}
class Thread extends Board{
public void /wbg/-WorldbuildingGeneral(OP Anonymous){

String fullTitle = "/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General";
int postNumber = "60713144";
String image = "wbgp.jpg";
String date = "07/07/18(Sat)00:41:28";
String comment = "/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General - New paradigm edition

Worldbuilding General is a thread to discuss everything about designing and crafting a world; from cartography, lore, and geography to theology, economics, and much more.

Previous Thread: >>60685620

/wbg/ discord:
• https://discord.gg/5wJ9ZBm

Thread information:
• Check out the PDF for useful links regarding cultures, inspiration, constructed languages (conlang), cartography and more.
• Don't loredump your setting and expect critique; please compile your information into a pdf and upload it instead, while giving a summary of your setting in the post.
• If you have suggestion for PDF links, please link your source and explain why it may be useful.

>prompts:

What empires have fallen recently in your setting? Is it a total collapse, or is it a regieme/dynasty shift? How arre the citizens handling it? Who caused it to happen?

Whats currently going on in the sewers of your capitals? Are vermin shifting about, or are there more malicous happenings underneath your sewers?

Is your setting prepared for a catclysmic force of nature? if not, how screwed are they? If so, what are their preperations?"
;

}
public void comments(){
if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60713177 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)00:43:29" && image=="Wbg OP pdf WIP (2).pdf")

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60713183 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)00:44:11")

">>60713144
I prefer the one where they're all touching the sauron ball thing"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60713239 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)00:48:10" && image=="HexographerCityographerDungeonographer.pdf")

">>60713144
>>60713177

Much better OP.

You should consider linking to this pdf somewhere in there, Hexographer and Cityographer in specific are really helpful on the mapmaking front."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60713343 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)00:54:20")

"It might be tidier to let the old thread die first.
Pdf will be ready for next thread, but you don;t seem to need now."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60713366 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)00:55:35")

">>60713343
I thought 300 was bump limit. i've been up for many hours straight. And thats why I wanted you in the discord for your input"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60713380 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)00:56:43")

"I want to build a world where all the races in the setting are some form of mutation of humans. Take Phantasy Star as an example, which has:
>Humans (Base race)
>Newmans (Genetically purfied humans, frail, good at magic, basically elves)
>Beasts (Humans mixed with non-human DNA, strong, hardy, like a mix between orcs or beastmen)
>CASTs (Androids almost, humans heavily modified through implants and fabricated limbs/organs. Good with guns and technology.)

My problem is that I wana set this in a typical "swords and magic" fantasy world. While I can spin inspiration from the first three races easily enough, cybernetics obviously isn't going to be a part of the setting and I don't wana resort to something as high-magic as "LOL MAGIC GOLEMS". I need helping coming up with a fourth race to round out the other three, but with a "magic" race and a "melee" race already, I'm not quite sure what's left. (In before "Thief Races", thief is a personality trait not a physical mutation.)

In before weebshit accusations."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60713793 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)01:32:55")

">What empires have fallen recently in your setting? Is it a total collapse, or is it a regieme/dynasty shift? How arre the citizens handling it? Who caused it to happen?

The one big empire collapsed a very long time ago. It was pretty huge, covered quite a lot of land whereas the current civilizations are huddled around one area. An age of storms utterly annihilated it, as in reduced the entire landmass to dust, creating an unnatural desert that likely won't ever go away. There are ruins there, and the remains of the empire's frightening sun worship and mass sacrifice religion. Things also stalk the ruins. The current civilizations might be descended from that empire, or people who mixed with natives.

>Whats currently going on in the sewers of your capitals? Are vermin shifting about, or are there more malicous happenings underneath your sewers?

The tech level is a little mish-mash medieval, people have personal outhouses and there are public, communal shitters. This stuff does go underground or is washed out somewhere else and since it'd be constantly dark and verminous down there, the congealed shadows would birth something nasty. Suffice it to say, loo witch is real.

>Is your setting prepared for a catclysmic force of nature? if not, how screwed are they? If so, what are their preperations?

Absolutely not, since at worst this get some real bad wind, snow, thunderstorms, dry spells. Nothing like typhoons or tornadoes, unless a wizard cooks them up and what would you even do? Or that age of storms that killed the empire. They've got some pretty strong forts, but you can only do so much as a medieval society. Preparations would be wizards first, walls second."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60713843 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)01:36:19")

">>60713380
Shapeshifters, maybe. But nerf their ability to something like they have to eat the thing they want to turn into, whole, and they can't have drastic changes to size or physical power. Carnivorous, sneaky, keep the source of their powers hidden from other races for fear of being branded monsters."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60714044 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)01:53:44")

">>60713380
melee and magic are a preferred form of attack, so just say you don't want a thief race and leave it at that

besides, agility/flexibility is the only stat that makes sense that's left out of those"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60714145 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)02:04:18")

">>60713380
Could maybe take inspiration from the original Might and Magic games. They had devil aliens with starships set in an otherwise completely medieval fantasy setting."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60714228 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)02:11:49" && image=="831B8D65-7A5B-441B-AAA5-27B5724B28C6.jpg")

"Is it too boring to, in my setting, include as a major plot point for global politics the invention of fractional reserve banking and the horrors it is wreaking on all the major civilized nations? It is basically the driving force that has thrown most of the major world powers into bankruptcy, starting wars and making them unable to hold onto their colonies due to the mounting costs.";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60714315 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)02:19:07")

">>60714228
If you know enough about the subject and can create an interesting story out of it, literally anything goes. It could be about sentient pine cones struggling in a Orwellian future and as long as it was enjoyable to read/play I wouldn't give a shit.
Honestly your idea sounds pretty cool and I wish I was smart enough to know what the fuck fractional reserve banking even is."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60714455 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)02:35:58")

">>60714315
Fractional reserve banking is an idea born out of the invention of paper money, or originally bank notes. Basically the idea that a bank will have a large amount of money stored at any given time, in precious metals mostly, and that people will trade bank notes with each other for their purchases. This was in an era where there would be no centralized monetary note for a country, like the dollar, and instead banks all printed their own notes. This causes notes to vary wildly in value depending on where you are.

Now where fractional reserve comes in was the idea that a bank doesn’t need to hold all of its money. Instead it only needs a fraction of the money at any given time because not everyone will come asking for their money at once. This makes the amount of money they are able to loan out to people basically increases 10 fold overnight as the idea is adopted. They incentivize the people with accounts at the bank to allow them to do this with better interest rates since the banks now make more money.

This is the Wild West of finance. You can probably already see some problems with this. So many different bank notes around means that if a particular bank goes out of business the bank notes become worthless. This coupled with the fact that if everyone does come for their money at once, because each bank only holds onto a fraction at any given time, the bank won’t be able to give out money and will collapse.

Collapses are often caused by sudden panics where more and more people will attempt to withdraw. This can be triggered by bad loans on he bank’s part.

Now these ideas, when applied right after their invention on enormous scales, can cause events like the South Sea Bubble, a debt crisis so bad that now in England, 300 years later, it was a big deal that in 2015 they were making a payment towards this consolidated debt."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60714540 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)02:44:47")

">>60714455
That sounds good to me, even though I am a retard when it comes to economics."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60714925 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)03:30:05")

"How can I make the concept of mana more interesting without cribbing notes from M:tG?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60715082 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)03:47:42")

">>60714925
crib notes from mtg and other stuff

then mash them together"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60715147 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)03:53:26")

">>60715082
>other stuff
Like?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60715466 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)04:37:15")

">>60715147
Not him but, anything. Just find SOMETHING vaguely similar somewhere in Western/Eastern myth or in some other fantasy work. Then steal it and make it your own."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60715591 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)04:51:49")

">>60714540
It's a system that works well as long as the economy can remain stable, but cannot recover or respond quickly to any sort of rapid economical shift. So depending on the environment it can either work well, or it can be a catastrophe waiting to happen."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60716121 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)06:00:38")

">>60713177

Looks great, very useful.

If anyone sees anything missing just post it and we'll add it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60716152 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)06:05:25")

">>60715591
I think I sort of get it. Your world sounds pretty interesting to me. Very few people focus on the economic side of things."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60716857 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)07:56:12" && image=="1515863113061.jpg")

""In the 71st century, the descendants of humanity, the Solarians, the Children of Earth, are spreading out across the galaxy. We have many forms, and wield amazing tech and magick that reshape the stars to our will. Many have become gods, though others have become...something else. Transcendence isn't kind to us all.

The galaxy is mostly empty, wracked from some cosmic conflict many eons ago, at least that's what the alien species that had found us had told us. We had seen proof of the perpetrators later, once we had reached out farther into the Great Wheel, the galaxy. They were not from here, not from spacetime. Some were like monsters, like demons, they would form right out of the darkness, burning like ember-bound firewood, and filled with malice and rage. Others were like...well they were like angels! Beautiful, wise, some with indescribable forms that would actually hurt to look at for too long, like staring into the sun. They say they come from a Higher Dimension. The monsters...no one knows where they come from..."

What impressions do you get from this short setting description?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60717461 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)09:08:01")

">What empires have fallen recently in your setting? Is it a total collapse, or is it a regieme/dynasty shift? How arre the citizens handling it? Who caused it to happen?
Basically a big magical nuke and the magical radiation that followed was the final nail in the coffin.
>Whats currently going on in the sewers of your capitals? Are vermin shifting about, or are there more malicous happenings underneath your sewers?
There are ancient evils buried below. Dead but still posing a threat to the world.
>Is your setting prepared for a catclysmic force of nature? if not, how screwed are they? If so, what are their preperations?
Humans are screwed if that happens. Only the gnomes are prepared, they even developed secret spaceships in case the planet blows up. (this is a medieval setting btw)"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60717525 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)09:15:33")

">>60716857
Too far removed from everyday life. Hard to relate to.

The lovecraftian elements are on the other hand too relateable. Make the eldritch horrors be actual eldritch horrors, instead of 40k warp entity ripoffs."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60717532 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)09:16:05")

">>60716857
>The monsters...no one knows where they come from...

la creatura..."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60717631 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)09:28:10" && image=="kalamar.png")

">>60713366
That makes sense. I did sign up and try to make contact.
I like the term 'Loredump'.
>>60713239
Nice, thanks."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60717634 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)09:28:28")

">>60716857
REMOVE QU"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60717833 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)09:50:04")

">>60717525
>Too far removed from everyday life. Hard to relate to.

I'm keeping the godhood ascension, it's a fairly large theme in my setting, hamhandedly borrowed from Orion's Arm mind you.

>The lovecraftian elements are on the other hand too relateable. Make the eldritch horrors be actual eldritch horrors, instead of 40k warp entity ripoffs.

Now THIS I can do. So, make the "angels" more...daunting? And the "demons" more...what? Actually horrible? What if I told you they invade planets and entire systems and burn them to the ground by hand, because they eat not only ash, but they thrive on the "ether print" left by tortured souls. So a planet they invaded with ground troops who raped, pillaged, and tortured the inhabitants tastes better and empowers them more than a planet they straight up glass or vaporize."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60717880 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)09:55:08" && image=="1529315859364.jpg")

">>60713177
Much nicer than what I had.
I would like to include a list of mapping software with reviews by anons. It makes a pretty good prompt question.

