public void goToBottom();

}
class Thread extends Board {
public void /lang/ Episode One - The Series Has Landed(OP Anonymous) {

String fullTitle = '/lang/ Episode One - The Series Has Landed';
int postNumber = 2244810;
String image = '1652934912453.png';
String date = '05/19/22(Thu)00:35:12';
String comment = '>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
https://4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages:
https://mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Lots of books on linguistics of various kinds, as well as language courses:
https://mega.nz/#F!Ad8DkLoI!jj_mdUDX_ay-8D9l3-DbnQ

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
https://pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed)

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200316222401/https://yuki.la/t/796928

List of trackers for most language learning packs:
https://files.catbox.moe/nmrn8x.txt

Ukrainianon's list of commercial courses from rutracker.org:
https://pastebin.com/3EWMhSPN (embed)

Russianon's list of comprehensible input resources:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wXd0V32TjCFsr1-F_en_lA4MI-i7JtyYf26cWLtPRec

Pastebin that archives challenges:
https://pastebin.com/u/jopiepoliste/1/dMvKSQMw?sort=-name

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
French
>What language should I learn?
Nafri Creole'
;

}
public void comments() {
if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2244814 && dateTime=='05/19/22(Thu)00:38:54'  && image=='Spanish Bibles, read them for 90% most common words.png') {

'Challenges for Correction.

French >>2207102
Latin >>2209009
Indonesian >>2211622
Czech >>2218444
(Classical?) Chinese >>2222650
Spanish >>2223522 >>2238593
Latinised Indian(?) >>2209604
German >>2241569

'Pilot' Thread: >>2206579'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2244817 && dateTime=='05/19/22(Thu)00:46:22'  && image=='leaderboards.png') {

'Where's the Brazilianon?
It appears he's been replaced by Gilgamesh and Enkidu who are tying at 3rd place.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245007 && dateTime=='05/19/22(Thu)09:59:43') {

'>nafri creole
I guess you could call that an arab creole, yeah

Currently learning Mandarin, about to have my first class on preply (which will mainly be a discussion about how the classes will work out). Anything you guys think i should bring up?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245008 && dateTime=='05/19/22(Thu)10:02:56') {

'>>2245007
How they will teach you the Chinese characters (after hopefully drilling you with pinyin pronunciation).
Why?
Because you don't want your class time to be wasted with things you can learn more efficiently on your own.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245013 && dateTime=='05/19/22(Thu)10:11:56') {

'>>2245008
I don't have much issues with pinyin pronunciation, as i've already straightened out that aspect in Taiwan (stayed there for like 3 years). Now I know their praise isn't particularly meaningful, but a few bilingual non-chinese people did say that my tones were actually pretty good.

Which makes your question even more important I guess. I definitely will bring that up. The classes I had in taiwan was basically them shoving characters up our asses both in class and homework, which is pretty fucking frustrating considering that oral progression feels far more rewarding.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245017 && dateTime=='05/19/22(Thu)10:19:45') {

'I've been learning Czech recently and Duolingo is fine and all but I want some basic reading that I can try translating. Anyone have access to free Czech children's books or something? Or songs with relatively easy lyrics?';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245021 && dateTime=='05/19/22(Thu)10:23:37') {

'>>2245013
>The classes I had in taiwan was basically them shoving characters up our asses in class
That's definitely something you want to avoid.
A short introduction into the characters, their origins, the radicals and how to write them should be the extent of hanzi instruction, the rest should be done on your own using the method that suits you the most. For me that's a combination of reading, creating Anki cards from words encountered and pre-made Anki decks, but there are many other valid ways as well.
>and homework
That's not too bad if it's not "write this character for 12 times" but instead a handwritten exercise of things you learned in class like grammar, vocabulary or expressions.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245075 && dateTime=='05/19/22(Thu)13:19:03') {

'>>2245008
Honestly I'm kinda fine with that. I generally don't study by myself. Too many distractions.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245300 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)00:10:35') {

'>>2245017
Check out olly richards short stories'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245303 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)00:16:46') {

'>>2245075
>generally don't study by myself.

Not gonna make it bra'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245391 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)04:43:26') {

'>>2245075
>I generally don't study by myself
Are you for real?
I loose myself in conversation if I'm not alone!'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245427 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)06:00:42'  && image=='Anki.png') {

'Hope youse're not using Anki.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245544 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)10:41:02') {

'>>2245427
I don't have anki, but RL flashcards from the "for dummies" thing, for learning chinese (HSK1 and 2). It's way better than having that shit on computer, you can arrange them in any way you want, check what characters you recognize and order them in such a way without spending hours on the computer figuring this shit out.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245565 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)11:14:53') {

'>>2245008
>>2245013
So it's me again, and I had said first hour. I have been learning chinese in High school (which got me to HSK2 basically), went to taiwan (where it was mostly oral, my work was mostly technical and in english), and i'm currently on the road to HSK3 but will probably be smurfing it. Here's a few pointers on how to set up a good environment for e-learning with a teacher online

>Preply is convenient and cheap. I'm taking 10 bucks, cheaper isn't necessarily worse, and anything above 20 bucks is basically SFW camwhores

>Before taking your first hour, consider what your objectives are. Are you trying to better yourself in a language, are you trying to pass an exam ? Do you just want to improve your convo skills You have to know all of that before contacting the teacher and then ask them. I usually spend an hour figuring that out, but you could also just DM them. Having a standardized assessment dictate your objectives kind of helps to make sure your professor isn't doing anything too wacky. This is a very important step, as you need to set the base rythm for your classes, evaluate how much homework you can do in a week, etc. If you let the teacher set that on you by default, he'll either do too less or too much and you'll end up demotivated.

>You need to know what material you may need. It could be something you would need to order, but every teacher i know basically gives out the material after class and you can just print it if need be. Have everything on the ready BEFORE your first real class, or you're just wasting money

>Take classes in packages of two hours, one is too short and three is just boring. For every hour of class you need to work around two alone, depending on your motivation and overall level.

>to make the most bang for your buck, do supplement your classes with some additional learning sources such as duolingo, flashcard shit, etc.

>If you're a coomer, try to learn self control by choosing a woman and acting professionally'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245757 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)18:29:01') {

'>>2245427
I believe we spoke briefly within the previous thread last month. While difficult for me to accept (stubborn as I am), it may be in my personal best interest to drastically reduce, or perhaps outright cease use of Anki and related SRS. I brought up the topic of SRS review optimization to anons in that thread because it's been a topic of interest to me for a long time, especially seeing how so many famed learners allegedly benefited from it. I liked reading the responses to my ideas, and appreciate the anons who participated in the topic I proposed. I'd considered re-reading those posts and forming responses sooner, but I thought it more appropriate to spend the time to digest everyone's feedback, testing and observing the impact and results before I did so.

While I found it useful for some specific isolated use cases before, I have continued to find that my performance and flow in utilizing it large-scale has been, for the great deal of time invested overall, painfully inadequate. I've often found that many people will say things like "it's really useful but not necessary". This very idea has been particularly troublesome for me to digest, because I'd keep trying everything to make this system work for me. However, my poor performance no matter the parameters adjusted, and the immense anxiety and stress surrounding SRS as a whole, just soured the whole experience. I'd stop even involving myself in TL media and culture because it felt like if I didn't turn everything into learning material for Anki and be able to complete the reviews with strong retention rates, it was a complete waste of my time. "If [xxx] can do it, I can do it too!", and so I'd continue on embracing the struggle that paid no dividends.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245758 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)18:30:29') {

'>>2245427
>>2245757
Ironically, even simple stuff I'd blank over in Anki might flow like water in the real world. I spent some days recently doing no reviews or hard consumption of media, just watching some videos with subtitles and listening to some songs or reading some net posts, but I felt so much more primed to pick up language. I felt more connected to the culture, and wasn't as anxious. My stress, even with Anki somewhere in the back of my mind, was lower than usual. Many of the terms I learned from then are even in my active vocabulary.

I suppose this sudden wall of text may come across as something of a cope blogpost, and I don't mean to spam you or other anons in the general, but it's something I had to spend a lot of time fussing over earnestly. I know so many people benefit from SRS and extol its potential values, but I just couldn't bear or benefit greatly from it in real world use, regardless of any sincere effort. I'm coming to the conclusion that in the end, time spent actively appreciating the culture and not stressing over every aspect of it being perfect may be the true 'optimization' I have to make. I'm also still working on pressing back the crawling, obsessive-compulsive idea of "stop SRS/hard study and you're a failure who'll never make it". It will probably take a long time to let go of my various obsessions surrounding language acquisition, but I'll keep trying.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245773 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)19:02:27') {

'Am I legit the only polyglot on /trv/ i legit speak 4 langs, feels good nigga';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245784 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)19:22:34'  && image=='gigamaroc.jpg') {

'>>2245773
>french
>english
>spanish
>arabic dialect + standard arabic (which are actually two languages if you believe that haitian creole is its own langauge vs french)
>could learn italian but simply can't be arsed

omw to learn chinese and bahasa indonesia to become the ultimate Singapore gigachad expat'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245787 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)19:24:57') {

'>>2245773
Nice, which ones? How do you interface with your languages? I grew up with EN and ES, and am working on JP currently. I can think of a few languages I'd like to learn. A dear long-time friend of mine is a Swede, so I think it would be cool to acquire Swedish to have a better understanding of his culture, and maybe pick up on Scandi memes.

Russian would be way more engaging for me though, since a lot of neat music and popular games media I like are natively in Russian. Even though it isn't my TL, I sometimes listen to this this obscure (Belarussian?) band "Coюз". Here's one of their albums: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nhsrk1nVZuYPLwXAkdBFBK4WkbJOxMVYI
So comfy. I wish I could find stuff like this for my TL.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245869 && dateTime=='05/20/22(Fri)23:11:50') {

'>>2245784
I assume you're an Arab? I wanted to learn Arabic for cooming but the language is so fucking retarded. There are three main versions of Arabic plus each country has their own version of an Arabic dialect which is incomprehensible with each other dialect. It's a complete fucking cluster fuck. No wonder the Arab world is such a shithole.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245918 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)02:25:14') {

'>>2245869
Berber, to be exact. I'm sorry to say, but anyone who thinks "arab countries" (aka members of the arab league, some of them being as arab as latino americans are ethnic russian) are a monolith is extremely ignorant of the truth. I'm not saying that most arab countries (or muslim countries, to be quite honest) aren't shitholes, but they have as much history and complexity as any other shithole out here and is kind of deserving of some understanding, which really is the only way to go forward.

