public void refresh(a);

}
class Thread extends Board{
public void EmptyTitle(OP Anonymous){

String fullTitle = "EmptyTitle";
int postNumber = "346111";
String image = "video game font.jpg";
String date = "07/12/18(Thu)17:08:39";
String comment = "Hello /GD/, first time poster to your board but have been on the other boards for 10 years or so. Wish I looked around here earlier.

Anyway, I am trying to teach myself graphic design, for things like logos would i be doing most of that in a vector program and then touch it up in a bitmap one? Inkscape to gimp? Or illustrator to photoshop? I've been having a lot of trouble in gimp making shapes with any crisp clean edges so would appreciate the feedback.

I'll be looking around all the threads trying to soak up any information I can, but if you can point me to a good website for GIMP focused tutorials I would appreciate that a lot. I've been wasting a lot of time trying to reinterpret photoshop tutorials in GIMP and my progress with that has been really slow. Picture only slightly related, as Im trying to experiment and recreate video game fonts as practice."
;

}
public void comments(){
if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346112 && dateTime=="07/12/18(Thu)17:11:25" && image=="yeebox.png")

"Also before anyone says anything, I have browsed through your boards sticky, but its very incomplete and pretty obviously a WIP. Here is something shitty I did in my first day with GIMP. I think the best way to learn is by doing so have been trying to recreate logos I like.";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346114 && dateTime=="07/12/18(Thu)17:16:32")

">>346111
For logo design, read Logo Design Love. Use Adobe tools. For logos and simple graphics, better use Illustrator. For drawing, photography and retouching, use Photoshop."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346119 && dateTime=="07/12/18(Thu)17:46:33")

">>346114
I'll check out the book asap, thank you. And as far as Photoshop and illustrator go, unless I can get a student discount somehow I don't want to pay to use something I'm not using commercially yet. I also don't trust software cracks. If I just grind trying to learn as much as I can with gimp most of the knowledge transfer over?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346125 && dateTime=="07/12/18(Thu)18:23:23")

">>346119
>And as far as Photoshop and illustrator go, unless I can get a student discount somehow I don't want to pay to use something I'm not using commercially yet.
literally everyone pirates it, get over it. cracks just work.
GIMP is mostly the same as Photoshop for basics, for most tools/filters/modes and such. but it lacks crucial things that make Photoshop the standard for professionals. if you're starting out I'd suggest just getting Photoshop, less hassle and less bad habits made.
Haven't tried Inkscape much but I guess it can substitute for Illustrator in a pinch. Again, you're still better off with illustrator."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346128 && dateTime=="07/12/18(Thu)18:25:15")

">>346112
regarding jagged edges. turn on antialiasing in Tool Options window. also I guess it was your thread, see >>346044"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346134 && dateTime=="07/12/18(Thu)19:53:00" && image=="ty.png")

">>346125
Where would I go to do that? Things online have changed a lot in the last decade and it isn't as easy to do that stuff anymore. I really dislike the concept of a crack because you can never verify what is and isn't included in it. I found out that they recently changed to a subscription model, I may end up just doing that for peace of mind. 15 dollars a month isn't that bad.

>>346128
Damn I thought I had deleted that thread. Sorry about that. Too late to delete it now unfortunately. Your suggestion with pic related was absolutely spot on. But your other suggestions were great as well. Thank you for taking the time to write all of that. Is there a GIMP book anywhere? I hate the idea of floundering for hours on such simple stuff. It's difficult to know what to search for on youtube in regards to this stuff also since it is pretty specific and difficult to word in a search bar."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346136 && dateTime=="07/12/18(Thu)20:15:39")

">>346134
got mine from piratebay, but for Mac. don't know about Windows. works fine but I still have CS6. better get CC
>Is there a GIMP book anywhere?
I guess there are plenty accessible tutorials for Photoshop but as for GIMP I don't know, sorry. The programs are very similar, but same tools are often called different names.
Logos usually are drawn in vector. So if you plan on learning logos first, better get vector editor and learn working with beziers. GIMP is awful for vector. you can't just edit outlines and fills on the go, so you need to trace paths anew every time. also, GIMP doesn't have geometric primitives like circle or triangle. so I'd suggest to leave logos for vector.
also, GIMP just has a lot of quirks of its own. from hiding paths you create to not being able to draw circles. to put it blunt, prepare to get enraged a lot if you plan to keep using it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346140 && dateTime=="07/12/18(Thu)21:27:12")

">>346136
I didn't think anyone used that site anymore after what happened years back. Thanks for your advice and insight regarding gimp. I'll try to find a competent vector editor in the meantime, eventually I may switch to Adobe products if everyone here thinks its the only usable thing.