Mapping Software Reviews
Some Anons use QGIS. Works not just for spheres, but also oblate spheroids of any size (like for example the Earth) and the newest version even has 3D mapping capabilities.
I got the best results with an old version of Photoshop. Inkscape is pretty nice, but not as intuitive as PS. I have seen beautiful work done in Inkscape.
I ended up using both MS Paint and Inkscape to finish a map. I could not figure out how to do a certain effect in Inkscape that was simple in MS Paint.

Adobe used to offer old versions of PS for free on their website. They might still do.
GIMP is free, and is a clone of PS that lots of people like.
Both PS and GIMP are art programs and not mapping programs. This is mostly a good thing but does not make things faster."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60717919 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)09:58:41")

">>60717833
Have the "angels" (mind you i think this dichotomy between good and bad eldritch horrors too founded in contemporary morals) only seem friendly because of some unseen scheme. They only serve humanity in the sense that if they guide us we will fit into some unseen plan that in the end serves them and no other.

"ether print left by tortured souls", this seems laughable IMO, sorry. Your setting deals with transhumanism and ascendancy, but in the end these super beings are just edgy "lol evil" caricatures who feed on suffering?

I would really think long and hard about what it means to transcend technology, morality and ethics, and how to go deep into the nitty gritty of sci-fi. Or, just scope it all back a bit and make it over all more relateable."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60718146 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)10:21:59" && image=="cover2.jpg")

"Here is a cover you can use for the pdf if you wish.";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60718271 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)10:33:42")

">>60717919
>(mind you i think this dichotomy between good and bad eldritch horrors too founded in contemporary morals)

I've considered this too, and have thought about adding some 3rd party extra-dimensional factions besides the angels and the demons (tentatively called Celestials and Hellborne currently). One 3rd party I've thought about would be like the self-transforming machine elves from Hyperspace from breakthrough psychedelic experiences (calling them Jaxx currently). Idk, the moral dichotomy does feel a bit off from the rest of the setting, but I think it provides an accent to it, possibly. I'll explain further down.

>"ether print left by tortured souls", this seems laughable IMO, sorry. Your setting deals with transhumanism and ascendancy, but in the end these super beings are just edgy "lol evil" caricatures who feed on suffering?

My justification is that this is just their nature, from whatever realm they originate from this is basically amounts to "the path of least resistance", or even "benevolence". Like how a ack of wolves isn't evil for eating an elk alive, Hellborne aren't "lol evil" for invading planets and torturing their inhabitants, it's just how they operate.

How would you do the "tortured ether print" deal?

>I would really think long and hard about what it means to transcend technology, morality and ethics, and how to go deep into the nitty gritty of sci-fi. Or, just scope it all back a bit and make it over all more relateable.

Yeah, I'll do both of those, though I still want to have elements in my game that get your noggin joggin and are hard to digest, I feel like a game taking place 5000 years in the future should have at least some elements that are hard to grasp."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60718296 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)10:35:36" && image=="dac46b56-f52d-4401-b7e9-7f437157a8ae.png")

">>60718146
Hmm, the text is a little small for the thumbnail.

Someone over at discord was talking about flags, SCA blazonry might work, this software is limited, but pretty."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60718428 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)10:46:39")

">>60718271

I mean, in the end its just a matter of taste, so do what you think is fun. As a massive lovecraft sperg i am merely throwing in my 2 cents.

>a game taking place 5000 years in the future should have at least some elements that are hard to grasp.

A setting that far of, with a humanity that far gone (ascendancy is a big deal) you don't just need elements that alienate, the entire setting should be completely foreign. Its tough to run in a satisfactory manner (at least for people like me), hence why my first recommendation is to scale it back a notch or two.

>How would you do the "tortured ether print" deal?

I wouldn't at all. Being a lovecraft sperg i would emphasize the coldblooded nature of multi dimensional lifeforms. Maybe they cause untold agony from their terraforming simply as a, for them, unforeseen consequence. Don't have the suffering be the end goal, have it be merely a side effect. Beings from other universes need to be completely alien to be believable. You as a DM should not even know their lifecycle, and the way the players learn of whatever scraps of it they can, should be from disparate and conflicting information. They should be enigma's. Terrifying in their incomprehensibility.

On that note, an ascended humanity would, in effect, ALSO be terrifying enigmas. To me, running a truly transhumanistic setting is almost impossible. Maybe look towards Tsutomo Nihei's Blame! for inspiration. He does alienating transhumanism pretty well, while still being sort of comprehensible."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60718445 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)10:48:05" && image=="pile o junk.png")

"It can't stop you from messing it up, but
it's fun to play with.
https://drawshield.net/build/index.html#top"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60718693 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)11:09:13")

">>60718296
>SCA blazonry might work
NO"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60718701 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)11:09:43" && image=="1530192460530.jpg")

">>60713177

It would be nice to include something like this in the intro.

"Some awesome Anon made a very nice resource list years ago for /wbg/.
Thank you. It is the foundation of this pdf.""
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60718724 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)11:10:59" && image=="1527308279087.jpg")

">>60718693
Care to elaborate?"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60718980 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)11:28:30" && image=="cover3.jpg")

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60719059 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)11:33:10")

">>60718980
why this picture tho"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60719482 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)12:00:42")

">>60719059

We can swap em from time to time, it's not bad.

It's just the pdf cover not the op."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60720659 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)13:23:41" && image=="metallic-earth-globe-gears-background-31024579.jpg")

">>60719059
Pulp cover, black with yellow dress, giant feather like a quill. The connection is somewhat oblique.
I was hoping for a mad scientist assembling a planet on his workbench, or a cog and world theme.
I don't really care, This pic would work ok.
Women on the cover of magazines is a powerful motivator and very traditional."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60720678 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)13:24:34")

">>60720659
>black with yellow dress
We ancap now"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60720772 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)13:30:16" && image=="worldbuilding-1024x575.jpg")

">>60720659
>>60718980
Think this is too "on the nose"?"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60720808 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)13:32:52" && image=="redwallwebres-1.jpg")

">>60720678
>>60718980
What's ancap? Black back ground makes it legible as a thumbnail and is dramatic.

Besides, guys are trained to click on pictures of girls.

>>60719482
Trading them out is fine.

Consistent images have value, too. Easier to spot in the catalog."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60720842 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)13:34:43" && image=="worldbuilding.jpg")

">>60720772
Fixed :D"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60720946 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)13:41:04" && image=="Nazi NYC.jpg")

">>60720772
No, it is very nice and would work.

I either put the title over the image or reduce the image and put the title above it. Magazine format art, like pulps, were designed for text and visual appeal at a distance, this tends to give them an advantage as thumbnails."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60721318 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)14:06:57")

">>60720842
unironically this"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60721386 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)14:12:06")

">>60720772
I swear this was the /wbg/ op image for at least 6 months at one point. Am I just taking crazy pills?"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60721412 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)14:13:33" && image=="Mean Ass Beer Breath.jpg")

">>60721386
It was indeed.."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60721415 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)14:13:54")

">>60721386
No, you're remembering correctly."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60722112 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)15:02:39")

">>60718428
>A setting that far of, with a humanity that far gone (ascendancy is a big deal) you don't just need elements that alienate, the entire setting should be completely foreign.

I agree for the most part, only wanting to really "pull back" from the need to make it actually playable by this time's standards. But yes, having concepts that have you scratching your head is part of the fun of making this setting for me.

>Its tough to run in a satisfactory manner (at least for people like me), hence why my first recommendation is to scale it back a notch or two.

Right, I need to strike a balance between familiarity to ground the players and far-fetched futuristic concepts to keep them interested and curious.

>I wouldn't at all. Being a lovecraft sperg i would emphasize the coldblooded nature of multi dimensional lifeforms. Maybe they cause untold agony from their terraforming simply as a, for them, unforeseen consequence. Don't have the suffering be the end goal, have it be merely a side effect. Beings from other universes need to be completely alien to be believable. You as a DM should not even know their lifecycle, and the way the players learn of whatever scraps of it they can, should be from disparate and conflicting information. They should be enigma's. Terrifying in their incomprehensibility.

Interesting take. I actually have lore for the life-cycle of the Hellborne (they metmorphose, kind of like evolving pokemon, when they have eaten enough tortured ash, at least currently that's what I have them doing).

>On that note, an ascended humanity would, in effect, ALSO be terrifying enigmas. To me, running a truly transhumanistic setting is almost impossible. Maybe look towards Tsutomo Nihei's Blame! for inspiration. He does alienating transhumanism pretty well, while still being sort of comprehensible.

I'll look into it, thanks for your help. If you have any other tips or just questions about my setting feel free to ask."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60722756 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)15:42:43")

"my snowflake dragonborn
>magic makes lair and creates runoff magical energy
>dragonborns are a side effect of settlements located in proximity to dragons
>metallics create rare but not uncommon humans to be born by humans that have skin resmbling the dragon in the area and eventually become dragon like as they reach the usual dragonborn maturity age
>Chromatic dragons being greedy assholes cause humans who reflect their personality traits to slowly transform into the traditional dragonlike humanoid and are academically refered to as Dragonborne to differentiate from the Dragonborn of Metallics"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60723097 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)16:03:51" && image=="temple.jpg")

"I'm trying to design the ruins of a wealthy island jungle culture that had a long list of deities with a heavy bent towards snakes in a general sense. I've never been great at fleshing out religion in my settings though, and to that end I'd like to ask if anyone has any pointers or anything for helping me fabricate quality religions.";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60723614 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)16:35:53")

">>60723097
I think the first question is why do they worship their snake gods? Do they teach enlightenment? Do they provide for their faithful? Protect them from something else? Creator gods or guardians of a peaceful afterlife? Is it part of a grand cosmic order? People worship deities because there's something to be gained from following the faith, so what did this culture gain from theirs?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60723665 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)16:39:06")

"What is the F+ meme from?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60723747 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)16:43:10" && image=="map3.jpg")

"Does editing the real world map considered as cheating or cheap? I'm having a hard time making a new original map for myself but found editing and mismatching real world map to be much easier. Does it break immersion easily?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60723899 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)16:52:33")

">>60723747
I think it looks decent. Just stay away from using too noticeable of locations. For me the kamchatka peninsula gives it away, but I am quite autistic when it comes to the world map. I kind of doubt anyone else would notice it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60724058 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)17:01:46" && image=="1529798638439.png")

"I'm fucking scared guys it feels like I don't have what it takes to make a truly god tier setting anymore. I could make an above average one but not one that can turn heads and get people asking for more whenever I even hint about it.
Back when I was humble and thought all of you guys were fucking brilliant and way beyond the stuff I was doing my work was incredible, Now that I've gotten used to the whole deal and have seen that everyone but me is misguided and retarded everything is shit. I can't even find the solution through just aimlessly like I usually do when I make posts like this.