The first thing you have to understand is that there is every "arab dialect" is in actuality its own language, the same way spanish, portuguese and italian are so, or more accurately, Reunion Creole and Haitian Creole are. Granted, they are mutually intelligible in some cases, but not all the time. The main reason why a dialect is more understood throughout the Arab league has to do with two factors :

1) How close it is to Modern Standard Arabic. Levantine (aka palestinian, syrian, lebanese) is extremely close. Therefore anyone having good knowledge of MSA can understand it (and quickly learn to speak it) without a lot of hassle.
2) How culturally dominant the country using said dialect was. Egypt for example was a particularly big proponent of arts, and their shows, actors, and musicians are well known throughout the Arab world, thus allowing for a widespread understanding of their dialect. It being quite close to MSA, and very intelligible and articulate, also helps. On the other hand, consider the non-country of Morocco, who was isolated from the muslim world after the Ottoman Conquests, which has a dialect that diverges completely from MSA with moroccans supplementing it with spanish, berber and french words constantly.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245925 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)02:46:04') {

'>>2245918
(still me)

>three main versions of arabic
No. There's only one, which is MSA, modern standard arabic, which is used for official documentation, internet discussions (rarely), and oftentimes as a lingua franca. The only issue is that, well, for most people, MSA is a second language to most Arabs, just as English is a second language to the French. They might watch MSA media, they might go to the mosque and listen to a sermon told in MSA, they might read the quran in MSA, etc... But it ultimately all hinges on whether or not the person in front of you knows enough of it to be arsed to speak it, and they mostly don't, because they fucking suck at school. From experience, Middle eastern folks will straight out answer in their dialect with absolutely no effort of answering back in MSA. Which pisses me the fuck off, so I just speak English when it is possible.

If you truly wish to speak to "arabs", the only way for a non arab person to do so is to gain a solid knowledge of MSA, and then have regular back and forth with levantines until you can basically speak like them. By that time, you will be understood by 90% of arabs, and you can understand pretty much all arabs aside from Algerians and Moroccans. There are very few resources on dialectal arabic due to a joint drive to suppress any written knowledge of dialects, making them oral languages. Which is a huge taboo in the arab world. Only in the arab world will someone litterally burst in anger, call you a non-believer, a jew, a secularist, because you told them that the language you learned at home should also be taught at school. What a fucking joke.

Also, in complete honesty, there is litterally no plus value for you if you do it for the coom. The women who want to fuck you are actively learning english to make that happen and are far from their families, and the ones who don't will just string you along until marriage while trying to convert you. The public shaming is absolutely insane here.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245945 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)03:59:56') {

'>>2245925
>>2245918
Why not just combine them all into one language that everyone uses such as what China did with mandarin? god are you arabs fucking retarded.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245952 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)04:30:10'  && image=='bordel.png') {

'>>2245945
Not nearly as retarded as not having Portugal, Spain, France and Italy not combine their language back into latin

I mean do you white people ever use your fucking brains ?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245985 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)06:18:17') {

'>>2245945
>>2245945
>A retard crying about why a language isnt simpler

Even if Arabic was unified under one lang you would still be too fucking dumb to learn it'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2245986 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)06:19:32') {

'>>2245784
How do you get motivation to learn all these european languages knowing most europeans are assholes who hate morrocans?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246018 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)08:16:50'  && image=='Global NT - Six Language New Testament (12).jpg') {

'>>2245757
>>2245758
I'm glad that we arrived at the same conclusion. For - you see - many people have the ability to 'hyper-focus' their attention on some things - I wish I could myself - but it is the object of such discipline that counts. If one lapses diligence and concentrates that energy - rather than studying the language itself - onto 'building the perfect Anki deck' for example, then one would find oneself wasting copious amounts of time on that alone, perhaps even to the point of obsession.
I once upon a time, I snuck into a university lecture for the heck of it. They spoke of economics. Most of it was USURY IS... LE GOOD! But one concept stuck out as something to be remembered, and that was 'Opportunity Cost'. The theory behind it is that with the investment of time doing one this comes the loss of that of another, so the message is to choose wisely in the short amount of time you have: Ars longa vita brevis.
>>2245773
>>2245784
Youse the same poster?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246019 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)08:18:26'  && image=='Dictionary.png') {

'>>2246018
Forgot the call-sign.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246056 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)09:49:02'  && image=='123498745986.jpg') {

'>>2245945
For starters, China is a unified political entity that can feasibly police language within their borders, unlike the Arab world which has some level of cooperation, but is dozens of independent states that each have an interest in maintaining a distinctive identity. To try and have one vernacular be ascended as the definitive "Arabic" would be a hard sell to say the least.
And besides, China didn't "unite" the disparate dialects, rather they suppressed them in favor of Beijing Mandarin, similarly to how France suppressed the regional Romance dialects in favor of Parisian French.
The closest idea to what you want would be some sort of zonal conlang that functions more akin to the vernacular dialects of Arabic versus MSA that keeps closer to Quaranic, which I guess is technically possible, but the efficacy would be lacking even when done well. You're probably better off just grinding the languages at the end of the day if you have an interest in communicating with them.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246071 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)10:18:19') {

'>>2245869
>i wanted to learn language for cooming but it's so hard waahh wahhh
Typical braindead coomer nigger with low IQ'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246108 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)11:54:20') {

'>>2245784
Maroc KING'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246139 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)12:43:14'  && image=='1651906085538.jpg') {

'Post your language wish list or languages you want to learn if you had the time

Greek
Italian
Russian
Romanian
Polish
Serbo-croatian
Turkish
Swedish
Arabic
Swahilli
Indonesian
Chinese
Vietnamese'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246146 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)12:56:00') {

'>>2246139
These posts are retarded.
Ge'ez
Spanish
Japanese
Ancient Greek
Latin
Russian
Classical Arabic
Akkadian
Mandarin Chinese
Thai
French
German
Sanskrit
Hindi
Korean
Italian'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246148 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)12:57:54') {

'>>2246146
>That feel when you already speak 5 of ur wish list langs

How fucking jelly are you my negro?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246161 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)13:25:40') {

'>>2246148
Which ones?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246181 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)14:06:17') {

'>>2245986
An excellent question

I know french because i basically lived there all my life. Spanish because the majority of spanish speakers arent europeans, and same goes for english. Most NAmericans and oceanians don't know havent seen the worst of our immigration, and latinos, well,
If escobar had a full beard he'd look like my fucking uncle.
Also, don't be to prompt to judge all euros. A lot of them either don't give a fuck, or are just like that because they met the shitty ones, due in no part to the terrible immigration policies they've been enduring. This being said, my drive to learn asian languages rather than euro ones in no small part due to this.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246192 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)14:36:42') {

'I'm a monolingual peasant currently
Would like to learn 7 different languages though'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246197 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)14:44:00'  && image=='1459126625540.jpg') {

'>>2245427
Whats wrong with anki?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246200 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)14:48:58') {

'>>2246197
nothing, if you use it for it's intended purpose. retards start to hate anki because they think they should use it for study, rather than just using it as a quick refresher in the morning.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246277 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)17:40:09') {

'>>2246192
Which languages u want to learn? And u should just buy 7 assimil books and start there. If ur the cuck from the other thread then again i must repeat english being lingua franca is overated meme try speaking to anybody in english in a non large city and you will get btfo'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246282 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)17:56:13') {

'>>2246197
If u collect over 5000 words it just isnt feasible to review all of them in a week or a month , it would take u 2 hours a day just for vocab'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246308 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)19:05:20') {

'>>2245925
>By that time, you will be understood by 90% of arabs, and you can understand pretty much all arabs aside from Algerians and Moroccans.
Thx anon.
Sounds to me like most arab dialects are in fact just that, dialects, and not 'basically different languages'?
And: Magrebh region aside, are the differences between msa and dialects actually bigger than between dialects themselves?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246341 && dateTime=='05/21/22(Sat)19:30:45') {

'>>2246308
Not him but There is no hard definiton of dialect or lang, they already explained to you, the difference between arab dialects is as great as italian and spanish, a spaniard and italian can still communicate at a very basic level same for most arab dialects'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2246552 && dateTime=='05/22/22(Sun)05:36:48') {

'>>2246277
>Russian
>Japanese
>Italian
>Thai
>Mandarin
>Yoruba
In addition to my native english
I am the same person from the other thread'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2247303 && dateTime=='05/23/22(Mon)06:56:44'  && image=='Collins Gem Arabic Dictionary.png') {

'I am asking again:
Is this a good dictionary?
I've a Spanish and Russian dictionary of the same brand with few but grave errors in the IPA notation, but since I'm less familiar with Arabic than those two, I've no way of knowing.
>>2246197
Read this >>2246018'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2247949 && dateTime=='05/24/22(Tue)04:43:36') {

'>>2246282
>click on hard
>next time that card shows up is in 6 months'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2248767 && dateTime=='05/25/22(Wed)11:31:42') {

'>>2247303
Yes and no'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2248990 && dateTime=='05/25/22(Wed)16:45:56') {

'>>2244810
Current Language Torrent Thread
>>>/t/1097723'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249018 && dateTime=='05/25/22(Wed)17:23:52'  && image=='678567567.png') {

'Would this be worth paying for to learn Italian? The premise seems a good idea to me at least. I would prefer a physical book';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249227 && dateTime=='05/26/22(Thu)01:09:13') {

'>another clique meme filled general about languages that is zero help
please bring this autism back to /int/, and take the coomer threads with you if possible'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249231 && dateTime=='05/26/22(Thu)01:13:29') {

'>>2249227
Keep this here and move some of the coomer threads to /int/, try to drop the shills off at /pol/ on the way.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249290 && dateTime=='05/26/22(Thu)04:58:05'  && image=='1653552394459.jpg') {

'>>2244810
GOOD thread, thank you guys.

>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Make frens!
A long time ago I had an aussie friend from /int/ and we used to routinely talk about our countires, cultures and whatnot. It was a nice English practice for me (inb4 >aussie >english) and I taught him some Russian.

My idea is to find someone who'd like to talk every now and then, learn some Russian, and correct my English.

My time zone is EEST and we can choose any messenger as long as audio is good.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249400 && dateTime=='05/26/22(Thu)08:30:56') {

'>>2248767
Elaborate.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249401 && dateTime=='05/26/22(Thu)08:31:49') {

'>>2249018

That's a good idea, just make sure you aren't defaulting to the English side when you read the stories'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249836 && dateTime=='05/26/22(Thu)23:03:58') {

'Is there an order to chinese radicals or characters?
Or do I literally just start learning the most common characters and their radicals?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249876 && dateTime=='05/27/22(Fri)01:23:08') {

'>>2249836
>order of radicals
Doesn't really matter, maybe go from simple to more complex and avoid learning similar radicals at the same time.
>order of characters
Either by radical or if you want immediate results by frequency.