I dabble some in 3d modeling and it reminds me a bit of the argument regarding Blender and 3dmax and maya and the like. Nowadays you are seeing more and more production level products being made fully in free open source programs and I was hoping it would be the case in 2d fields as well.

Thank you again to everyone who has chimed in so far."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346177 && dateTime=="07/13/18(Fri)11:46:34")

">>346140
To put it shortly, there's no real competition for Adobe. Everyone here and everywhere uses their products, maybe aside for a tiny fraction of people who use other commercial sotfware. Using FOSS is going against the flow and against the obvious.
As far as free alternatives for raster go, there’s Krita and GIMP. The former is mostly for drawing though, it’s not really made for photo editing, filters, design, etc. I heard mostly good things about Krita but I haven't used it.
GIMP is a full-fledged raster image editor. Technically, it can do most things Photoshop can, except for more advanced and specific stuff. But it lacks severely in non-destructive editing and automation. This means that things which can be quickly repeated, edited and adjusted in Photoshop without losing work will have to be re-done completely in GIMP.
Also, Photoshop is de-facto standard for the industry, and for most people. So most tutorials on web will be Photoshop-centered, with only a fraction of quantity and quality of that for GIMP. Same goes for associated file formats.
There’s also a powerful stigma surrounding GIMP, it has become synonymous with awful work on DeviantArt and clunky and ugly FOSS. To be fair, this is somewhat overstated because GIMP improved over the years, and the software is not to blame for poor artists. However, the program is still clunky, confusing and not very pretty.
For vector FOSS, I only know of Inkscape, but I haven’t used it enough. I guess it’ll do for simple tasks. But again, like GIMP, it’s clunky and not pretty."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346210 && dateTime=="07/13/18(Fri)17:16:07")

">>346177
Looks like I'll be signing up for the creative cloud program if that's the case. As a student I might be able to get it cheaper for a year while learn.

Gimp and photoshop are image editors (or raster editors as you put it) but are they also tools someone would draw a complete painting or image in from start to finish? (assuming there was no need for vector lines) I remember things like SAI were popular a while back for drawing and Im curious what the exact overlap is with a raster editor like photoshop.

Thanks for entertaining all of my entry level questions btw. I probably will convert to photoshop alone just because I need to have total comprehensive understandings of what I'm doing. I can't even find a list of what each layer mode in GIMP is best suited or intended for besides "experimenting." I really prefer knowing things front and back."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346216 && dateTime=="07/13/18(Fri)18:16:23")

">>346210
It's up toy you but it can be pricey and everyone pirates Adobe tools anyway. There's actually a thread up right now how to do it, just in case.
>Gimp and photoshop are image editors (or raster editors as you put it) but are they also tools someone would draw a complete painting or image in from start to finish?
for drawing better see /ic/. but yes, it's totally possible to draw in them, although here Photoshop probably has edge.
>I can't even find a list of what each layer mode in GIMP is best suited or intended for besides "experimenting."
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-layer-modes.html
they are basically the same as Photoshop for most part. it's good to know layer modes but very often you don't need them, and they can act pretty unpredictable. not all of them are useful either. Most useful ones IMO are Darken/Lighten Only, Screen/Multiply, Hue/Saturation/Value, and Grain Merge/Extract. The rest is pretty unpredictable and some are only good for novelty effects. The same can be said about most filters, you only really need a fraction of them.
I'd suggest first learning every basic tool in the toolbox, especially ones dealing with selection. Then going through other aspects like curves, masks, basic filters like blur etc. This is the backbone of most work. Then just do some tutorials and see where you lack."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==346219 && dateTime=="07/13/18(Fri)19:01:38" && image=="fanboy.png")

">>346216
I'll check it out but am always paranoid it's going to come with spyware shit. Eventually I want to do this as a way to make money through practice, and the last thing I would want is a compromised system.

Thanks for the in depth link btw and your time. I made this clusterfuck largely with just the layer modes earlier. Not that I think it's impressive in any way, I just am surprised how versatile these modes are. I did in fact use screen for a lot of layers. The grid I made with lines and used distort for perspective, and screen made it glow. The bright bits in the background and the marbling on the bottom are white gradients on black put through the dodge mode."
;

}
}