This board is a corrupting influence that has completely ruined my creative ability. I hate you all and I hope that some day I can come back here with a fresh set of eyes,"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60724067 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)17:02:16")

">>60713144
I'm trying write a broad outline of my setting's history and I'm looking for inspiration. A long time ago I saw a pdf with a long list of possible historical events/trends: "rebellion", "plague", "birth of a prophet." etc. Does anyone have that are or something similar."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60724119 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)17:05:03")

">>60724058
sounds like a personal problem tbqh famalam"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60724178 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)17:07:49")

">>60723747
I use a map of Pangaea, I just add or subtract what I want. Unless you're a massive geography autist, it doesn't matter.

>>60724058
It's a hobby, don't take it so seriously."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60725029 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)17:51:00")

">>60723747
Only serious history/geography autists and hardcore players of paradox games can even draw a decent world map from memory, let alone recognise it's chopped and spliced pieces.

Don't be silly and put the whole Italian or Scandinavian peninsula in there and you'll be safe from 99.9% of people."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60725147 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)17:58:15")

">>60723747
It is Best in Life. You will hear the lamentations of their women."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60725438 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)18:14:59" && image=="maxresdefault.jpg")

"Who is the 1840's Prussia of your setting?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60726417 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)19:11:51")

">>60720772
Yes. Variations of "hand holding/painting the Earth" are the first pic you see on a dozen different worldbuilding communities on the internet."
;

if(ConlangAnon && title=="" && postNumber==60726738 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)19:34:02")

"High Elf text sample:
”A kʷa dəpɛ e mo:gʷə tiʒi lai nalã:n, ɛ̃n söpɔi la”
"Ma ɸʷoiwɔi hmi sãŋ seu dərəsa ʒa me: hou dy? Ma ai y kɔrɛ: bowɔula: ʒa za hɔwœ̃:n ʃe bain ʃe y bö:sə ʒa zaɸʷõn ʒa za hɔ:, arə ai byʒœ nĩŋtʷy za ʃunɛ tmɛlana: ĩ:m e raukə za knojɛ ʒãn zeɸʷõn. Ma ai stɛuwœ gna Mɛru ekra atroi taɸʷtɔi dy? Tyjy sa:bə ɸʷɛi pratrewœ u: wanu:ʒɛ gna ɸʷkoja:mɛ ʒãn gʷjajɛ. Tyjy sa:bə ɸʷɛi saugnœ u: dema:ʒɛ gna kɔrɛ:rɛ. Tyjy sa:bə ɸʷɛi yʃywœ u: kraknarɛ gna ʒə siʃui. Ma ai ɸʷɛiwœ atrœ̃n kœʃkʷœ, duipe e gri:zə meu pasa: ɸʷu meunœ pəhœzɛ ʒãn ɔgrɛ laiwə hakõntõnɛ beirei dy?"

”A kwa dèpé e mōgwè tijí lai nalān, én sópúi la.”
”Ma hwoiwái hmi sang seu dèrèsa ja mē hou dí? Ma ai í kárê bowáulā ja za háwûn ce bain ce í bôsè ja zahwon ja za hâ, arè ai bíjú ningtwí za cuné tmélanā īm e raukè za knoyé jan zehwon. Ma ai stéuwú gna Méru ekra atroi tahwtái dí? Tíyí sābè hwéi pratrewú ū wanūjé gna hwkoyāmé jan gwyayé. Tíyí sābè hwéi saugnú ū demājé gna kárêré. Tíyí sābè hwéi ícíwú ū kraknaré gna jè sicui. Ma ai hwéiwú atrún kúckwú, duipe e grīzè meu pasā hwu meunú pèhúzé jan ágré laiwé hakontoné beirei dí?”

1/2"
;

if(ConlangAnon && title=="" && postNumber==60726777 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)19:36:47" && image=="High Elf.png")

"Forgot pic

>>60726738
I'm trying out different transcription systems and this is the one I prefer right now. The labialized voiceless bilabial fricative /ɸʷ/ is transcribed "hw". "f" would be easier but it doesn't convey the whispy, whistling quality of the phoneme. Trying to represent all the vowel qualities as well as the length distinction was difficult. I really wanted to avoid double-vowels since there's something very awkward about them. I also never liked the umlaut-diacritic; it brings to mind Turkish and German which were not the kind of associations I wanted for this language. I ended up with a fairly straightforward accent distinction:

/a/ - a
/a:/ - ā
/ɔ/ - á
/ɔ:/ - â

The only odd man out is the schwa vowel /ə/ which is written "è"

Other than that the transcription is fairly straightforward and conventional:
/tʷ/, /kʷ/ and /gʷ/ are transcribed "tw", "kw" and "gw" respectively.
/ʃ/ (that's the english "sh" sound) is written "c".
/ʒ/ ("si" as in "vision") is written "j".
/j/ is written "y". Being Danish I'd prefer transcribing it "j" but it would just confuse the anglos and "y" fits in nicely with the rest of the system so why not?
/β~w/ is written "w", since this is how it's pronounced most of the time anyway.

2/2"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60727219 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)20:04:00")

">>60726738
>>60726777
This doesn't really feel like what I'd expect High Elf language to sound like to me. Feels kind of like French crossed with some African language.

Actually, French crossed with African is basically Kreyol, isn't it? That kind of does look a bit like Kreyol. With a trillion extra diacritics."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60727358 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)20:11:58")

">>60726738
too many diacritics, and its reads and sounds more like a halfling language"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60727489 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)20:21:45")

">>60726738
Oh my god, you make my head hurt. Don't stop.

I feel like I could look at a menu in this and be able to get the waitress to maybe bring me something I wanted. If I wave my hands and point. Being clueless in foreign countries is never dull.

Would you be willing to translate a short phrase for me? At the bottom you could put the proper language name and and whatever credits you prefer."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60727670 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)20:38:28")

">>60724058
>I could make an above average one but not one that can turn heads and get people asking for more whenever I even hint about it.

lol

>Back when I was humble and thought all of you guys were fucking brilliant and way beyond the stuff I was doing my work was incredible,

double lol

>Now that I've gotten used to the whole deal and have seen that everyone but me is misguided and retarded everything is shit. I can't even find the solution through just aimlessly like I usually do when I make posts like this.

cool story, here's your (You)"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60728063 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)21:08:09")

">>60724058
Wow, so you're *actually* retarded."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60728227 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)21:21:48")

There's not!Rome, but that's not quite recent. Other empires have risen and fallen in the tumultuous uncharted regions but everything behind the totally necessary and not progress inhibiting at all giant wall (this message paid for by the Order of Denselre) is pretty much static, with power concentrated into only 3 real polities that have no way of making progress against each other.
Some of the oldest districts of the city are now built over with new streets and city blocks. Due to the ancient streets being turned into sewer lines for the surface, no one lives there but the poor and destitute, and those who wish to live beyond the law's reaches. Basically an Underhive on a much smaller, medieval scale.
Hell to the fuck no. Pretty much everything but the Elven territory and the Northeastern most parts of the unknown regions are due for a magical ass whooping that will pretty much make them uninhabitable, or at least Siberia tier."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60728682 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)21:58:48")

">>60725438
>implying any fictional work can depict something as great as Prussia in any worthy fashion"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60728790 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)22:07:22")

">>60725438
>>60728682
Redpill me on Prussia"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60728835 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)22:10:35" && image=="Prussia%2C_Iron_Cross_1st_Class_of_the_Wars_of_Liberation%2C_Form_of_1_June_1813%2C_obverse.jpg")

">>60728790
read Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600–1947"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60728874 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)22:13:40")

">>60728790
Greatest state ever, the pinnacle of human achievement
Became great through hard work and dedication of brilliant rulers like Frederick the Great, revolutionised warfare in the 19th century, unified Germany and was the largest source of its culture
It also has nothing to do with the nazis since the state of Prussia had ceased to be of importance as its own entity since 1918 and the Prussian officer caste weren't fans of Hitler and even tried to assassinate him once

If you hear someone talk shit about Prussia its likely because their country was beaten by them in the past

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I am German with ties to Prussia and therefore am a biased source"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60729559 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)23:15:33")

"where did you guys start when translating the setting and ideas in your head to paper? Did you just start jotting down everything in a chaotic haze, or did you try and organize your initial notes?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60729898 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)23:48:16")

">>60729559
it is generally a better idea to jot it down first as it comes and organize it later"
;

if(Balthazarr, the Mad !!hQW2Rt/THGB && title=="" && postNumber==60729996 && dateTime=="07/07/18(Sat)23:56:14" && image=="1456040362769.jpg")

">>60725438
The empire of the Djiin, who once ruled the lands of Gorgoth by brass sword and efreeti slave. They brought the bloodroot plant to our world, and through it made the bloodwine drug that permeates modern Beastmen territory."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60730091 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)00:06:49")

">>60729996
I knwo what the artist was going for but that dude looks like he is pissing himself."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60730261 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)00:23:19")

">>60729559
Genuinely can't remember. But I know it evolved quite a bit over time and had some pretty drastic re-writes and restructuring. I had a big world full of continents and a complicated magic system, but had a massive change of mind and did a rewrite of the entire setting keeping only a few previous ideas. Now it's focused on a much smaller area and with a completely different central cosmology and magic philosophy, barely resembles the old one.

I've found the process to be very mercurial, to be honest. Sometimes I'll think I have it pretty much as I like it, but then think up something else or read about something that I'll want to include and add to it. I find I go from a central idea and it explodes outwards, best to get all your stuff down and then begin structuring it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60731273 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)01:57:12")

">>60729559
I just throw shit down on notepad, dawg. Any ideas that come into your mind you should document it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60731361 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)02:04:30")

"What sorts of sports are played by the people in your settings?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60731393 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)02:07:57")

">>60731361
I was trying to this one shounen fucking sport for my setting where players are put into two teams pitted against each other. There's an attack and defense team, the arena is a simulated castle construction, and the attackers have to plant their banner on the target and hoist it up. The players spar and they wear this weird ceramic armor that shatters after enough damage. Each team has specific players like fast dude or bug slow dude or whatever. It doesn't make much sense but whatever."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60731439 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)02:12:08")

">>60728790
What I find most interesting about Prussia is not it's military achievements but their status within the Holy Roman Empire / German Empire. Back in the day the HRE was a bunch of semi-sovereign states, but Prussia came to dominate the political scene, nearly becoming the leader of all the German sovereignties, rivaling Austria. It eventually formed the German Empire with the rest of the German states minus Austria, and the King of Prussia was declared German Emperor."
;

if(ConlangAnon && title=="" && postNumber==60732591 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)04:18:28")

">>60727219
I'm trying to go for something different from the classical Tolkienesque elvish language. French is actually one of the main inspirations, so that's fine.

>>60727358
You're right about the diacretics, i have to figure out some way to make it easier on the eye. Just out of curiosity; what does Halfling language look like to you?

>>60727489
Sure, I need acces to my notes first, though, so it will be a couple of hours."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60732963 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)04:56:12")

"Anyone here given Microscope and/or Kingdom a shot for Worldbuilding?
I've played a heavily modified Dawn of Worlds before, put just recently picked up Microscope and Kingdom with plans to give them a shot."
;

if(ConlangAnon && title=="" && postNumber==60733328 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)05:44:55")

">>60727489
Alright:
"Ma ai y kɔrɛ: bowɔula: ʒa za hɔwœ̃:n ʃe bain ʃe y bö:sə ʒa zaɸʷõn ʒa za hɔ:, arə ai byʒœ nĩŋtʷy za ʃunɛ tmɛlana: ĩ:m e raukə za knojɛ ʒãn zeɸʷõn."
->
"You are a prettied up harbor whore to be sold off to a sailor faggot who spent the last 50 days fucking the asses of men."