The /trv/ compromise would be to learn the most useful common characters first and then go from there by radicals.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249884 && dateTime=='05/27/22(Fri)01:40:48') { }

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2249992 && dateTime=='05/27/22(Fri)05:34:13'  && image=='Fortune Favours The Bold Chads.png') {

'>>2249018
It's probably politicised crap. If you don't find a tranny or suchlike, I'd be happy to have been proven wrong.
Always best to reread books you've already read but in your target language so you remember the 'flow of thought'.
>>2249290
https://clagnut.com/blog/2380/#English_phonetic_pangrams
Give these a try on Vocaroo, бpaть.
>>2249884
Fud.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2251272 && dateTime=='05/28/22(Sat)23:55:56') {

'>>2245427
I wouldn't have passed JLPT N2 without it

Just use it as a refresher tool in your daily routine (i.e. for 15 minutes before you sleep). Any longer and it starts to lose its effectiveness'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2251278 && dateTime=='05/29/22(Sun)00:23:03'  && image=='1652160273416.jpg') {

'is Duolingo really that bad?
I'm learning Spanish and although it's pretty basic and doesn't teach conversational stuff, i feel like it's given me a decent foundation after using it for a few weeks'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2251456 && dateTime=='05/29/22(Sun)08:46:49'  && image=='Confidence Curve.png') { }

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2251909 && dateTime=='05/29/22(Sun)21:35:03') {

'>>What is the most useful language?
>French
how ? i speak french and i don't find it useful at all.
>>2247303
it's good for Arabic speakers to learn English phonics.
>>2245784
same wlkn lfronci 3ndi na9sa, ma3ndich m3a conjugaison, and i can't get myself to study it, any tips ?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2251913 && dateTime=='05/29/22(Sun)21:38:44') {

'>>2246148
kys self-absorbed fag'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2251994 && dateTime=='05/30/22(Mon)02:01:47') {

'>>2251278
The main purpose of Duolingo is to get you hooked. A good way to get you motivated to start to learn the basics of a language.

This article explains it well
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/12/language-apps-duolingo/573919/'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2252002 && dateTime=='05/30/22(Mon)02:11:55') {

'>>2251456
>Reddit'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2252159 && dateTime=='05/30/22(Mon)08:51:39'  && image=='281073860_423969952586692_3184782728654347314_n.jpg') {

'Would you guys be okay with it if I did daily progress updates on my Tamil? Or would that be obnoxious';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2252738 && dateTime=='05/31/22(Tue)05:03:34') {

'>>2252159
I don't think heavy blogposting would be ideal, but regular discussion about your experiences with the language and language learning overall should be fine or even encouraged. It's a slow-set board (and our general really only borders association anyway), so comment when you have something particularly intriguing or exciting to share, or if you have a topic you'd like to introduce. That's what I think is best for yielding the most valuable dialogue, anyway. The only reason I haven't personally posted in well over a week myself is that I don't have anything novel to present, or suitable responses to supply to prompts of others. Doesn't mean I haven't lurked.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2252803 && dateTime=='05/31/22(Tue)07:56:03') {

'>>2251272
Maybe I'll make an exception for ideographic scripts such as that of Japanese and Chinese, but that's it.
>>2251909
It was the lingua franca prior to English; it still is in a fair few place.
>>2252159
Do that, but keep the results of each day in a TXT file or use Image Merge from PineTools and post it every week.
Why Tamil?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2252831 && dateTime=='05/31/22(Tue)08:38:36') {

'>>2252814
As a rule, the less 'white' a country is, the easier it is to understand the language imparted by their colonisers. This isn't because they speak a simplified, dumbed-down variety, but due to them not forming dialects organically as it is primarily their second or third language.
Senegalese/ Congo French - closer to the Parisian standard than the Quebécois
Angolan/ Moçambique Portuguese - closer to the European variety than the Brazilian
Equatorial Guinean Spanish - closer than any Latin American country to Castilian Spanish.
Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile (nearly a carbon copy of Rioplatonese even if a bit mixed) are also the most 'white' but are the most divergent, while Peru is the least 'white' and they are the easiest to understand.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2252835 && dateTime=='05/31/22(Tue)08:45:27') {

'>>2252833
Yes, unless they're ethnically French and have been there for 400 years like the Afrikaans, which they haven't.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253135 && dateTime=='05/31/22(Tue)18:23:06') {

'>>2252831
This so fucking wrong wow. Most africans do speak a dialect of french and some even border fucking a creole language, the only africans that speak standardized are parisiens.

However, most africans and tone down their dialect power level and speak to u in standard french. But day to day africans speak in dialect'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253136 && dateTime=='05/31/22(Tue)18:24:24') {

'>>2253135
>are parisiens..

Lmao meant to write politicians but still sort of right'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253230 && dateTime=='05/31/22(Tue)22:20:49') {

'>>2253135
Has it occurred to you that they might be speaking their native languages in a French accent?
Go to Brittany and hear how the Celts speak.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253237 && dateTime=='05/31/22(Tue)22:42:10') {

'Anyone have experience with language schools in South America? I want to do one next year since I am a teacher and have summers off. Learning spanish on my own is aids, I just don't have the interest to maintain and I need a lot of work speaking it so being forced to interact with it and learn as part of a daily routine and also be put in immediate situations where its needed I think would work best for me.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253267 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)00:42:48') {

'>>2253230
>Has it occurred to you that they might be speaking

Youre retarded its the other way around i have many african friends, in africa you have dozens of languages in a 10 miles radius, basically they need to use french or creole french to speak to other tribes who dont speak their native tongue.

And to my surprise the one country who has very little french dialect diversity is switzerland people speak more standardized then parisians shitty parisienne slang'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253275 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)01:12:52') {

'>>2253267
Also wtf does britanny have to do with french language use in africa? Im well aware breton isnt a french dialect'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253276 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)01:14:14') {

'>>2253237
No experience with it but sounds like fun just choose a country and do it'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253283 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)01:42:40'  && image=='281456695_1045286712738230_209261962295479509_n.jpg') {

'>>2252738
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, that makes sense. I'll post when there's something of interest and keep my daily stuff to discord.
>>2252803
Good idea, maybe I'll do that sometime.
>Why Tamil?
A couple reasons. I started looking into it because of my gf (who is Tamil but doesn't speak the language very well) and found a number of things to recommend it:
>It's the oldest living language in the world
>It has a beautiful script and a rich literary tradition
>It sounds nice'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253324 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)04:17:48') {

'>>2253267
The education system is pretty standardised in Africa at least when it comes to French, which is why there isn't a thousand creoles as there is in the Caribbean. Haitian Creole only exists for the same reason African-American Vernacular does: the suppression of education, of which there are many - often violent - stories.
>>2253283
>gf
Why do you have to mix race?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253350 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)05:00:28'  && image=='70707C06-D561-4486-BAC0-F76F92B332C1.jpg') {

'>>2244810
I just began to learn Greek
Why? To make my ancestors :) proud'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253359 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)05:23:38'  && image=='5a27212d7101ad7bcc1385cc.jpg') {

'>>2253324
>pretty standardized in Africa at least when it comes to French,

Youre moving the goal post now, from "Most africans speak standard french more so then contintal french" (which is just wrong and most speak in dialects) to now "most africans dont speak as much creole as islanders" which i dont disagree with'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253367 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)05:45:54') {

'>>2253359
I was referring to the educational system.
Speaking a language horribly =/= dialectical variation.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253374 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)06:27:31') {

'>>2253367
>Speaking a language horribly

Cute opinion but unanimously french linguist agree most west africans have their own french dialect. Idk why u seem to think only europeans can have dialects'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253377 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)06:37:24') {

'>>2253374
>Cute
Yes, young lady. The distance between Parisian French and that spoken in her colonies is about 150 years owing to the Treaty of Berlin. America English is 300 years separated from Received Pronunciation in Britain, and Spanish in parts of America is nearly 500 years removed from that in Madrid: this is why accents vary.
>Idk why u seem to think only europeans can have dialects
I just spoke of kreyòl ayisyen.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253378 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)06:44:15') {

'>>2253377
Geographical isolation and native language pressures influence speed of dialects forming, how contrived that I need to explain this to a self proclaimed "linguist" also since you cant shut the fuck up about french education in africa it's also important to note the obvious that most west africans dont have acess to good education which explains many of them speak vernacular west african french.
This is my last post'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253380 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)06:53:57') {

'>>2253378
I think you're conflating colloquial vs formal register of speech with dialects.
>Geographical isolation and native language pressures influence speed of dialects forming
Not necessarily - there's an island of the inaptly named Rhode Island where everyone speaks with a non-rhotic 'British' accent.
>"linguist"
That's just an appellation to assist others. I'm actually an engineer.
>education
The ones that aren't educated simply don't speak French and content themselves with quite village life as do the Igbo and Yoruba.
What troubles you, mademoiselle?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253381 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)06:54:58') {

'>>2253380
>quite
quiet*'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2253396 && dateTime=='06/01/22(Wed)07:34:08') {

'>>2253378
Another french learner here not sure what that retard is arguing with you about when the l'académie française acknowledges "West African French" as a legitmate variety/dialect of metropolitan french . of course West african french is just an umbrella term for the many varieties of west african dialects that exist in that region

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_French'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2254420 && dateTime=='06/02/22(Thu)18:09:20') {

'>>2246139
Might have to take out romanian from list I just learned close to 40% of Romanian vocab is just french and italian and another 15% vocab of foreign extraction. Whats the point of learning a lang when close to 70% of its vocab is foreign?

Seems like a meme language like English'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2254421 && dateTime=='06/02/22(Thu)18:10:28') {

'>>2254420
>close to 40%

I meant over 40%'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2254814 && dateTime=='06/03/22(Fri)13:38:37') {

'it's me or does the english accent sound better than the american one?';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2254851 && dateTime=='06/03/22(Fri)14:56:01') {

'>>2254814
It's you british women love american accents'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2255237 && dateTime=='06/04/22(Sat)10:28:26') {

'>>2254439
That's comparable to saying 'c'est la vie' renders English a dialect of French.
>>2254814
It's not just you, but then again, there are more accents in Britain than RP and the same goes for America.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2255248 && dateTime=='06/04/22(Sat)11:06:40') {

'>>2254814
There are a million british accents and 99% suck. I want to punch whoever speaks in a posh british accent.
Making a mutt accent feels better on the tongue for me, so that's what I do.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2255512 && dateTime=='06/04/22(Sat)22:08:23') {

'>>2255237
English is techinally a french dialect as well, thanks to normans early modern english is unrecognizable to old english'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2255676 && dateTime=='06/05/22(Sun)08:24:35') {

'>>2255512
So is nearly every language unintelligible to its archaic variety, be it Ancient Greek to Modern, Egyptian to Coptic, Classical Chinese to Modern, Old French to Modern, and Modern 'Hebrew' isn't even Hebrew.
The only exceptions are Hungarian, Icelandic, and other languages that were isolated from linguistic migration for that period of time which they diverged.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2256240 && dateTime=='06/06/22(Mon)01:54:58') {

'>>2255676
you imbecile even the difference between old english and middle english is so large that after 200 years of norman rule english creolized so much that it became incomprehensible to the old english substrate. it isnt a matter of being archaic but of huge foreign influence'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2256298 && dateTime=='06/06/22(Mon)05:09:17') {

'>>2256240
'Dialect' has a connotation of being mutually intelligible, which is not the case with English and French. Anglo-French was once a living creole, but is now extinct.
My point was that English is not unique in regard to foreign influence, not unique by a very wide margin. Arabic to Persian is arguably greater in comparison, aside from the other ones mentioned before.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2256307 && dateTime=='06/06/22(Mon)05:33:23') {

'>>2254851
And American women love British accents, what is your point? Americans are more attractive on average and they care about their appearance almost to the point of mental illness, but you really appreciate that when looking for hookups.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2256331 && dateTime=='06/06/22(Mon)06:00:39') {

'>>2256298
>'Dialect' has a connotation of being mutually intelligible

Im not the guy who claimed english a dialect of french , but what a coward way to argue and try to change the subject that you lost in.