Literally:
"You are a whore up-prettied of the harbor for sale for a faggot of man of the ocean, who are used five-ten the days last on to fuck the asses of men."

The rest of it is similarly obscene."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60733832 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)06:58:51")

">>60733328
Thanks, I was actually hoping for this:

"Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60734294 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)08:02:29")

">>60726738
You need to develop some sort of orthography, it doesn't "feel" like elvish because it's still using the IPA symbols."
;

if(ConlangAnon && title=="" && postNumber==60734426 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)08:18:30")

">>60734294
Yes, that's because the top paragraph literally is IPA.

The bottom is the WIP orthography, although I'm planning to edit it to reflect the consonant clusters in a less awkward manner."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60734487 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)08:25:37")

">>60734426
I notice that you use both the macron and the cirumflex, what's the difference?"
;

if(ConlangAnon && title=="" && postNumber==60734532 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)08:31:01")

">>60734487
See:
>>60726777

They both reflect long vowels but for different vowel qualities. I was considering breaking out the extra danish vowels, but it would look weird."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60735776 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)10:45:17" && image=="1354148668697.jpg")

"What makes the most sense for an oppressive government keeping mutants with powers under control in their hellish prison camp?
>Chemical additive that makes prevents power use.
>Inhibitor collars that detect the use of powers and result in electric shocks or sedative injection.
>Technological device that produces a no-powers field.
>Minefields and snipers outside the mutie camp.
>Mutants working against other mutants because of leverage."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60735815 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)10:48:50")

">>60735776
If the government can't use the mutants, they should just shoot them in the head.
If they can use the mutants, then it should be a "training camp" like the earth kingdom airbenders in LoK.
Honestly, what's the point in keeping them just to keep them? Seems like a lot of resources that are wasted on keeping mutants alive when there's nothing to gain."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60735844 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)10:51:42")

">>60735776
>Honestly, what's the point in keeping them just to keep them?
Experimentation, mostly, but also hostages to leverage other mutants.
Also, for some reason it's really hard to pass legislation that turns internment camps created during a panic into death camps, after the panic has subsided."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60736292 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)11:25:15")

">>60713144
>What empires have fallen recently in your setting? Is it a total collapse, or is it a regime/dynasty shift? How are the citizens handling it? Who caused it to happen?

Nehrovian Empire nearly fell and they had to move from the more traditional feudalism to clerk controlled bureaucracy because of this. The casualties the noble caste received basically meant that whole families were destroyed and the lands were inherited by the state. This move to clerk controlled bureaucracy has made Nehrovians stronger.

In the New Capital the sewers are either well made and maintained, badly maintained or non-existing. The city has expanded a lot and the old city has managed to keep their infrastructure in working order. The newer part of the city has a lot of problems with sewage and infrastructure. This has lead to smugglers and criminals to use the sewers to use move or hide goods. It is more common for them to operate in the poorly constructed parts of the city than go into filthy sewers. Even the criminals have standards.

No one really was prepared for the appearance of Garban The Fiend which caused catastrophic damage to Western Kingdoms. If another similar appearance would happen there, most likely no one would have enough power to stop it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60736535 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)11:43:13" && image=="Poor-Knights-Islands.jpg")

"My world's gonna be a massive (functionally) endless ocean with islands (think maybe a bit smaller than Australia sized) that shift around on it relatively fast compared to Earth's geological movement, with different gods tied to the various islands, with the collision (usually quite devastating) and near-misses/passbys of islands being major cultural exchange events.
Does this sound like a good basis for a setting? I've only got the barebones at the moment, but I'm enjoying thinking of how stuff would effect the history of the place."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60736628 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)11:50:15")

">>60736535
I think you'd find that your islands' are exchanging culture via swords and spears."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60736756 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)11:59:23")

">>60736628
Yeah, I imagine that'd happen quite often!
Strange people with stranger customs crashing their island into yours seems to be a pretty reasonable reason to poke people with pointy sticks."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60736849 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)12:07:06")

">>60736756
Are you planning on using this setting for a game or for a book or something else?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60736857 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)12:07:28")

">>60736535
Jared Diamond writes an episode of Noah's island?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60736939 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)12:14:18")

">>60736849
I like writing short stories, and if I ever find the time might one day write a book. But for now it'll probably start off as a game setting for my regular tabletop group I've been playing with for a few years.
>>60736857
Never heard Jared Diamond, but I do remember seeing Noah's Island when I was like 5 or something, thanks for the nostalgia."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60737409 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)12:41:03")

">>60736535
at least it sounds kinda original"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60737550 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)12:49:41")

">>60735815
Well, you can always do experiments on them."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60737598 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)12:53:31")

">>60724067

That sounds really cool. Please post it if you find it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60737645 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)12:57:33")

">>60729559

That's what brains are for. Then one day you can't remember the name of the order of weirdo monks you came up with but you know you liked what you had... That's when you start writing shit down.

I used Google docs for a while, I've tried Archivos and that kind of helped flesh some things out. But in the end I decided to use indesign and lay things out more like a splat book or something. It helps to sort of look at it and realize, "well that makes no sense without this context, I'd better add a section for that.." etc.

Also I have a fancy workbook pdf I made to fill in for details and ideas"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60737900 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)13:15:17" && image=="6908001.jpg")

">>60736535
The smaller the island, the faster it goes.
Some take regular routes and can be used to travel between big islands. Tiny islands filled with pirates raid as they go by."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60738001 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)13:24:54")

">>60737900
So what's that white zone in the middle supposed to be?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60738123 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)13:35:01")

">>60736535
Something to think about: I read somewhere that religious missionaries are particularly effective on islands because of geographic isolation. So religions might spread more quickly."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60738178 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)13:39:00")

">>60713144
Sup /tg/, my party is about to try to break into a vault owned by a bank/death-cult that extends quite far into the earth. What sorts of strange hazards and tempting traps should they encounter."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60738218 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)13:42:17")

">>60736535
Im fine with that, I ran a setting called The Shifting Seas where thats basically how things went, except that islands explicitly floated and moved around pretty dang quick (your neighborhood of islands could vary from month to month, though some islands were tethered by great ropes at the hands of ancient heroes)."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60738398 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)13:56:19")

">>60736535
Hell yeah. What happens when islands collide? Are there just small fragments and ruins of islands floating around out there? Can anyone claim them? Anything spooky or fun on them?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60738686 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:16:07")

">>60726777
>>60726738
>Not Tolkien enough
>t. average /wbg/poster
I like what you did with it, though. Pronouncing bilabial stops moving straight into y or another stop is fun stuff. Definitely my favorite part of the language so far.
>>60731361
>expecting /tg/ to care about sports"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60738851 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:28:14")

">>60736535
Imagine if there's a giant clusterfuck of islands bounded together by the BBEG as his empire. Would be fun to explore multiple biomes knitted together like those old PS1 or SNES games. It's believable enough as well."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60738911 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:31:56" && image=="Topography_Sri_Lanka.jpg")

">>60737900
>>60738001
Higher elevation."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60738916 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:32:10" && image=="woof.jpg")

">Werewolves that reach an advanced age transform one final time, if they survive they are permanently trapped in a form of varying grotesquery. From the mercifully 'normal' gigantic wolf variant to the twisted horror manbeast type. Those that survive this process become highly respected Elder wolves, often finding a secluded place to rest in their twilight years and share their wisdom with younger werewolves who seek them out.

Hows this sound? Also would it be better to have them be cared for by younger werewolves like real wolves do with their eldery or just be alone, very powerful creatures like The Unseen elder."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60738927 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:33:02" && image=="india-river-map-without-names-sri-lanka-free-map-free-blank-map-free-outline-map-free-base-intended-for-970-x-1216.gif.jpg")

"";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60738960 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:35:14" && image=="GTOPO30_WATERSHEDS.png")

"";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739009 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:38:24")

">>60738916
So are they clever Beastmen or what?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739060 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:40:51")

">>60739009
Well, if they were stupid as humans they'll still be stupid as wolves, But their sapient yeah."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739076 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:41:56")

">>60739060
So are humans not sapient?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739105 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:43:46")

">>60739076
i feel sapient. How about you?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739178 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:48:45" && image=="1531039559642.jpg")

">>60739076
Yeah they are."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739204 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:50:41")

"I've been working on creating a world (for DnD mainly) for about a year now. It's the size of the earth with 6 continets and shit.
Got plenty stuff written up but not in a cohesive document of any sorts.

Anyone got any tips on how to write up a document containing the central points and contents, or can point me to a document that does this for another world?

Was considering structuring it as a "campaign/setting guide" but I'd rather have it focused on the world and not any given campaign."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739207 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:50:57")

">>60739105
>tfw not sapient"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739262 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)14:54:47" && image=="1516304986014.png")

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739357 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:00:57")

">>60736535
Interesting. Some ideas that I'm coming up with on the fly:

- A long lost island that was a powerhouse in the earliest days of history but that slowly drifted away from the known world until travel became impossible. Its slow motion, inevitable collapse left lots of ruins behind from colonial outposts (along with maintained sites that are used by whoever is currently in charge). And of course, things can always be mixed up if it suddenly returns; possibly as a militarized nation ready to reclaim its long-lost territory or as a deserted ruin teeming with dungeons to explore and learn what happened to the remaining peoples.

- A hostile island led by a delusional god that thinks it and the natives who worship it are the only true beings and that all travelers (and the gods they worship) are demons risen up out of the formless chaos of the World Sea.

- Ecological hazards could exist for these islands as well; an invasive species or ecosystem might be designed to survive the cataclysm of contact and take root on new soil, displacing the local wildlife.

While I obviously haven't been exhaustive in my examples, it feels like there's enough that you can do with this setting that actually putting all of it in would be overstuffing the concept. And that's a decent enough metric to use to determine if something is a good conceit for a setting."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739423 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:04:28")

">>60736535
I think its a great basis for a setting. Have you thought of a name?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739441 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:05:34")

">>60738178
Golems"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739715 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:21:26")

">>60738178
>bank/death cult

Jews?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739756 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:23:43")

"What could be a valuable resource that is found only in the desert (not!dune spice essentially) that encourages the tough trade routes going in and out of the vast desert? I could use some ideas here.";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739827 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:28:03")

">>60739756
Glass, cactus juice, lizard meat. Luxury pets like desert lions, maybe metal from some ruins."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739834 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:28:30")

">>60739756
Oil, good trade routes, some slaves maybe, some useful fauna or something."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739877 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:30:31")

">>60739756
Salt."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739945 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:33:39")

">>60739756
Burkas"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739952 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:34:14")

">>60739756
An ingredient or material wizards prize in their rituals.

An incredibly valuable ore smiths desire because it strengthens steel beyond natural limits.