>Arabic to Persian is arguably greater in comparison
>tries to move the post again by talking out of his ass

mate Persian vocab is still very much persian highest estimates put arabic words in at 30% rest is Persian. Latin vocab in English? over 60 fucking percent.

>My point was that English is not unique in regard to foreign influenc

nah lets go back to your actual point you coward, I was never arguing about england being unique , english does however share many traits with other creole languages due to large foreign influence

>'c'est la vie' renders English a dialect of French.

unironically yes and no, the more foreign influence a language has the more it's creolized hence it becomes an english dialect different from other english dialects spoken in england at the time. once normans conquest of england ended most of their influence only spread to south england ie london. northern parts of england still spoke in a similar old english way ie scots , english isnt a dialect of french but it became a dialect of old english thanks to french.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2256333 && dateTime=='06/06/22(Mon)06:01:39') {

'>>2256331
>it becomes an english dialect

a different dialect*'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2256365 && dateTime=='06/06/22(Mon)07:07:29'  && image=='Tough luck, kiddo.png') { }

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2259248 && dateTime=='06/09/22(Thu)16:36:20'  && image=='descarga.jpg') {

'>>2244810
>Africa
>Business
Personally, I have been spending the past 3 years learning French. So far, I've had literally no use for the language, even though I really like it. African Francophones contribute to nothing at all on the internet.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2259793 && dateTime=='06/10/22(Fri)08:30:42') {

'>>2259248
>on the internet.
What a silly metric. Perhaps you need to know what you're looking for.
It's also the lingua franca of the Pacific, the Caribbean, and the whole world prior to post-war English.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2260886 && dateTime=='06/11/22(Sat)16:13:25'  && image=='1488913095857.jpg') {

'Currently I am learning russian.
Am I liable to make as many grammar mistakes in other languages I may study in the future? or is russian grammar just some of the worst to figure out?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2262021 && dateTime=='06/13/22(Mon)08:16:34'  && image=='wAnki.png') {

'>>2260886
That would depend on which language you choose to learn later on, but once you surmount the Confidence Curve, she'll be right.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2262320 && dateTime=='06/13/22(Mon)17:09:01') {

'>>2262021
I just feel like something like chinese, which is one of the so-called 'hard' languages might be easier to learn than russian simply because I know its grammar isnt nearly as complex.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2262363 && dateTime=='06/13/22(Mon)18:06:15'  && image=='2b40cfd67d6e3f3cbd7f2c160facc441be0f1b667b5e0bf879bc40c01f7aee1d_1.jpg') {

'Question, I'm going to Cancun in early August, what's the most efficient way I can learn Spanish by August to get by? I don't need to hold full blown conversations but I would like to know more then just the basics. It would be my "4th" language (if that helps), but it's the first that I would be teaching myself with. Any advice?';

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2263328 && dateTime=='06/15/22(Wed)05:21:03') {

'>>2262363
It'll take you a month to read a textbook (or a week if you're know what you're doing). Do that and watch very dialogue-heavy media alternating the subtitles to passively increase vocabulary.
Memorise conversation starters and tourist phrases, but bear in mind slang which even put off native Spanish speakers from other countries.
See >>2244814'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2263566 && dateTime=='06/15/22(Wed)14:21:37'  && image=='Spanish Languge Flags.png') {

'>>2244810
>What language(s) are you learning?
>Español regularmente, Deutsch zum Spass, tiny bit of Francais review but focusing hard on Spanish, don't want to learn another Romance language right now and ruin my Spanish pronunciation, immersion, and momentum.
>Vi un video de los acentos de Alehman, y los de Austria y Italiano-Suisse son mas sexy que toda. ?Cuales son los acentos nativos de Español mas sexy por un hombre que le gusta las mujeres?
How does one learn how to type in a foreign language?
Como aprendera typar en lenguages foriegnes?
Please, correct my shit as I attempt to throw what seems natural at the wall.
Can we add the question, ">What language(s) do you have any experience with?"
?Hay hablantes de Español aqui?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2263673 && dateTime=='06/15/22(Wed)17:43:05') {

'>>2263566
Solo acabé aprender que el "Alt" key á derecha del space-bar es unico y differente del otro "Alt" key, por los acentos.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2263676 && dateTime=='06/15/22(Wed)17:59:52') {

'>>2263673
Puedes escribir acentos cambiando la disposición de tu teclado a Español - España y dándole a la tecla ' (single quote) antes de escribir una vocal, o también la puedes cambiar a English (US) - Intl y hacer lo mismo pero con ` (backtick)'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2264531 && dateTime=='06/17/22(Fri)08:03:52'  && image=='Greek Keyboard.png') {

'>>2263566
>How does one learn how to type in a foreign language?
That would depend on the keyboard layout. Many correspond greatly with the English QWERTY and many even share the exact same layout, but most have varying degrees of differences especially when considering non-Latin alphabets and scripts, but you mentioned Spanish, French, and German, so let's go along with that.
Spanish uses the same QWERTY layout across the board but diverges somewhat from the English iteration. As the other fellow said, there are two or more 'dead-keys' that serve only to modify others (chiefly vowels): ´ for prosody or stress and ¨ to cease U's silence between G_E or G_I. Ñ also takes up the sapce that is immediately to the right of the L key, often the colon and semicolon but some keyboards vary. Speaking of which, your main concern won't be the letters at all but the punctuation keys as they have nearly all changed: memorise them and you won't have to switch back to the US keyboard setting or other when looking for the inverted comma, asterisk, or slash; the best way to overcome this is to regularly use the 'On-Screen Keyboard' in the background. Finally, there is more than one Spanish keyboard layout. In fact, there are countless countries with 'their own'. The main difference is between Spain proper and Latin America: Spain's has many more keys than the Latin American variety in order to permit dialects like Catalan, Galician, etc. which use more diacritics like ` and ^, and also has Ç - with Alt Gr + 4, ~ can be reached and you can effectively communicate in Portuguese also without issue. The Latin American regionalisation also moves the ´ dead-key which is to the right of Ñ to the key right of P, often [.
French and German are more challenging as their standard is AZERTY and QWERZ respectively, and the French locks numbers behind accented characters via the shift key as they hate dead-keys while the German applies Caps-Lock to the number row as well to get symbols.
2000'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2264538 && dateTime=='06/17/22(Fri)08:15:55') {

'>>2264531
There's also variants for German and French as well.
Swiss is much worse as it adds French accented characters and umlauts everywhere and removes the ß. Liechtenstein also uses this layout.
The Canadian French layout is indeed much better because it doesn't lock the number row, uses a QWERTY standard, and has both dead-keys and set accented characters in convenient places.
I think Belgium has a layout but it's exactly the same as France's except one key.
The Austrian regionalisation is no different to the German and every French-speaking country not in Europe uses the same standard as in France.
I'm not sure about Luxembourg.
Have a look at this:
https://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/A-Visual-Comparison-of-Different-National-Layouts/
>Can we add the question, ">What language(s) do you have any experience with?"
Yes, next thread if I'm there to do it; this is /trv/.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2266514 && dateTime=='06/21/22(Tue)07:16:38'  && image=='Backwards script.png') {

'It appears that if 'euro' is written backwards in both letter and word, it resembles 'Peters' in Hebrew.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2266554 && dateTime=='06/21/22(Tue)08:11:32') {

'>>2245773
> Am I legit the only polyglot on /trv/ i legit speak 4 langs, feels good nigga
I am old and a former professor of linguistics, so I have spent more time thinking about languages than most people, but I can have serious conversations in eight languages. I would only describe myself as fluent in about three of them, but I’m at least high-intermediate in all of the others, and I can fake it/make simple conversation in another half-dozen. I find picking up the basics of almost any language quite easy, as I have a good instinct for grammar and patterns, and am unafraid to try and use them as soon as possible.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2266589 && dateTime=='06/21/22(Tue)08:39:21') {

'>>2266554
Not him but:
1. Which languages are you fluent in and what're the rest?
2. What made your best students better than most?
3. Have you written any substantial language books?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2266663 && dateTime=='06/21/22(Tue)10:23:03') {

'>>2266589
>1. Which languages are you fluent in and what're the rest?
I am a native speaker of English, fluent in Thai and Lao (which are very closely related but not as similar as they seem at first glance—many Thai speakers who think they speak Lao, including myself at the beginning, are fooled by not realizing that the Laotians they are conversing with are trying to speak to them in Thai, which many people in Laos do quite well). Thai and Lao and points in between were my primary research languages when I was a linguist. I am also conversant in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, and German. I have more limited ability in Khmer, Japanese, Cantonese, and Romanian, and I can at least read French and Pāli (dead Indian language, cousin to Sanskrit, scriptural language of Theravada Buddhism, and root of a lot of loanwords in Khmer, Thai, and Lao vocabulary).
>2. What made your best students better than most?
Linguistics naturally attracts oddballs who tend to be pretty good at it; I would say that this passion, just a deep-seated affection for one or more languages, and really good instincts for pattern recognition, typically set the best apart. Also worth pointing out that a lot of really good linguists aren’t necessarily especially good students of language; almost all will have studied multiple languages enthusiastically, in order to analyze them and see how they work in comparison to one another, but under no circumstances does that necessarily mean that they can speak all, or even any, them worth a damn.
>3. Have you written any substantial language books?
No! I was an undistinguished academic, working with unpopular languages in an unfashionable subfield. My single published monograph, a revision of my dissertation that took me an embarrassingly long time to finish and bring to print, was out of print again within a couple of years. Beyond that, I published a handful of papers, in journals nobody reads and proceedings from conferences nobody attended.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2266848 && dateTime=='06/21/22(Tue)15:03:15') {

'kind drunk but any suggestions for portuguese?
Thinking about spending a summer (their winter granted) in Brazil'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2266849 && dateTime=='06/21/22(Tue)15:07:02') {

'>>2266554
>former professor'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2266900 && dateTime=='06/21/22(Tue)16:31:19') {

'>>2266849
>>former professor
OK, you caught me exaggerating. I was an assistant professor for most of my mediocre academic career, but undergrads still called me Professor Anon. I got a few interviews for associate professorships at schools in places like Champaign, Illinois and Binghamton, NY, and I realized there was no way I was going to be able to get a job somewhere I actually wanted to live and work, and even if I did, there was no way I was going to survive the grind long enough to get tenure anywhere, so I chucked it.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2267196 && dateTime=='06/22/22(Wed)04:28:06') {

'>>2266663
Neet. How young are you?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2267203 && dateTime=='06/22/22(Wed)04:46:46') {

'>>2267196
I am not young—I was an attempted academic in three postdoctoral fellowships/visiting lecturerships and two assistant professorships over the course of a little over ten years (most of my 30s). I am now in my 40s.

But I’m also not a NEET, if you meant that rather than “neat.” Went from teaching and research to university administration while “reskilling” in biz school and moved into the private sector.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2267214 && dateTime=='06/22/22(Wed)05:06:00') {

'>>2267203
>40s
That is young.
I thought you were in your 70s so it's a pit of a polite joke for "How old are you"?
>neat
Yes, a misspelling. If I were to call you 'NEET', it would be in the vocative and thus require a comma.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2267223 && dateTime=='06/22/22(Wed)05:16:32') {

'>>2267214
>pit
bit*
I don't even know how that happened; they're not even close on the keyboard.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2267304 && dateTime=='06/22/22(Wed)08:23:11') {

'>>2267214
> I thought you were in your 70s so it's a pit of a polite joke for "How old are you"?
Ha! No, not there yet. Still a couple of years shy of fifty, but even my 80yo parents no longer call me young. Probably can’t even call myself middle-aged anymore without stretching the truth a bit, as there is likely more time behind than in front of me these days.
>If I were to call you 'NEET', it would be in the vocative and thus require a comma.
There I assumed you were opening with a one-word, insulting sentence. Something like:
>“Bastard. Where is my money?”
That was very uncharitable of me. I apologize for assuming ill will.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2267307 && dateTime=='06/22/22(Wed)08:48:27'  && image=='gun-to-head-nodding.gif') {

'>tfw i was taught japanese in high school
>never paid attention, never tried
>29 now
>trying to learn it as an adult
>mfw
For any of you who are reasonably young, please, take learning a language seriously now. Rewiring your brain gets harder and harder with age and even though I'm still in my 20s this is much harder than it would have been back then. Time goes by fast - the last 5 years feel like 1 year to me now - if I had started back then, where would I be now!?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2267436 && dateTime=='06/22/22(Wed)12:47:17') {

'>>2262363
For media to watch I recomment the simpsons, there should be a mexican specific dub for it.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2267442 && dateTime=='06/22/22(Wed)12:57:08') {

'>>2246071
you know arab?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2268026 && dateTime=='06/23/22(Thu)08:46:22'  && image=='Halam.jpg') {

'>>2267304
You never know; anything could happen, even to me at 20 - Mann lebt nur einmal und dann nicht mehr!
>Bastard. Where is my money?”
No worries, mate.
In fact, that 'Bastard' before the full-stop is just a swear word like 'Shit' or 'Damn': the comma is what renders it a form of address just like in addressing a letter.
>>2267304
I've met 70-year old ladies - who never studied languages before - taking Spanish classes with remarkable success.
If you say you can, you can.
If you say you can't, you can't.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2268637 && dateTime=='06/24/22(Fri)05:52:22'  && image=='Cyrillic Orthographic Reform 2022.png') {

'Which is is the more similar of the two:
1. Czech and Slovak, or Bulgarian and Macedonian?
2. Russian and Ukrainian, or Russian and Byelarusian?
3. Hindi and Urdu, or Serbian and Croatian?
4. German and Dutch, or German and Danish?
5. Koiné Greek and Modern Greek, or Classical Latin and Modern Italian?
6. Classical Arabic and MSA, or either and Moroccan Arabic?
7. Farsi and Dari, or Turkish and Azeri?
8. Afrikaans and Dutch, or Haitian Creole and French?
9. RP English and Scottish, or Castilian Spanish and Catalan?
10. Mandarin and Cantonese, or Finnish and Estonian?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2269046 && dateTime=='06/25/22(Sat)00:08:27') {

'>>2254420
It's a Latin language, why is it a problem that most of its vocab is Latin? Would you complain that most of French/Spanish/Portuguese words are the shared with Italian?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2269144 && dateTime=='06/25/22(Sat)04:17:34') {

'>>2268637
Just pulling the trigger on a few of these, for fun, although I would argue, among other things, that mutual intelligibility is lousy to quantify and model.
1. Czech and Slovak, or Bulgarian and Macedonian?
Bulgarian and Macedonian; most people in Sofia think of Macedonian as a Bulgarian dialect, but don’t say that too loud in Skopje. And of course, most linguists consider Czech and Slovak points along a continuum, but that’s a separate argument. Picked the pair I did because the phonemic inventories are identical, but the Czech and Slovak are not.
>2. Russian and Ukrainian, or Russian and Byelarusian?
Definitely Russian and Belarusian, based on personal experience as a Russian user in both countries. I have read stats claiming 75% mutual intelligibility for RU-BY vs 50% for RU-UA, but I never trust those stats.

>3. Hindi and Urdu, or Serbian and Croatian?
Serbian and Croatian, because it’s one damned language whose various dialects have virtually no overlap with national boundaries. Hindi-Urdu is increasingly analyzed as one language as well, I guess, but there’s a very Persian loan-filled literary register in Urdu that is distinct from its Sanskrit cousin in Hindi. There’s no High Croatian that uses words not used in Serbian.

But in both cases, spoken mutual intelligibility must be at or near 100%.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2269167 && dateTime=='06/25/22(Sat)05:39:56') {

'lang looks weird without flags';

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2269748 && dateTime=='06/26/22(Sun)09:05:28') {

'>>2269144
>phonemic inventories
That's a good metric of many.
>Byelarusian
That is actually a minority in Byelarus, which is no wonder why Russian is spoken better. They have an extra letter that makes diphthongs of any vowel and 'У' quite like 'Й'.
>Serbo-Croatian
Perhaps there is a 'High' Register, that is the liturgical use of Old Church Slavonic in Croatian and Serbian preferencing Greek; Bosnian would include concepts uttered in the Mosque and Montenegrin would closely follow Serbian.
>>2269167
That's why I am forced to namefag that others might distinguish myself from others in a string of conversation.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2269770 && dateTime=='06/26/22(Sun)09:59:53') {

'>>2244810
>>What language(s) are you learning?
Math and probably C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-uwNivPvw'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2270359 && dateTime=='06/27/22(Mon)04:36:32') {

'>>2269770
Maths is not a language.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2271142 && dateTime=='06/28/22(Tue)09:33:39'  && image=='You WILL eat the bugs.jpg') {

'What is your favourite song in your Target Language?';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2271278 && dateTime=='06/28/22(Tue)14:34:02') {

'>>2271142
https://youtu.be/x2VGBNjxDgk'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2271352 && dateTime=='06/28/22(Tue)16:35:34') {

'>>2269046
French or italian loan words arent the same as latin words that evolved into romanian.

>Would you complain that most of French/Spanish/Portuguese words are the shared with Italian?

cognates arent the same as loan words .
It's just off putting since I want to learn romanian not french and italian loan words. This was due to language reform romania had

philophical question we're in the year 2200 the japanese language had a reform .now more than 90% of words are english loan words pronounced with a retarded jap accent, would you still want to learn japanese?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2271359 && dateTime=='06/28/22(Tue)16:45:26') {

'>>2266554
>. I would only describe myself as fluent in about three of them, but I’m at least high-intermediate in all of the others, and

thanks for honesty but having a simple convo in 5 langs doesnt really constitute intermediate.( ie b1 cefr level) intermediate is pretty damn hard to achieve at least 600-1500 hours depending on difficulty of lang, and at least 2,000 vocab words known. at intermediate you can deal with most everyday problems from living in the country, saying simple pleasantries and talking about hobbies, interest and family is still very basic'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2272004 && dateTime=='06/29/22(Wed)13:10:49') {

'>>2269770
have sex'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2272027 && dateTime=='06/29/22(Wed)14:12:42') {

'>>2271359
I’ve been tested at B2 in German and Spanish; if my Spanish grammar and vocabulary were just a little better (I have largely forgotten when to use the subjunctive, and I know very few synonyms), I would be a C1. I worked in Mexico for a little over a year and got a lot of practice. B2 is probably generous for my German, though, test notwithstanding (I did a comparatively easy test). Most days I feel more B1.something.

The other ones I’ve never been tested in, I am just basing my estimates on how well I’ve been able to get around in them, which I would call “well enough to not have to use English, at least.”'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2272695 && dateTime=='06/30/22(Thu)10:13:12') {

'>>2271278
Is that a common song or something made for that cartoon? There might be no lyrics for it then, but you could write some and have Russians check your transcription. I did that with a short Italian song made for a old movie and learnt how to write .srt VLC subtitle files, but /trv/ doesn't permit WebMs with sound.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2272751 && dateTime=='06/30/22(Thu)11:16:03') {

'>>2272027
Alright cool, do you do anything to maintain all 8 of your languages? or do you only study spanish and french?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2272755 && dateTime=='06/30/22(Thu)11:21:38') {

'>>2272751
>Alright cool, do you do anything to maintain all 8 of your languages? or do you only study spanish and french?
The only language I am actively studying now is German; I maintain the others by traveling a lot and corresponding with a lot of native-speaker friends. I think I have the advantage of having been exposed to some of them as a child—I lived in Thailand between the ages of 4 and 12, and started studying Spanish when I was about ten (my father speaks Spanish, although not at a native level). So several of my languages are deeply imprinted. Russian is probably my weakest because I have used it the least.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2272756 && dateTime=='06/30/22(Thu)11:24:59') {

'>>2272755
what made you choose german to improve instead of the other ones? Im curious since Im currently C1 in German'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2272898 && dateTime=='06/30/22(Thu)16:28:05') {

'>>2272755
My neegro, u expect me to believe ur intermediate in 5 languages yet you never study them? Sounds like a cope, every seasoned language learner knows if dont use them u loose them, even going to ur target language's countries forn a few days a year doesnt help much'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273027 && dateTime=='06/30/22(Thu)22:09:55') {

'>be me
>around B2 level in German
>only now realizing that it is a totally useless language, and anyone who speaks it I will encounter also knows English
what do I do /lang/ bros? I still enjoy learning the language, but I feel as though I'm wasting my time
>>2268637
>Which is more mutually intelligible with German: Dutch or Danish?
100% Dutch. With some difficulty, even I, someone who is still learning German, can more or less get the idea of a Dutch paragraph. I'm completely lost with Danish, though'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273156 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)02:25:58') {

'>>2272756
>what made you choose german to improve instead of the other ones? Im curious since Im currently C1 in German
I live in “German”-speaking Switzerland. So I was required by law to study the language. After another year or so of Standard German classes I intend to study Swiss German, which is more useful in practice.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273380 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)14:03:37') {

'>>2273027
>only now realizing that it is a totally useless language, and anyone who speaks it I will encounter also knows English

Does one need German as much as one needs japanese in japan or arabic tunisia to get by? Answer is no but language is more than just getting by you idiot, its about the human connection and being able to converse with people, even most german zoomers cant converse in english as people make it seem most young germans are barely A2-b1 in english'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273382 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)14:04:39') {

'>>2273156
Whats your country kf origin or mother tongue?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273449 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)16:37:04') {

'>>2273382
My mother tongue is English and I was born in the United States but spent much of my childhood in Thailand.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273471 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)17:21:08') {

'>>2273449
Are u applying for swiss citizenship? Or what is u doing man?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273585 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)21:38:15'  && image=='Capture.png') {

'>>2273380
Fair enough, and I'm sure that German opens up some opportunities that one wouldn't otherwise have - "totally useless" is hyperbole. Still, I honestly don't see the distinct benefit to learning German over some other, less spoken language unless you have a special interest in Germany or German culture. To each their own, I guess. My question was more so geared towards, "how do you cope with having to completely restart the process with a new language"

>context for picrel: my name is wyatt'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273609 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)22:37:13') {

'>>2273585
>has no interest in german culture
>probably has no strong connections to germans living germnany

Im starting to doubt ur even B2 like why did u even start studying german if it didnt appeal to you.