The catch is both parties are looking for the same thing and have secret trade wars over it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60739959 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:34:42" && image=="bloodborne_by_edwarddelandreart-d8mxwvp.jpg")

">>60739207
>>60739009
So is good idea yes?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60740048 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:39:51")

">>60739756
Gold, archaeotech, a holy site (just think of the Hajj), djinni."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60740097 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:42:38")

">>60739756
Incense. Frankincense was the driving force of trade across the deserts of Arabia in Antiquity and made Kingdoms like Saba and Nabataea extremely rich. Gold, salt, gems and other mineral wealth are also good bets.

Desert trade is much more often about having to go through the desert to transport goods from one side to the other rather than primarily about extracting resources deep within the desert itself."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60740127 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:44:24" && image=="1524792411462.jpg")

">>60713144

This is actually something I'm trying to figure out.

This setting of mine is just one city--a city-state, really--which is basically a combination of Venice, Istanbul, and Jerusalem. It's got canals, is in control of a strategic strait, and is the focal point of a religion worshiping a dragon deity who is embodied in the local waters. Oh, and the tech level is basically the 1980's, with the city having existed since a period roughly like Greek antiquity.

I have some inkling of a large network of catacombs beneath the city (because of course there has to be), and they may perhaps be of a supernatural nature. Like, they exist in a separate plane from the surface world, or at the boundary between them, where magic is playing havoc with the physical laws. The cosmology of this world has "Heaven" being the core of the planet, where all the souls of sapient beings end up, and which the rest of the world was built around basically as a protective shell.

So, I think I'm leaning toward some sorts of defense mechanisms powered by ghosts or some shit lurking down there, but I'm not sure what form they should take. I'd like them to be disturbing on some level, like they somehow still carry traces of who they were before, or otherwise exude an aura of "I don't want that to happen to me" for the players. As for motivation, I'm also not quite sure. These things might be acting like white blood cells, policing the periphery of the plane and collecting any errant spirits--which would include anything living.

I dunno. Like I said, I'm still trying to puzzle this out. Anyone have any thoughts?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60740296 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:54:02")

">>60739959
I think it's cool, powerful old elder werewolves. How fucked up can they get?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60740341 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:56:10")

"I'm looking for some good introductory books on alchemy. Anyone got recommendations?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60740418 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)15:59:50")

">>60740341
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60740500 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)16:03:11" && image=="1450911323497.jpg")

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60741650 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)16:56:57" && image=="azteca.jpg")

"not sure if I should ask this here, but anyone know any good sources on mesoamerican history? making a not!mesoamerica and other than not!aztec blood mages I need some ideas, and figured actually learning about a region I know basically nothing about is a decent place to start. My players are currently on a boat to the 'new world' and did everything but blatantly state 'we want to be conquistadors' so I got a few weeks to prep something.";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60741803 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:03:09")

">>60741650
Mesoamerican history is pretty readily available online and in various books."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60741883 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:06:09")

">>60741803
based"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60741932 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:08:37")

">>60741883
I mean, it's not the hardest thing in the world to replicate. Just get some ooga-boogas who perform human sacrifice with big pyramid temples and shit. Maybe have some Stygian-based cults who worship a snake god or something."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60741999 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:11:43")

">>60741932
based"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60742188 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:21:38")

">>60741803
>just look it up

really? damn, I hadn't thought of that.

Second question, other than searching 'online' and through 'books' do you know of any well written, succinct sources for someone to learn about the region, as I imagine going through various books and every page on the internet with the word 'aztec, mesoamerica, maya, conquistador, mexico, etc' will take me some time."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60742262 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:24:58")

">>60742188
wikipedia"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60742278 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:25:39")

">>60742188
Go on wikipedia, and scroll through mesoamerica, maya civilization, aztecs, and follow any sources in the bottom if you need primary sources."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60742589 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:38:19")

">>60742188
>>60742262
>>60742278
This. Also just books in general about mesoamerica and the various conquistadors."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60742878 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)17:55:25" && image=="158925567.jpg")

"Came up with an idea I might use for GURPS ((or another system if there is any other suggestions.

Set in an alternative/near-future Earth that became a planet-wide city. An asteroid composed of ice crashes into the earth releasing enough water to flood the planet. Fast forward sub-100 years and humanity is eking out a living on the tops of skyscraper islands, subsisting of the remains of civilization that can be recovered from the sunken floors below.

Some buildings will have been recovered over time with windows reinforced and water pumped out of the building (kind of a bioshock, sea life outside the windows kind of feel). Some buildings will have crews of divers that try to salvage left over supplies and tech, while some groups live a more primitive life in a ramshackle flotillas.
The waters have plentiful sea life to provide sustenance, but the dangers of sea travel are always present, huge tropical storms, sharks, giant squid, structural collapse of buildings, tidal waves, etc.
Technology level would be similar to ours in apocalypse setting. Improvised tools and weapons would be common, modern firearms and weapons would be rare to uncommon, and some futuristic weapons would be very rare.
To add increased danger the asteroid contained a frozen biosphere that reactivated upon thaw and unleashed alien beasts into the seas, in addition maybe a strange species that can enthrall/mutate humans has taken up residence in the very depths adding a kind of lovecraftian cultist vibe.

Thoughts?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60742987 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)18:00:45")

"I want to have a faction be a high elf empire (as in the ruler of many peoples definition). Usually they're waning or just few in number and their nature explained to be not of a conquering sort but I think it would be more fun to have them be at their peak instead. But I need some reasons for why they'd want to rule over others. Would it be a sense of magical superiority? If their magic is so great however what would they need the mortal races for? Would it be a sense of misled compassion? Religious fanaticism? What for?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60743073 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)18:05:01")

">>60742987
They need slaves to sacrifice, they need indoctrinated thralls to serve in their armies and guard regiments, they need interracial bitches to spice up their harems and so on."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60743108 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)18:06:21")

"I want to run a seventh sea campaign, but want more fantasy elements like spellcasting and mages and the like, anyone know a good system that would compliment that since its pretty shit in seventh sea?

Or any tips to homebrew the rules to be more mage-friendly?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60743309 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)18:14:46")

"I can see this, but I still need reasons as to why they are doing it.";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60743320 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)18:15:22")

">>60742878
Drop the planet-wide city detail and go for it."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60743438 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)18:20:53" && image=="popple3new.jpg")

">>60741650
Hey, Boys; My Mesoamerica is better, less human sacrifices and more barbecues on the beach."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60743736 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)18:34:23")

">>60742987
Misguided domineering benevolence, they see themselves as utterly superior to other races and think they need saving from themselves or to be uplifted as they can from the mud of relative primitivism. They can sometimes get a little forceful in their desire to help. Probably have a huge culture-wise messiah complex. Necromongers from Chronicles of Riddick with a little less murder but just as much fanaticism and display of power."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60743971 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)18:46:41")

">>60743736
>High elves are liberal Brits"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60744978 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)19:42:44")

">start working on a setting inspired by some less explored or known culture/history
>someone else has done it already

why don't you just use the thing that someone else has already done the work for?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60745482 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)20:07:28")

">>60743971
>>60743736
This is good."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60745484 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)20:07:29")

">>60744978
Might as well just play a historical campaign, right?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60746926 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)21:38:38")

">>60739827
>luxury pets
maybe
>>60739877
Salt mines in the mountains in teh desert? Maybe, I don't know much about the best way of getting salt.

>An ingredient or material wizards prize in their rituals.
This is good, just gotta come up with something, fuck.
>An incredibly valuable ore smiths desire because it strengthens steel beyond natural limits
Rare minerals could be interesting. Especially since operating a mine out there would bring its own challenges of fauna and flora and water supply.
>>60740048
>Gold
always an option I suppose
>archaeotech
there's going to be ruins out there but I never thought about it as a trade thing. Then again the wares would have to get out of there somehow so why not. A hub oasis town where mercenaries and treasure hunters try to sell their stuff to merchants who sell them for more in far off places perhaps?
>djinni
I was thinking of maybe adding some sha'ir equivalent in my game but I just don't know how to do that for 5e. Can I just handwave that some people know how to trap them or something?
>>60740097
>Incense.
This is interesting, I could play it up a bit maybe by even giving it +1 charisma or similar when used in perfume products. This would be a perpetual cycle of people getting rich by selling this stuff but also people using the perfume to sell more and attract richer customers to display status etc etc.
>Desert trade is much more often about having to go through the desert to transport goods from one side to the other
Yeah, I have a bit of a problem where I simultanously want pirates and corsairs and maritime trade yet I want people to trade through the desert. Maybe I should make the continent really tall so even if the desert is huge it's a lot faster to move through it horizontally than sailing around everything the vertical way or something, I dunno."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60746976 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)21:41:50" && image=="Silk_route.jpg")

">>60746926
>Yeah, I have a bit of a problem where I simultanously want pirates and corsairs and maritime trade yet I want people to trade through the desert"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60747122 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)21:51:37")

">>60746976
So I could have both land and sea routes that mirror each other and yet have it be plausible? Why did they bother with the land route anyway when ships could deliver this stuff? A guy who could deliver it in 1/10th of the time and buy and transport multitudes more at the same time must surely have been able to push the prices down a lot lower so how did the land-guys sell their stuff? Did they just at a lower level or was this shit in such demand that once you got to the end anyone would buy it even for more money? This setting could use some clarification, I give it 4/10 in terms of realism."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60747203 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)21:57:10")

">>60738178
I've always wanted to use a zombie trap on players. Not a pit trap with zombies in it, but a false ceiling that dumps them on top of people (deals damage and then starts an encounter). It might be to irreverent towards the dead for what you are looking for, but it would be fun."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60747272 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)22:02:47")

"So basically in my world the absolute hands down most power "thing" is a non-sentient force with no physical form. Think of the force from Star Wars, kind of, in that it's everywhere at all times, but you can't see it and it acts completely at random. It was responsible for the creation of the gods and the entire universe. So within this world there is a cult dedicated to this nameless force and they believe it will eventually end the world in an instant, like flipping blowing out a candle. They are actively trying to bring about this end by performing rituals, prayers, and using various artifacts and magic to try and activate this world ending event. While not inherently evil, they are highly frowned upon and worship is banned in basically every major town and city.

So knowing all of this, how can I make this cult not some bland boring bullshit?"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60747278 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)22:03:03" && image=="New Map Of Titan.jpg")

"Look up
meteorite site called Wabar in the Empty Quarter, one of the most desolate places on earth
Although not from Wabar. the few iron swords found in Egyptian tombs were probably meteoric iron, nickel-iron is good stuff."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60747293 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)22:04:20")

">>60746926
Salt is so incredibly important that you can make mint by supplying it to people without easy access to the stuff. Salt was one of the main goods travelling south on the West African Trans-Sahara route.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Saharan_trade

No mountains required, as this place shows
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taghaza

Personal perfumes or incense for the home are one use, but the real demand was for religious use. Temples across the Ancient world could not get enough of the stuff, in a fantasy setting the correct rituals and sacrifices accompanied by generous burnings of incense could make the difference between divine intervention and being left to fend off demons with a stick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incense_Route"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60747344 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)22:07:13")

">>60747122
Politics played a huge part in Eurasian trade routes. Often times different kingdoms would have different routes to circumvent their enemies or cut out the middle man. Remember that the Americas were discovered trying to find a direct route to Asia."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60747573 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)22:25:02")

">>60747293
>salt flats
god I'm retarded, it's in the damn name, of course I should use this, it could be just another section of the desert. Or the salt flats themselves are off the main route and it all converges in a trading oasis town where people buy the salt.
>the correct rituals and sacrifices accompanied by generous burnings of incense could make the difference between divine intervention and being left to fend off demons with a stick.
This is great stuff. Also, I can steal the al-qadim/thousand and one nights culturar quirk of sharing salt so to keep your enemies honest when making deals etc. And for storing fish and meat of course. And in warm areas I'm guessing it's more important to eat salt to recover that which you lose by sweating? And probably other uses I don't know of.
>>60747344
Right. I have something similar which touches on that that I should probably expand where I want there to be a barbary coast analog with a strong pirate nest that will be rather unruly and they will frequently disrupt the shipping lanes. The empires would like them gone but taking their fortified port city and risk losing your fleet in a bad engagement could spell disaster so they leave them be and pay extra tribute for safe passage with some ships, that's my made up reason at least."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60748027 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)23:01:07" && image=="desert_city_by_jjpeabody-d95wuhl.jpg")

">>60747293
>>60747344
While I have you trade specialists I also have to ask, would the various trade hubs on the way tax the wares moving through or even demand outright that they must sell their things here and they can't move further down the trade route? Trying to understand how I can add some political complexity to shit. Because if this is how it works, then perhaps I could add lesser known or more dangerous trade routes that circumvent the "tax stations" or allow the goods not to be sold there, but continue further down the trade route where they can be sold for more etc? Of course then I'd have to split up who owns the desert and not have it all be part of this caliphate or whatever, but then again that could take a more religious role and require just some feudal tax tribute but then the local areas can still have their own feuds and so on I dunno. What would be some plausible conflicts in a trade route scenario is what I'm asking basically I think."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60748133 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)23:09:30")

"Anyone here making a game for their world?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60748156 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)23:11:05")

"Wow, didn't expect to get this much interest after I fell asleep. Thanks everyone, you've given me no small amount of confidence in my idea.
>>60738218
Yeah, I was planning on having them move a bit slower so I could have big invasions from one island to another that last a while, but eventually the invading force gets cut off or something like that and has to make do on their new home.
>>60738398
I was thinking that parts could get knocked off and form new islands, and parts could join together. Really depends on the sizes an angles of impact!
And yeah, there would definitely be "deserted" or "haunted" islands floating about.
>>60738851
Yeah, that's what I really wanted to get with the setting, multiple different biomes/climates with lots of different cultures, while not being stagnant.
>>60739357
Hey, thanks! You've given me a few new ideas, I had mostly been thinking about the civilisations taking root on the islands, not how the competing wildlife would change up the place.
>>60739423
Not yet, it's mostly dotpoints here and paragraphs there. I'm pretty terrible at coming up with names."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60748179 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)23:12:46")

">>60748027
It doesn't have to be just taxes, it can be arbitrage too. If the traders in the middle are united, they can buy cheap from suppliers, and raise the price before sending it further down the road, and take their cut.

But if a trader in another trade hub, maybe a 30 mile detour is taking a way lower cut, them some people might be willing to make that trip instead.

So if you're from the main trade hub, you have two options, either lower your prices and undercut everyone, or go send some goons across the desert to kick another merchant's teeth in."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60748410 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)23:28:26")

">>60748133
Yes."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60748672 && dateTime=="07/08/18(Sun)23:45:59")

">>60740341
'Summa perfectionis magisterii' should do for the late medieval period"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60748891 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)00:04:11")

">>60748179
>arbitrage
so that's the word for it. Would this strictly be enforced by the traders there or could the local government set the prices there and beneft from it somehow?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60749094 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)00:20:43" && image=="Alphonse_Modern.png")

">>60725438
Valeria is basically Prussia if it remained at its height and had magic."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60749804 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)01:12:31")

"What are some good ways to differentiate between magic and technology, and eventually the difference between magitek and just really advanced technology?

I haven't really gotten into the magic/tech systems of my setting, but I had the general idea that magic is better at flexibility and widespread application (like digging out a few miles of trenches with the wave of a hand) and tech is better for precision and efficiency (guns), but nothing else. Just general ideas would be appreciated, nothing specific."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60749897 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)01:18:24")

"how important do you guys think it is to know history when building cultures and societies? if you were making a not!country/culture how important do you think it is to learn the actual facts about them, rather than base your inspiration off of the romanticized/fantasy version you have in your head?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60750157 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)01:34:44")

">>60749804
Magic is purely supernatural and outside.
Technology is purely mundane and at best preternatural.

Magic is a way of getting around things which are beyond the scope of natural limits, it is inhuman.
Technology is an extension of man, an artificial adaptation of some thing or principle or concept that is within natural limits.

Magic is capricious and the purview of strange forces.
Technology is logical and at the whims of man's touch.

Magic is hidden, secret, mistrustful even to a wizened sage. Anything can go wrong and you'll never know why.
Technology is immediate, commonplace, and you can trust a machine to do what it was built for. Anything that goes wrong always has a reason.

Magic will always be infinitely more powerful, at an infinitely greater price.
Technology can only do so much, but you always know the price.

Both are avenues through which men seek to control the world around them, they just come at it from different angles, and perhaps different intentions. If man uses magic to make his machines work...are they truly machines as we know them anymore?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60750202 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)01:38:11")

">>60749897
I think it depends on your intention with your setting and I think a baseline knowledge of certain things always can inform what you do, but I don't believe you need to be a major world history buff to design the fantastic. Imagination trumps verisimilitude in my book, you can minutely craft to the tightest detail the impact of tectonic shift on climate, but if your setting lacks creative flair in favour of excessive 'realistic' detail, not a lot of people will care."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60750996 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)02:50:01")

"My setting takes place on an endless plane, how should I go about dealing with astronomical features like the stars, moon, sun, etc?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751033 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)02:53:43" && image=="Capture.png")

"Bringing this part of my lore over from another thread
Goblins, They have the strongest connection to magic out of any species in the realms. They were the first beings to crawl out of the mud and form a civilization. They laid the foundation for each of the other races to come into being, either accidental or purposefully.
They brought great works of architecture and magical treasures that no race will be able to replicate for at least a thousand years. It is said some even reached the far realm, riding great comets of steel.
However their aptitude and the thirst for more advancement lead to their downfall, they gathered over a hundred thousand "lesser creatures" and sacrificed them in a massive ritual in the hopes of transcending the mortal plane and elevating the race to a singular god like entity. This blasphemy could not go unpunished and while the name of the god will never be known a particularly powerful on laid the strongest of curses unto the goblins and their kin.
The great goblin god was stillborn and the race was cast into beast hood for all time. No goblin will ever progress past the mental state of a eight year old. That was an untold amount of time ago, the races have forgotten such a time, and the great goblin cities have crumpled to ruins."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751120 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:04:30")

">>60750996
magic"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751184 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:11:16")

">>60751120
Yeah that's the plan, but even with magic I'm stuggling to figure out how day/night would work."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751198 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:13:00")

">>60750996
The same as in our world because gods did it that way lol"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751258 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:19:29")

">>60751184
it doesn't have to make complete sense anon, an infinite plane is going to be a big problem with a lot of things no matter what you do

the sun can still go down sometimes and come up sometimes, maybe it's pulled by gods, maybe the visible sky is a portal to another dimension that the celestial bodies rotate around, i dunno

make something up, it's what everyone does

if you're serious about worldbuilding, an infinite plane is fun on paper but not in practice, just trust me"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751291 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:23:36")

">>60751258
I'm the anon earlier who's starting a setting based on islands moving around an endless ocean and interactions occurring based off of those movements.
I'll try getting abstract and think of ways to fix that, and maybe try thinking of a different way things could work out besides it just being endless. Maybe go for the good old end of the world style flat plane that has defined edges.
Thanks for the advice."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751303 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:24:48")

">>60751184
It takes the Sun God one day and one night to traverse the sky above the infinite plane and return back in his sky boat. The distance doesn't matter."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751316 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:26:12")

">>60751291
an infinite plane is just very hard to work with and too much trouble in my opinion, a lot of people try out the idea and drop it pretty soon after in my experience"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751473 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:42:50")

">>60751303
Will probably go something like that, or maybe a big lighthouse to fit with the nautical theme.
>>60751316
Yeah, I get that. I suppose I'll just see where it takes me and if it ends up being something that raises too many issues I'll just shunt all my ideas into a different type of world."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751503 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)03:47:09")

">>60751473
Did you end up with a name?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751722 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)04:10:43")

">>60751503
Thinking something with Archipelago in the name, nothing concrete though."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751782 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)04:19:22")

">>60740296
About this fucked up. Thinking of having that be as a consequence of something else though, making it rarer.
>>60748156
What about , Drift, cause the islands, drift about."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751786 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)04:20:26" && image=="medium.jpg")

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751848 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)04:29:05")

"Anybody have some thoughts on a setting I've been thinking of for a series of short stories or novels?

It would be centered around the time humanity first achieved light speed travel and have spread among the solar system, but still have no way to quickly reach another star. A mixture of governments and dynasties have divided the solar system but come together to figure out how to achieve faster-than-light travel.

After creating a series of smaller crafts using a device that allows a ship to use stored power to jump forward in space, they invest a decade of time designing and building the ship and installing a scaled up version of the jump drive.

The ship is massive, carrying a mixture of crew, passengers, and VIP's totaling near 20,000 people with large holds, communal areas, and auditorium. In a Titanic-like frenzy people clamor to get a spot on the ship, including a lottery for people who partake in its construction.

On the day of the launch, everything goes smoothly. The drive powers up normally, the jump goes with no mechanical trouble, but when they go to verify their new location they find that none of the star charts match.

The issue with a jump drive this big is the amount of energy it needs. Relying mostly on an array of solar panels to power the drive, their new position puts them in a location of space that is farther away from any source of sunlight that even with the onboard generator running at full capacity it would take years for another jump. Despite an attempt to simply turn around and jump back to the solar system, nobody is sure if they'll be able to get back.

What follows is how a society of people cut off from their home civilization progresses. When their past lives are still fresh in their minds it's easy to uphold traditional lifestyles and retain the knowledge, but as time goes on some things are forgotten or things break that the only person who knew how to fix it was a loner who died suddenly of food poisoning."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60751991 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)04:47:31")

"In my setting elves are immortal as long as they stay on their plane/parallel dimension, excluding overpopulation and the need for new resources, why would they invade the human world?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60752225 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)05:18:58" && image=="indominus-620x349.jpg")

"How would the modern world handle a species of smart (human level) T-Rex sized dinosaurs? Not real dinos, just hybrids of all the dna some Not!Umbrella corp could get their hands on.

>>60751848
That sounds alright anon, is it hard or soft sci-fi? are their aliens? Are they in dead space or just too far from the systems sun? I imagine a lot of paranoia and conflict would break out between everyone aboard from the horror of their situation.