>how do you cope with having to completely restart the process with a new language"

Idk i never look at language learning as a chore, my advice to you is if youre trying to learn a language because you think it will help you financially just stop and learn another skill'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273641 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)23:19:53') {

'>>2273609
>like why did u even start studying german if it didnt appeal to you.
I never said that I personally have “no interest” in German culture (I never mentioned my own interest) - I said that as we’re talking about what constitutes a “useless” language, in order to justify the time investment in one language over another, one ought to have some special interest in that culture. I had that with German - and still have that -, though I feel as though that alone won’t be enough to carry me beyond B2 stage (I should have used “sufficient” instead of “special”). Tbh, I didn’t put much thought into calling it a “useless” language - a better way to put it would be “a language which has served its purpose for me intellectually”, but this is a 4chan thread, so “useless” will have to do
>because uses you think it will help you financially just stop and learn another skill
I never said that I learn languages to help myself financially - I learn languages because I want to learn about the culture of a place'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273650 && dateTime=='07/01/22(Fri)23:40:10') {

'>>2273641
Why do you feel like your wasting your time with german? What were ur expectations?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273789 && dateTime=='07/02/22(Sat)04:53:48'  && image=='Jordanon.png') {

'I crown Jordanon Sheikh of /lang/.
>>2273027
Have you been on Omegle?
It's like flipping a coin when it comes to their speaking English.
>>2273585
Don't give up now. If you do, what's to say you won't give up again on your next language? You need dedication, and a little confidence won't hurt your self-esteem.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2273854 && dateTime=='07/02/22(Sat)06:55:03') {

'>>2273789
Forgot to namefag*'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2274490 && dateTime=='07/03/22(Sun)09:50:13'  && image=='Franco - El Salvador de España.png') {

'>>2271142
I myself am torn between La Marcha Real and El Novio de la Muerte (slightly favouring the former), but this has both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdx9n0NFeGY'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2275211 && dateTime=='07/04/22(Mon)07:24:44') {

'>>2272004
Why?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2275489 && dateTime=='07/04/22(Mon)14:58:19') {

'>>2275211
Because we dont want you to cause a mass shooting'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2275905 && dateTime=='07/05/22(Tue)03:48:21') {

'>>2275489
When was the last time a priest did a mass shooting?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2276596 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)00:25:36') {

'I've endeavored to read more in my TL lately, particularly in the form of novels. I constantly encounter new vocabulary and some associated grammar in nearly every passage I cover. Juggling this 'burden' can take some considerable cognitive effort to get through in one go, and my pacing ultimately suffers as I attempt to comprehend as much as possible. Because of this, I'm finding that it is too fatiguing to maintain the mental and physical energy to focus 'meaningfully' for long, even being lulled towards sleep from increased fatigue. It's a bit dazing.

In spite of this struggle, this has been a substantial benefit to my command of my TL. My overall comprehension is exploding, and my ability to think in the language is progressing splendidly too. I think the raw language content and entertainment-first nature of a novel is especially useful for nurturing acquisition, and terribly underrated as a source for learning. Not only is vocabulary definition lookup vastly more rapid with e-books than with other source formats like movies or games, but the potential raw amount of sophisticated, descriptive content is greater. I'm tired from reading for hours on end day after day. It is tiring; tiring, but powerful.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2276742 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)04:30:28') {

'>>2276596
You must never lose your passion.
Once you are motivated, the only other thing you need is time and nothing more.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2276743 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)04:37:06') {

'>>2276596
Solution to ur problem, read easier books dont be such a proud cunt'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2276749 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)04:50:45') {

'>>2276743
>Tall-Poppy Syndrome
How many languages do you know?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277132 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)14:20:44') {

'>>2276749
Fluent in 4'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277423 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)20:04:13') {

'>>2277132
And what would those be?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277453 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)21:14:05') {

'>>2277423
French, German, Spanish, I still feel like I fraud when i see niggas speaking 10+ langs on jewtube, but yea lifelong goal is to speak 16 langs atleast at a b1 level'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277480 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)22:16:34') {

'>>2277453
>fluent in 4
>lists 3
You busted yourself.

>>2244810
Shitposting aside, I'm currently learning Khmer because I'm expatting there. It's so much easier when you live in the place, my only issue is local music mostly sucks, and I'm not even close to reading books because the writing system is slightly retarded and I seem to mostly remember words by sound. Unlike other languages I refuse to practice handwriting and I'm not sure whether it's affecting my memorization but I definitely go faster through anki like this.
I know around 200-300 words but still cannot differentiate some letters in the alphabet when I come across them.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277485 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)22:44:01') {

'>>2277480
Why Cambodia? Are you hiding from someone?
Handwriting helps because you associate the sound with muscle memory, and Khmer is based on Indic Devanagari, not Ideographic Chinese.
Get used to Christian hymns. They're standardised in every language. I think I watched a rendition of Ode to Joy in Swahili not for the language (yet) but out of novelty a while back.
>>2277453
How do you prove your fluency?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277513 && dateTime=='07/06/22(Wed)23:31:01') {

'>>2277485
I take cefr exams , and u how many languages you speak?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277667 && dateTime=='07/07/22(Thu)05:16:42'  && image=='Protestant to Protestant - Double Negative.png') {

'>>2277513
I can hold a thorough conversation in Spanish and can speak very elementary German, familiarity with both permits me to understand more formal texts of related languages (common Latin roots for Romance, Germanic, etc.).
I now learn one at a time, which is slower in gaining new languages, but more rapidly builds fluency for the one in question; that is Spanish now after a brief foray into German, which will be continued later.
A good reference for rating 'fluency' is how the average person would react (non-verbally as well) when spoken to; some people are surprised that Spanish is my second language as opposed to my first, but that's their words, not mine.
Aside from Omegle, there are diaspora communities around the world that will gladly assist in the learning process, religious ones are the most helpful.
I think reading Don Quijote to completion whilst fully understanding it would raise oneself up one level on a CEFR exam - I might try that: you can get Bilingual parallel texts from Amazon.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277687 && dateTime=='07/07/22(Thu)06:08:39') {

'Any polylingual euros have any idea how long it would take to learn french? I speak Swedish, English, and Spanish fluently and I’ve been meaning to learn French for a while but never found the right time to do so. Downloaded some old French movies from /t/ and planning on traveling there sometime in August. As for my other languages I would hope that having the French language ‘surrounded’ would make it faster to learn but I’ve heard it’s a bitch to learn';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2277853 && dateTime=='07/07/22(Thu)12:18:31') {

'>>2277687
It's a bitch mostly because of the phonetics and the grammar, but by knowing Spanish you have quite the advantage.

>>2277485
>Why Cambodia? Are you hiding from someone?
It's a nice country most of the time.

>Khmer is based on Indic Devanagari, not Ideographic Chinese
Even Khmer people avoid writing in their language at times because it's so cumbersome. Seeing a local write on their phone keyboard or in paper feels like watching an american trying not to clap, they suffer. It takes 2x or more than writing something simple in English.

It also feels like attempting to write down a word you hear is absolutely impossible because there might be 3-4 ways to write it, and if you hear it from someone speaking a dialect then you can just give up.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2278035 && dateTime=='07/07/22(Thu)18:16:35') {

'>>2277667
Kind of grasping at straws with the german lad, it's ok to be bilingual , not everyone can be a badass quadrilingual like me (soon to be pentalingual)

Also just word of advice which u probably wont take cuz you're a jelly cunt, reading don quixote will not help you improve your contemporary spanish, most natives cant even read don quixote but if you like old literarure than go for it'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2278102 && dateTime=='07/07/22(Thu)20:55:04') {

'>>2277853
>It's a nice country most of the time.
that can't be your only reason.
Most Chinese can write their innumerable chicken scratches with ease from memory. Aside from the 'supplemental forms' (which is quite reminiscent of Arabic or any shorthand cursive), it should be no more difficult than most of the scripts in that area, that is unless the orthography is not phonetic, then you will have trouble.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_script
Elaborate on the '3-4 ways'. Perhaps they are different sounds entirely like the aspirated TH in Thai as compared to the conventional T also found therein.
Worst comes to worst, hire a French interpreter for $20 a day - there are plenty left over and Laos still uses it as an administrative language,
>>2278035
>Don't be a proud cunt
Well, you're most certainly older than me at 20, so you have definitely had a head-start.
I tend to think of Envy as the 'Woman's Sin'. In such a world of abundance of both wealth and knowledge, what reason is their to be Jealous?
>will not help
Quite an absolute choice of words, regardless, even if you are right, I will read it anyway as a literary text, but it will make a verifiable difference considering the 1000 most common words more or less remain the same, recalling irregular verbs, more formal grammar to study also (principally the subjunctive), and the general fact that it is study material.
I have read excerpts and it is not as old as 'El Canto de Mio Sid' or 'Beowulf' in English, rather like the works of Shakespeare, which - by the way - I would advise to any ESL student for the shear breadth of vocabulary used today owing to the diverse worlds and themes created that necessitate it - Apparently, they do this in Germany.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2278119 && dateTime=='07/07/22(Thu)21:28:35') {

'>>2278102
Dude youre 20 lol , you have no idea what youre saying bye now'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2278135 && dateTime=='07/07/22(Thu)22:20:47') {

'>>2278119
Are you a woman?
You seem to be taking this rather personally.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2278185 && dateTime=='07/07/22(Thu)23:37:32') {

'>>2245427
How the fuck I'm supposed to learn kanji without it'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2278950 && dateTime=='07/09/22(Sat)02:51:18') {

'>>2278185
How have people learnt it since the Meiji Restoration?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2279838 && dateTime=='07/10/22(Sun)12:09:26') {

'>>2278185
Japanese is my primary TL. As someone who has dabbled in everything from RTK to Core/Anki mining, and since abandoned them entirely, I have found that they are not actually necessary for acquisition of vocabulary or related kanji. All I do is engage with abundant sources of comprehensible input that I find intriguing. In my case, lately, this would be 小説や音声作品、など。I watched some videos on unusual 方言 and 座禅/瞑想 too, since those are topics of interest to me, and gained related info and vocabulary from that. The human mind is astoundingly adept at pattern recognition when you allow yourself to treat these language patterns as parts of a language rather than an alien script you need to hyper-analyze. I think ignoring this is the ultimate downfall of 95% of JP learners.