>>60751991
Well if they're dealing with Overpopulation or resource issues why not have them raid the mundane plane to kill off some elves. or perhaps humans have something they need to sustain their plane and cut off the need to invade."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60752355 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)05:34:10")

">>60751848
It would be soft sci-fi since it would need to rely on 'magic' for the jump drive and FTL travel (and other conveniences/capabilities that spawn from that) but it would be very ground in the real world. I imagine the technology levels as a the same as we had during the moon landing except with slightly more miniaturization. Standard instant communication via video or audio throughout the ship but no handheld cell-phone like devices.
>Are they in dead space or just too far from the systems sun?
I figure the first jump would put them in dead space where stars are still visible but not nearly as numerous as they had seen before and none that they recognize. The 5 or so years it would take to make the other jump I feel would present a good build-up of hope for people who think they'd be able to turn around and jump back in to their home system. It would provide a timeline where the resource production capabilities are stretch to breaking.
The next jump would take them closer to another system but not their home one. This is when the weight of what has happened would hit people and you would see the paranoia and conflict break out. At this point a few schools of thought will come up that differ on what they feel the new mission of the ship will be. Some see getting home as the only objective and begin devoting their lives to calculating their return and uncovering the initial error of the drive. Even though they are now closer to a new system and have light speed travel the nearest planet is still a years travel each way and the main ship itself does not have LST.
The role I imagine the main character taking is one of a pilot who flies a smaller ship that is capable of LST travel. A ship and crew of this nature is dispatched to every available orbital body in the system with their mission to spend as much time possible on those locations finding the most valuable materials and gathering any scientific information."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60752402 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)05:41:35")

">>60752355
>The role I imagine the main character taking is one of a pilot who flies a smaller ship that is capable of LST travel. A ship and crew of this nature is dispatched to every available orbital body in the system with their mission to spend as much time possible on those locations finding the most valuable materials and gathering any scientific information.

Thats a good hook."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60752424 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)05:43:43")

">>60752225
>>60752355
Ultimately I'm imagining the politics/society breaking down in to a middle-ages style feudalism with various craftsmen using the materials brought in from various planets. Large holds of the ship turn in to make-shift bazaars or slums as the population of the ship increases over the years. Entire portions of the ship become dedicated to sustainable farming using imported dirt, rights break out as a feud between rival families boils over after hundreds of years, and the Jumps themselves become a religious event surrounded with much celebration despite the constant fear of them being flung to the far reaches of space where the sky is nothing but a sheet of black. At that point all it would take is someone to forget how to fix the generator to doom the entirety of the ship.
And another factor is, nobody can be sure what effect the initial error in the jump drive had on time. Were they teleported instantly? Were they sent in to the future? Or maybe the past?
>>60752402
Thanks, initially I figured I would self insert some loner space-cowboy type character who would spend years in isolation and crave that isolation any time he's on the ship, but I figure that may be too dry to tell that story with nothing but descriptor text and no real dialogue for parts, and the crew allows me to have that variety of characters with their own background on the ship"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60752940 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)06:52:06")

">>60728790
It's one of those states which a small subset of retards get huge erections over despite their small understanding of it.

See also: Rome, Byzantium, the Mongols, and the Nazis."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753336 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)07:47:40")

">>60752225
Draft them into the army and hand them a really big gun."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60753366 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)07:53:59")

">>60753336
Could we build armor for something that big? Tacticool-Tyranos sound cool."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753413 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)07:59:07")

">>60753366
not as much as it would need, everyone would be shooting it first.
WWII .50 cal machine gunners had a 15 second life expectancy in a battle."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60753430 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:00:48")

">>60753413
Then theres no need for it to be in the army beyon maybe search and rescue and logistics.(moving heavy shit)"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753582 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:19:07" && image=="world_map_by_tyshea-d8q6x5n.jpg")

"There is a good chance that 20 human soldiers would work out cheaper, more versatile, and more effective in the long run. Sigh.
So much for my 10 ton paratrooper with a chain gun."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753698 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:31:24" && image=="00-160307-Game-of-Thrones-Map-Australia.jpg")

">>60753430
Great for niche special ops maybe. It would scare the crap of the enemy,
Humans over abut 6'8" are too big for most armies.
Eats 1 to 2% of body weight per day, 500lb MRE's.
Palace guards for petty tyrants, That would make more sense."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753746 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:36:43" && image=="149923.jpg")

"The idea seems popular.";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753759 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:37:47" && image=="1735149-hardgrave_web.jpg")

"";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753829 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:44:06" && image=="ku-xlarge.jpg")

"";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753869 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:46:54" && image=="reich01.jpg")

"";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753906 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:50:02" && image=="Dinosaur_Concept_Art_01_Brynn_Metheney.jpg")

"";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60753980 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:57:33" && image=="operaposter0011-e1403827567484.jpg")

"Maybe they just get on Broadway.";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60753992 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)08:58:30")

">>60740097

Didn't people think good smells kept away illness? I don't know if incense was popular just for its smell. Frankincense does smell great tho"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60754232 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)09:20:33")

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60754575 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)09:53:40")

">>60754232
is a meme"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60754580 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)09:53:59")

">>60754575
you dip"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60754604 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)09:56:18")

">>60754575
yes, and?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60755034 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)10:30:57")

">>60750996
Exalted has something like that. Basically the presence of the sun and moon in the sky is based on who is winning at the Games of Divinity at the present time. Which I guess is usually a regular cycle or something."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60755096 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)10:35:03")

">>60753698
What about culture wise? I highly doubt anyones going to be comfortable with Genetisaurus Rex hatchlings going to school with their kids. And yeah they might find a niche in spec ops, maybe as mounts or as 'analog' drones to sniff targets or explosives out."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60755679 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)11:20:44" && image=="1529527761857.jpg")

">>60752225
>>60754232
Someone asked a question that didn't involve sweaty harem slave cultures, so I answered them."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60755767 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)11:26:13")

">>60748891
It could be enforced by the government, for instance the government lays a tax on imports or exports, then the arbitragers (?) add their own bit on top of that, or the whole thing can happened naturally.

Basically, a group of traders will "naturally" come to realize that if they start undercutting eachother, they're just going to "race to the bottom" and nobody is going to make any money, so they each individually choose to keep their prices high to keep the system running.

If the government wants a cut, then the traders are more required by profit to up the prices, or else they'd just be losing money on every exchange. It's really up to you to determine who you want to be 'at fault""
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60755786 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)11:27:43" && image=="ishiyama-hongan-ji-o8.jpg")

">>60755096
They would be expensive to create. Their creators would need a reason to do this.
Answer that before the first one is created."
;

if(Warbirdfag && title=="" && postNumber==60755864 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)11:32:20" && image=="112567889075445.jpg")

">>60713144
You guys might be able to help me out with a world-building question. At approximately what level of military technology would a culture "max out," at if smokeless powder didn't work because [reasons]? How advanced and efficient have we gotten black powder? Where would military technology and theory stagnate or advance to if smokeless powder wouldn't function?

I've asked around in a couple of threads already but this seems the most logical place to visit; I hadn't been able to find it making my initial rounds."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60756126 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)11:49:03")

">>60755786
Good point"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60757429 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)13:15:13" && image=="medium_KryptonNewWorldHemi-689x1024.jpg")

">>60755864
Obscuring smoke and fouling the barrels with gunk are major limitations of blackpowder.
20th century munitions could sort of stay on track to start with. Gatling style guns with multiple barrels would foul slower, but full automatics will gunk up rapidly. Repeating rifles and semi automatic weapons tech could advance with some limitations."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60758255 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)14:02:16")

"Say, how plausible is it that a civilisation living in a mediterranean-style climate would use palm leaves for writing?";

if(Warbirdfag && title=="" && postNumber==60759179 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)14:55:35")

">>60758255
You'd need a way to treat them to prevent them from shriveling and getting incredibly brittle as they dry. Palm leaves only stay rich and strong if they're alive; they stay strong-ish if you weave them together before they dry, but you can't really write on a rope. Or can you?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60759298 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)15:01:35")

">>60759179
Palm leaves were used for writing in Asia all the way up until colonisation."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60759387 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)15:06:07" && image=="sad spurdo.png")

">tfw I have 50 plus page document detailing the lore of my oc donut steel biopunk world, that I don't seem to be able to finish.

Why don't I have the energy to work on this world and draw stuff about it anymore?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60759625 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)15:19:31")

">>60759387
Worldbuilding thrives on pure flows of inspo and directed artistic energy. Unless you're getting paid to do this, why force it?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60759699 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)15:23:34")

">>60759625
Because I want to finish it and not leave it as yet another failed creation I never got around finishing.
And because I genuinely like the world I have built, and wish that someday, somehow, I might be able to do something with it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60759774 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)15:27:41")

">>60759699

Then set goals and deadlines and actually achieve them. Get a productivity app if you need it. Or a trello."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60760597 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)16:09:24")

">>60759387
> have a bunch of cool ideas floating around in my head from days of brainstorming
> can't seem to get them down on paper when I sit to hash them out
eternal pain"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60762709 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)17:47:39" && image=="OC do not steal.png")

"What do you guys think of this initial layout for my world map?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60762767 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)17:50:10")

">>60762709
epic"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60762852 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)17:54:09")

">>60762709
It could work if you play it right. What kind of races and countries and shit are innit?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60763148 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)18:10:11")

">>60762709
2/10 would not explore"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60763298 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)18:19:30" && image=="sadasd.png")

">>60762709
The horror"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60763392 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)18:24:23" && image=="smug.jpg")

">>60762709
>not unironically doing this and making subtle changes to see if anyone notices
nobody does notice because we don't actually run campaigns, we only ever make maps that nobody outside of this thread sees"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60763607 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)18:34:25")

">>60758255
>How plausible is it that a civilisation ... would use palm leaves for writing?
Very plausible. Look at the Tamil, for example. It might mean that the script they write in has few points and more straight parts and curves, but it's very plausible.

>How plausible is it that a civilisation living in a Mediterranean-style climate would use palm leaves for writing?
...Possibly? It seems like there are Mediterranean palm trees, but I can't say I'm an expert on anything Mediterranean climate. You could always say they're a hardier variety or something, though, if they can't."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60764208 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:04:18")

">>60758255
Like papyrus? But palm leaves instead of reeds?

Reasonable if you have the right type of plant."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60764325 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:12:25" && image=="Javanese.png")

">>60763607
>It might mean that the script they write in has few points and more straight parts and curves, but it's very plausible.

This is pretty much the entire reason why I'm thinking of making them use palm leaves in the first place. The civilisation in question is the High Elves, whose language I've posted bits off previously.

Pic related is the main source of inspiration. I really long and very uniform letters with crazy-ass and elaborate diacritics."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60764341 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:13:41" && image=="High Elf Cursive.png")

">>60764325
And a couple sketches of the script I'm making, with my shitty handwriting, in paint, on a mousepad."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60764374 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:15:42")

"This is somewhat unrelated, but does anyone have that line art drawing of a lizardfolk treating a human adventurer like an oddity?";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60764403 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:17:40" && image=="ya_boi_Gorn+Kirk.jpg")

">>60764374
I have live action, is that okay?"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60764445 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:21:21" && image=="Ram.png")

">>60762709
I keep telling people not to draw doggies and dragons, but no one ever listens to me."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60764662 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:34:01")

">>60764445
I suppose we only have tectonics to blame for that one mapdude"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60764711 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:37:18" && image=="0287_dba6.jpg")

">>60764662
I figured Slartibartfast was thinking about Irish and sheep when he was doing it."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60764755 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:39:38")

">>60764711
Would a man who won an award for worldbuilding draw a ram?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60765038 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)19:54:58")

">>60752940
>Byzantium
This strikes me as the super snowflake empire. People can never seem to explain what is so amazing about them other than that horse races."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60765709 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)20:35:59" && image=="Master-Plan.jpg")

">>60764755
Maybe, I really want to see a map of his Earth II when he put the fjords along the coasts of Africa.

Slartibartfas should be the Patron Saint of Worldbuilders.

Pic is a very modern 25 acre office shopping residential complex that is kind of cool... If you like that sort of thing."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60765737 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)20:37:16")

">>60763298
>ireland
>a whole country
T-Tíochfaidh are lá..."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60765873 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)20:44:37")

">>60765038
The art and clothing is magnificent.

>>60765709
Pic of complex"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60765898 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)20:45:41" && image=="Overview.jpg")

">>60765709
Pic"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60766863 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)21:39:21")

">>60765898
>>60765709

All that fancy high tech architecture and no multi level onramp or offramp to the highways, shame."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60766971 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)21:45:35" && image=="e2e706e67.png")

">>60766863
It has drop off roads, it might not let cars inside, maybe some of it is car parks."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60767081 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)21:51:48" && image=="Cover-Granada-2000.jpg")

">>60766971
I think the plan is they force you to walk an entire block to get to your work from home and the store is on the way."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60767164 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)21:56:47" && image=="cluster.jpg")

">>60767081
It is kind of like a Shadowrun Megacorp compound, or Google Main campus, if there is a difference."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60767228 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)22:01:28" && image=="RGIAzYV.jpg")

">>60765737

My nigga..."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60767233 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)22:02:08" && image=="ldtclfp5tyi01.jpg")

"@mapdude";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60767397 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)22:12:01" && image=="image.jpg")

">>60767228
Kentucky Fried World!

>>60767233
I didn't Think I had a magical realm.

I'm mad, I looked at that planet once or twice before and I never saw a kitty.

Awesome."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60767481 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)22:17:12" && image=="1317188322.50401035.jpg")

">>60762709
You must be pretty famous having people around the world shit all over your map"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60767641 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)22:26:02")

">>60767481
I'd be surprised, but I've seen things about as degenerate come from this site"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60767829 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)22:36:28" && image=="Geography_Bewitched_-_England.jpg")

">>60767481
Its a drunken giant on a Leviathan. Some day it will awaken."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768285 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:09:31" && image=="old-english-literature-13-638.jpg")

"This is a rather nice setting for low magic games.";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768297 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:10:33" && image=="site_161380-2388.jpg")

"";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768319 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:11:35" && image=="edc28825d588888510514d89e88a105f.jpg")

"";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768344 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:13:03" && image=="old-map-of-exeter-england-by-john-speed-1611-DHY1H0.jpg")

"";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768358 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:14:13" && image=="ksw_tube.jpg")

"England Prevails!";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768371 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:15:15" && image=="360px-Geology_Map_UK.svg.png")

"";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60768376 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:15:50" && image=="Jolly Good.jpg")

"This is now an England thread";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768386 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:16:43" && image=="3be083cf81789012a99bc8aaed8a962e.jpg")

"";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60768405 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:18:03")

"PROTESTANTS OUT REEEEEE";

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768406 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:18:05" && image=="003-Antique-Map-of-Kent-q75-1767x1501.jpg")

">>60768376
my favorite is the underwater croquet."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768446 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:21:13" && image=="30147.jpg")

">>60768405
That is the best part, priest holes (Look it up, pervs), secret chambers, subterfuge."
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60768561 && dateTime=="07/09/18(Mon)23:29:46" && image=="00084069.jpg")

">>60768376
A series of postcards

https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/france-in-the-year-2000-1899-1910/"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60769990 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)01:25:58" && image=="tlon__uqbar__orbis_tertius_by_blu_remi-d658pjr.jpg")

"Only tangiably related, perhaps, but I do think this is a question suited for /wbg/ to answer and/or ponder. Be warned though that this post will contain spoilers about pic related. So if you haven't read it yet and you want to, that's your warning.

I recently read Borges's Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius and I can't wrap my head around the world building in it. So in the book, and the narrator finds references to the land of Uqbar in an obscure edition of an American reprinting of the Encyclopedia Britannica that mentions that the only thing the people of Uqbar wrote was fiction about two mythical lands, one of which was Tlön. Later, by chance, he happens upon an encyclopedia detailing the mythical land of Tlön, and it goes into great detail on the people's customs, culture, philosophy, and linguistics. Later it turns out that both Uqbar and Tlön are completely fictious, having been created by a secret society to influence the world through the power of suggestion. The narrator also notes that such detailed accounts could only have been made up if some of the greatest minds came together to build it according to a unified vision. But! The narrator already knew that Tlön was fictional, because it was fictional in the stories of the people of Uqbar so really it shouldn't have been a surprise that it was all bollocks. For the same reason, I really don't understand why the philosophy of the people of Tlön became such a huge deal in the real world after the story of it became widely known. Even if people didn't know about the secret society it was still just the fantasies of some people long ago. It having such a huge impact on society seems, to me, about as likely as people suddenly deciding to become more like the Greek gods or model society on the one described in the Norse Eddas.

tl;dr: I can't make sense of Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius and I'm not sure if its because Borges's wrote a story that actually doesn't make sense or if I'm an idiot."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60771981 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)04:55:18")

">>60713183
>Sauron ball thing
A fucking palantir you mean? What the fuck has happened to /tg/ that people aren't familiar with basic lotr lore."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772016 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)04:59:46")

">>60771981
Idk, he seems to remember what it is, just not the name."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772157 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:22:29")

">>60772016
"Sauron ball thing" counts as remembering what it is now?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772168 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:23:59")

">>60772157
Yep."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772181 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:25:16")

">>60749094
>Valkyria Chronicles
Honestly not bad."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772211 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:27:53")

">>60749804
I usually don't mark a difference. Magic and Technology are interchangeable, the differences arbitrary and dependent on what story or theme you want."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772216 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:28:54")

">>60755679
Nice map. Very nice."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772249 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:33:05")

">>60772157
>>60772168
Now I'm kind of curious to see how much shittier lotr sounds when you replace all of Tolkien's original writing and terminology with half assed descriptions like above."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772304 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:39:32" && image=="base map two page decoration.jpg")

"Gonna contribute one of my settings so the thread has one more map before it DIES.

Castian is a bio/psy-punk themed world, in the vein of Dark Sun or Pirates of Dark Water. Magic is Psionics, insects and dinosaurs serve as food, crafting materials, mounts, biomech-suits, and in the case of the Alucids (insectoid-vampire), apex predators. You can play Humans. But you could also play sapient psionic crystals piloting human meat bodies, sea-bird based velociraptors who only understand shiny things, sapient ooze golems, or even gypsy sharkfolk. And most of the adventures will revolve around being sailors/pirates.

I might come back next thread and share more if people are interested."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772356 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:45:50")

">>60772304
I like the layout, what's the Biopunk aspect?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772417 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)05:54:31" && image=="aeolans sketch.jpg")

">>60772356
A lot of the tech in-setting is based on using odd or alien creatures as technology. Like some "magic items" I hand out are alien-sealife that has adapted to latching onto humans, feeding on their blood, but in return giving their hosts cool powers and abilities. Like a suit of living armor (think a giant lobster-beetle), or an eel that becomes an arm-guard that shoots needles, or a small beehive that replaces your eye and grants you command over a small swarm of killer insects.

Plus, some common fantasy enemies have been made more...biological. Vampires are referred to as Alucids (combo of Alucard and Culicidae), and they are a vicious hive insect that literally infests you, and slowly converts your body and mind into larger and more powerful insect-forms. Some have the ability to retake human form, but only so they can aid the Hive in sucking dry another village or town.

Still haven't found a satisfying way to "Bio" Dragons, but I'll get there.

Pic is sketch I made of the velociraptor seabird race. So far my players like them."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772728 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)06:43:48")

">>60772249
In a hole in the ground there lived a manlet. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a manlet-hole, and that means comfort."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60772790 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)06:53:33")

">>60717631

this is a really nice map"
;

if(MapDude && title=="" && postNumber==60773180 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)07:43:13" && image=="8354000.jpg")

">>60772216
Thanks, saved from earlier thread,
I believe the artist posted it.
>>60772790
Kingdoms of Kalamar has some of the finest maps in the industry."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60774048 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)09:09:16" && image=="the_death_of_ymir_by_hellanim-d2yldev.jpg")

"I'm trying to come up with an internally consistent system for magic. I just wanted some feedback. Let me know if there's anything I haven't considered.

In this setting, the world is the reshaped body, mind and soul of a deceased god. His body was reshaped into the material fabric of the universe while his mind became the anima mundi. His soul was shattered into fragments which in time assumed physical form and became mortals. The anima mundi is raw psychic energy with no will of its own. A mortal can control the fabric of reality (the body of the cosmos) by using their soul to influence the anima mundi (the mind of the cosmos). That's how sorcery and other intuition based magic functions. Different types of magic function in different ways, however. For example, magical runes or spoken magical spells are commands directed toward the anima mundi using the language of the gods. Although the practitioner may not understand this language, the anima mundi is capable of interpreting these commands. It then produces an effect consistent with the runic inscription or magic spell. Before its death, the deceased god had an understanding of all the languages of the gods, therefore it is possible to use demonic, angelic or fey runes and spells to produce magical effects."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60774970 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)10:37:57")

"Ok so, wait... a catfolk civilization that has the more noble, and royal lineages be based off tigers, lions, jaguars, etc. While the commoners are simple breeds of cat, with the mixed domestic house cat being the absolute lowest of the low.";

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60776986 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)13:11:13")

">>60774970
This is sort of how the Khajit function in the Elder Scrolls. Though I believe there that what determines what kind of cat you'll be is the positions of the moons at your birth"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60777009 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)13:12:33" && image=="aqua knight.jpg")

">>60736535
Sounds similar to Aqua Knight"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60777022 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)13:13:18")

">>60774970
I like it.

>>60776986
Yeah, that's how it works."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60777306 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)13:32:00")

">>60774048
Seems ok. Got anything else for us?"
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60777326 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)13:33:53")

">>60774970
The 2011 Thundercats series was this, basically. Wilykit and Wilykat were considered commoners because they were more like house cats and they had tails, whereas none of the other, nobler cats had them."
;

if(Anonymous && title=="" && postNumber==60777423 && dateTime=="07/10/18(Tue)13:40:08")

"Threads ready to cap soon, so... New Thread: >>60777397";

}
}