As for improving your function for doing so, ignoring meta stuff like meditation or tea, supplements, etc, there are a few things I think boosted my ability to naturally draw associations. Both ironically Anki decks, but a basic Japanese radicals deck and CureDolly's Sound Sisters deck will help you to naturally start to draw associations in words without autistically analyzing everything. You may start knowing readings or vague (emphasis on vague) "meanings" of kanji you come across without even knowing associated words beforehand. For a radicals deck, just search for a shared deck in the Anki browser. For the SS content, refer to this entire page:
https://learnjapaneseonline.info/2014/12/06/the-key-to-japanese-kanji-pronunciation-meet-the-sound-sisterhoods/
Even both combined won't make up a fraction of most Core/basics decks, but still provide you useful references to naturally start inferring real language from. The western world has simultaneously mythicized and demonized the acquisition of Japanese and other "hard" languages. Yet, most people 'studying' don't even read. Just read.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2279919 && dateTime=='07/10/22(Sun)14:40:43') {

'>>2278035
>reading don quixote will not help you improve your contemporary spanish, most natives cant even read don quixote

This is me with Shakespeare. No idea wtf he is saying and I'm a native English speaker.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2281096 && dateTime=='07/12/22(Tue)05:46:14') {

'>>2279919
Just use a quick-dictionary - even Siri works most of the time. It's moreso the register than the language: try reading an advanced engineering paper.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2281134 && dateTime=='07/12/22(Tue)07:08:25') {

'>>2278950
By going to school for 12 years you absolute mongo'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2281139 && dateTime=='07/12/22(Tue)07:16:10') {

'>>2281134
I meant diplomats and missionaries, and that was a rhetorical question anyway. Jokes on you.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2281466 && dateTime=='07/12/22(Tue)16:20:40') {

'>>2281096
You're a fucking idiot,mate, glad you'll never learn a language'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2281996 && dateTime=='07/13/22(Wed)08:26:40') {

'>>2281466
Are you having a sook over me telling you to get good? Lol, lmfao even.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282077 && dateTime=='07/13/22(Wed)10:23:57') {

'>>2273471
>Are u applying for swiss citizenship? Or what is u doing man?
I am not presently considering pursuing Swiss citizenship, and I am a number of years away from eligibility at this point, anyway. I am a lot closer to eligibility for permanent residence, which I expect to get, but we shall see. A lot depends on what happens with my and my wife’s careers over the next couple of years, and with my children’s education. I am not in a hurry to make a decision.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282089 && dateTime=='07/13/22(Wed)10:29:32') {

'>>2277485
> Khmer is based on Indic Devanagari
Actually Brahmi, so it and Devanagari have a common ancestor. But it is Indic and close enough to alphabetic (actually abugidic, but you’re still talking about letters associated with sounds rather than symbols associated with meanings, so close enough for government work).'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282628 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)04:03:43') {

'>>2282077
Whats your biggest regret in life'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282643 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)04:27:09'  && image=='szw5oj3dly991.jpg') {

'Which language should I learn if I want a dominant wife?';

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282690 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)06:13:03') {

'>>2282643
Why not just transition now?
You clearly don't want to be a man.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282713 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)06:40:52') {

'>>2282643
stick to your containment thread pajeet'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282744 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)07:29:10') {

'>>2282628
>Whats your biggest regret in life
This is a very off-topic question; why do you ask?

At the moment, I regret never really learning to read music, or play the piano; I had lessons as a kid that I didn’t take seriously.

There are others, too, of course. But they are fleeting. Not useful to dwell on them.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282748 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)07:37:36') {

'>>2282744
Khan Academy should sort you out.
It's not a hard thing to learn to read music; even writing music is easy.
No, it ain't hard at all, unlike... Maths.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282765 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)07:52:53') {

'>>2271142
Not exactly my target language, because this is Bern German, which is actually very different from the local variety I intend to acquire, but it’s been one of my favorite Swiss German songs in recent months:
https://youtu.be/ocCLXqHv7EU'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282771 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)07:59:23') {

'>>2282748
> Khan Academy should sort you out.
It's not a hard thing to learn to read music; even writing music is easy.
No, it ain't hard at all, unlike... Maths.
I don’t have a lot of time to devote to music these days; I am a hobbyist guitar player and singer-songwriter, so I have a decent sense of music, I’m just illiterate.

And do you actually find mathematics difficult? I have often read that people who are linguistically inclined are also often musical and mathematical naturals, and I know a few people who serve as good anecdotal examples of that claim, but it was never the case for me—I do have a good ear and a head for music (albeit informally), but math was never easy or enjoyable to me.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282785 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)08:12:17') {

'>>2282771
You could probably learn it in a day: there're no 'silent letters' in musical notation.
Mate, I can't even do algebra, and don't tell me I haven't tried. I'm fortunate enough to have the help of those prodigally talented peers, even physicists, in maths - they are among the best teachers - but I'm am the worst of all students. I once filled a notebook with high school maths by copying a textbooks applied examples to each question, but was like transcribing a court case in the sense that what was written had no bearing on my learning.
I must say I see the reverse trend: college drop-outs becoming polyglots is not unusual in my experience - that even goes for my priest.
I feel that music is the natural progression of all language learning because it simultaneously intensely exciting and extremely brief as compared to most books both, and of course there is the vocal component. It is effectively poetry with a tune: lyrical.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282896 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)11:17:17') {

'>>2282744
I'm a sick cunt who loves schadenfreude which why i asked'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2282915 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)11:33:58') {

'>>2282896
Sorry to disappoint. I have a pretty excellent life all in all.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2283164 && dateTime=='07/14/22(Thu)15:36:44') {

'>>2282915
Looking at your post I gotta say you give off a sense of sick desperation and self deprectiation, like when you described your career and achievemenrs it was pretty sad'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2283788 && dateTime=='07/15/22(Fri)06:29:10') {

'>>2283164
I’m quite content nowadays. I had a job I didn’t end up enjoying, and changed careers, that’s all. I have no real regrets about it; in hindsight it’s more funny than sad. And I still have many friends from my time in the academic trenches, they’re just not colleagues anymore.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2283805 && dateTime=='07/15/22(Fri)06:49:48') {

'>>2282785
because it is*'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2284244 && dateTime=='07/15/22(Fri)22:29:49') {

'I literally watched that episode of Futurama a couple days ago. Crazy';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2284294 && dateTime=='07/16/22(Sat)01:03:17') {

'>>2283788
But you said you never became a proffesor and where always a assistant cuck making poverty wages? How did u make peace with this? I need to know so i can make peace with myself'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2284315 && dateTime=='07/16/22(Sat)01:36:59') {

'>TFW learned more in 4 months with Anki than college students learn in a year and a half of foreign language study
Please someone explain this shit to me. Why are colleges so shit at teaching foreign language?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2284342 && dateTime=='07/16/22(Sat)03:09:54') {

'>>2284244
Yeah, and I made this thread 2 months ago.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2284344 && dateTime=='07/16/22(Sat)03:18:41') {

'>>2284315
Because self-teaching when it comes to languages is vastly superior up until the point you are close to fluency.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2284348 && dateTime=='07/16/22(Sat)03:29:45') {

'>>2284315
College classes go at the speed of either old fart professors or at speed of dumbest fuck in the class, i can literally devour an entire college textbook in 3 months exercises included'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2284382 && dateTime=='07/16/22(Sat)04:25:20') {

'>>2284348
College turns people into retards unless they are already affirmative action retards. Literally the dumbest people on the planet are white female college graduates'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2284607 && dateTime=='07/16/22(Sat)11:21:26') {

'>>2284294
> But you said you never became a proffesor and where always a assistant cuck making poverty wages?
I was an assistant professor; that’s still a professor, just a low-ranking, entry-level professor. Name notwithstanding, I wasn’t someone’s “assistant.” I had my own classes and research. The salary was bad, sure, but it was enough. It was more than I made as a grad student or fellow. I also never called myself any kind of “cuck,” because that word is beneath stupid.
>How did u make peace with this? I need to know so i can make peace with myself
Are you in academia, and trying to make peace with the fact that advancement opportunities are limited? I think most are buoyed up above the drudgery and office politics and bullshit (by no means unique to the academy, of course) by really loving their subjects. I made peace with my situation by realizing that rather than taking the promotions that were being made available to me, I should do something I enjoyed more that would let me choose where I lived.

It was a gradual decision that I was very comfortable with. I only went into academia as a sort of path of least resistance, to be honest—I was raised by teachers and school was always really easy for me, so it was just kind of an obvious, lazy choice. But I liked being a student and a grad student more than I ever liked being a prof.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2285749 && dateTime=='07/18/22(Mon)05:42:42') {

'>>2284607
>But I liked being a student and a grad student more than I ever liked being a prof.
To teach is to learn twice.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286019 && dateTime=='07/18/22(Mon)12:55:42') {

'>>2284607
Your entire career and life's path just based on what your parents told you to do like a good little cuck'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286098 && dateTime=='07/18/22(Mon)14:44:50') {

'>>2286019
>Your entire career and life's path just based on what your parents told you to do like a good little cuck
It was the first of three careers so far, and they never told me to do anything; I just modeled behavior that I had seen around me (getting lots of education) and did what was, at the time, enjoyable and easy—earned a series of degrees. Then I wound up with a doctorate that wasn’t much use apart from teaching, taught for a while, didn’t love it, quit.

You seem really determined to try and get me to feel bad about my life. I really am sorry to tell you that I am mostly a happy man.

And the “word” cuck seems to have lost all meaning almost as fast as it was coined. But do continue to throw it in at random. It’s sure to stick somewhere.

How’s your career treating you? Are you avoiding getting cucked? I sure hope so, sounds kind of scary.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286289 && dateTime=='07/18/22(Mon)19:11:52') {

'>>2286098
I am the one who cucks'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286296 && dateTime=='07/18/22(Mon)19:30:55') {

'>>2286098
In all seriousness arent you worried about being poor when you retire? I get it you had chill cushy jobs but if there wad nrver enough money how are u gonna retire?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286703 && dateTime=='07/19/22(Tue)09:00:56'  && image=='She's Right.png') {

'>>2286289
Stop devaluing words.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286730 && dateTime=='07/19/22(Tue)09:54:38') {

'>>2244810
>What language(s) are you learning?
Spanish
Does anyone know where I can stream LatAm News with accurate Spanish Subtitles online? Channels on the wiki don't appear to have subtitles.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286764 && dateTime=='07/19/22(Tue)11:13:19') {

'>>2286296
>In all seriousness arent you worried about being poor when you retire?
I am not worried about money.
>I get it you had chill cushy jobs but if there wad nrver enough money how are u gonna retire?
I left academia years ago for MUCH better-paid work in the private sector. And my wife was a corporate big-shot while I was still a misguided teacher. We are on a very well-funded expat relocation package in fucking Switzerland. I will be just fine.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286884 && dateTime=='07/19/22(Tue)13:59:38') {

'>>2286764
>depends on wife to be the provider while he fucks around

Lmao ur one divorce away from being homeless , i reccimend you get your act together oldman and stop trying to flex on 20 yos on 4chan about ur mythical polyglot skills'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286886 && dateTime=='07/19/22(Tue)14:02:55'  && image=='bowden1.jpg') {

'>the 4channel consensus is now anti-anki
i have used anki to tremendous success in my language learning experience over the past decade. I am simply going to disagree there. Writing your own physical notes and notecards are good and i prefer that, but anki can take that to a different level if you are consistent.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2286900 && dateTime=='07/19/22(Tue)14:23:51') {

'>>2286886
>4chan consensus
It's just this retard OP. Ignore.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2287329 && dateTime=='07/20/22(Wed)06:15:23') {

'>Easy
>I do not like carrots.
我不喜欢吃胡萝卜。
>Is a tomato a vegetable?
番茄是蔬菜吗?
>There are many people in that restaurant.
这间饭店人太多了。

>Medium
>I've been told that one should drink three liters of water every day.
听说每天要喝三公升水。
>During the baseball game, the man bought his daughter a hot dog.
棒球比赛的时候,男人把一个热狗买给自己的女儿吃。
>Although we have a few types of fruits in our orchard, we can't grow orange trees in this climate.
尽管我们的果园里有几个种类水果,但是在这个气候下无法种植橙树。
>Hard
>My mother was a strict Catholic, and she never cooked meat on Fridays, even though the Church abandoned that prohibition decades ago.
我的母亲做天主教徒严格认真,就算教会数十年前就放弃了相应的禁止,她还是星期五从未曾煮肉。
>The percent of Americans who are obese has increased rapidly over the past twenty years, and I find it likely that changes to American diets are to blame.
肥胖美国人的百分比在这二十年间迅速地增加,我推测原因在美国营养习惯的变化这方面上。
>People on this website make jokes about Italians' absurd rules regarding food, but their national dishes are among the most popular in the world, so maybe we should listen to what they say.
虽然这个网站上人家嘲笑意大利人荒唐的食物规矩,但是他们的民族菜肴属于世界上最受喜欢的。我么还是试试看他们说得中终究有没有道理。'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2287331 && dateTime=='07/20/22(Wed)06:18:49') {

'>>2287329
>我么还是试试看他们说得中终究有没有道理
correction: 我们还是试试看他们说得终究有没有道理'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2288053 && dateTime=='07/21/22(Thu)05:20:12'  && image=='3-30 MHz SSB.png') {

'Re-using an old challenge.

Radio-Frequency Edition:

Challenge: RF edition

Easy:
>The word 'radio' is derived from 'radius': Latin for 'ray'.
>Duplex two-way radios permit simultaneous speaking and listening as opposed to Simplex.
>Knowledge of Morse Code is mandatory for applying for an amateur radio licence.

Medium:
>High-Frequency wavelengths can only transmit via line of sight, while lower-frequencies bounce off the atmosphere for extended range.
>The difference between AM and FM is that AM modulates (changes) the amplitude while FM modulates the frequency of the Carrier Wave.
>'Crystal Radios' can operate solely on the supplied signal and without power, but their volume is quite low due to lacking an amplifier.

Hard:
>There has been and continues to be a contentious dispute over who invented the radio, be it Nikola Tesla or Guillermo Marconi, but the creative impetus that spurned on wave-technology was the development of the Cathode Ray Tube.
>The first military use of the radio was during the Ruso-Japanese war, of which it is often not credited for the Japanese naval victory at Port Arthur.
>FM radio has been completely replaced and thus superseded by Digital Audio Broadcasting and the reason claimed behind this is that it offers more efficient allocation of bandwidth otherwise unavailable with Analogue propagation - however, AM is still ubiquitous.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2289166 && dateTime=='07/22/22(Fri)16:25:41') {

'Which languages are the most impressive to normies/women?';

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2289262 && dateTime=='07/22/22(Fri)18:39:20') {

'>>2289166
Definitely Ukrainian at the moment.
To be honest, that's a stupid reason to learn an otherwise good language.
https://www.pimsleur.com/c/free-ukrainian'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2289723 && dateTime=='07/23/22(Sat)09:38:31'  && image=='Screenshot_2022-07-23-14-35-28-11_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg') {

'How many hours a day should I spend on anki?';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2289980 && dateTime=='07/23/22(Sat)16:06:02') {

'I'm studying for JLPT N3 in December. I got accepted into the MEXT scholarship program for Graduate school in Japan, so I need to be able to talk to girls and make friends with the other students. I already lived there for 4 years, but I can do better.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2290333 && dateTime=='07/24/22(Sun)02:18:50') {

'>>2289723
Minimal time; I'd even argue anything over ~30 mins is too much. Anki is best used as a tool to reinforce what you already know, not for learning new content. If you're using it as a means of studying for hours at a time, it will most likely become a huge stressor-chore and even directly counter-intuitive to your progress.

The greatest reason why many people eventually denounce Anki (myself included) is how it is so grindy long-term and dependent on pre-existing knowledge for utmost performance. Too many people will grind or speedrun premade and mining decks with thousands of cards of content they have never, or barely encountered naturally before. This is opposite to the true ethos of ideal Anki usage, and precisely why so many struggle with it. I stopped with it because I would ultimately prioritize Anki over raw engagement with the language every time, and that phenomenon is echoed in the experiences of many other users. To clarify, I don't think Anki is an absolute evil, but if you're spending hours every day with it, I'd encourage you to consider diverting more of your precious time reading raw content with a dictionary instead.
https://youtu.be/Y4eExDFTSOI
https://youtu.be/NiTsduRreug'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2290507 && dateTime=='07/24/22(Sun)06:43:11') {

'>>2290333
So you say anki is not for learning new words?
Its been my best tool so far for expanding my vocab.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2290562 && dateTime=='07/24/22(Sun)09:05:51') {

'>>2290507
>So you say anki is not for learning new words?
I'm not suggesting you absolutely cannot use it to learn words. However, grinding decks is not nearly as effective as acquiring language from comprehensible raw content sources, whether alone or in tandem. The core design of Anki is centered on the reinforcement of previously-comprehended knowledge, such as something read in a book or heard in a video. That is why you have 'reviews', and why the program concept is founded on a Spaced Repetition System.

The key difference between people who 'succeed' with a mining deck and those who don't is that they comprehend the content decently well to begin with, and are merely reinforcing it. This is already done naturally if you engage with the language frequently enough, with the exception of particularly uncommon or rare terms, in which case a utility like Anki may be of some use. People encounter shared decks and see them as saved time, but most aren't developing a connection to the words in context, and are actively encouraged to push through it as a punishing grind. This creates a source of stress and anxiety when you take it so seriously. For optimal language acquisition, stress and anxiety surrounding a language should be very low (ideally none), or engagement is impaired. Impaired engagement, frustration, boredom, and fatigue all cause direct negative impacts to concentration and memory performance, hampering learning overall. You only avoid this by using Anki as a brief refresher utility, not as a learning tool.

All the best mining 'reppers' practically speedrun their decks because they know the content well enough to begin with, and don't use it to learn. There are certainly some specific things that shared decks are suited to, but by design, when it comes to long-term recall, you are not supposed to learn from Anki, but rather 'refresh' in Anki.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2290595 && dateTime=='07/24/22(Sun)09:47:17') {

'>>2290562
In your opinion then, what would be a better way to expand vocabulary?
Just looking up words like "how do you say x word in y language" for me has always felt stiff and strange.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2290614 && dateTime=='07/24/22(Sun)10:11:58') {

'>>2290595
>In your opinion then, what would be a better way to expand vocabulary?
Consuming personally compelling raw TL content and looking up the definition of whatever term(s) you need to comprehend the message of the sentence the term is in. You should be so engaged that you almost forget you are learning. When you are invested and comprehend the general message in native context is when you'll really begin to make connections to the words. Most common words are acquired quickly due to sheer frequency (natural SRS reviews), and once you have those, everything else comes rather smoothly from context.
>Just looking up words like "how do you say x word in y language" for me has always felt stiff and strange.
I agree. The idea of looking up "how do you say..." is stiff as you suggest, and frequently misleading or outright "wrong". Sayings may differ drastically from language to language, and not be translated literally. So, it is not ideal.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2290624 && dateTime=='07/24/22(Sun)10:34:52') {

'>>2290614
>Consuming personally compelling raw TL content and looking up the definition of whatever term(s) you need to comprehend the message of the sentence the term is in
I had heard that that was ineffective. If you're constantly stopping to look up the definition of every word you see in a sentence it slows your progress no?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2290646 && dateTime=='07/24/22(Sun)10:59:26') {

'>>2290624
>If you're constantly stopping to look up the definition of every word you see in a sentence it slows your progress no?
Not really, so long as you are engaged and enjoying generally comprehensible, stimulating content. What ultimately happens is, as mentioned before, gradually understanding enough of the common terms that whatever you look up is a piece here and there between what you already know easily. People who mine in Anki do this all the time anyway when mining, the only difference being you focusing on the meaning of the message and the word within that context instead of deferring this step for reviews. So, you develop an understanding of it which is repeated whenever you see it again, if the word is referenced, something similar comes up (which reinforces that), and so on.

The YT links I posted in an earlier reply to you go over this topic. They feature Stephen Krashen, a decades-long researcher and contributor to the open discussion on the topic of second language acquisition. Here are some slightly newer vids from his (small) personal channel:
https://youtu.be/S_j4JELf8DA
https://youtu.be/9XR_fb1fv1g'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2291126 && dateTime=='07/24/22(Sun)23:43:30') {

'>>2291117
What prevents you from using your vocal chords to repeat after the audio while also looking at the reading?
Some anki decks include listening-only cards. Just use all the resources you are given. Speaking will keep you more engaged too.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2292291 && dateTime=='07/26/22(Tue)17:26:04') {

'>>2244810
bonjour'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2293167 && dateTime=='07/27/22(Wed)21:24:55') { }

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2294644 && dateTime=='07/29/22(Fri)20:49:35') {

'>>2292291
Buenos''
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2295850 && dateTime=='07/31/22(Sun)22:04:16') {

'Do you read interesting books/novels often in your TL, anons? How do you like to center yourself in the ideal mindset to acquire the language when reading?

I think I've found something interesting recently in the form of monolingual dictionaries. Of course the definitions will most likely be more accurate this way than with a bilingual dictionary, but I think explaining definitions of new words also helps set your mind closer to a zone of comprehension. That is, I think it helps you start to define and process ideas more in the language. If nothing else, it certainly gives you more vocabulary to come across...which may add to reading load, but certainly improves comprehension if you're patient. I'm currently using both monolingual and bilingual dictionaries, but I am aiming to prioritize monolingual definitions more often. I think other anons who struggle with setting themselves in the mindset for their TLs may benefit from adding monolingual dictionaries to their arsenals.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2296111 && dateTime=='08/01/22(Mon)09:21:49') {

'AUTO-CHALLENGE
DESAFÍO AUTOMÁTICO

Has language learning affected your romantic relationships?
Have romantic relationships affect your language learning?

¿Ha hecho cambios a vuestras relaciones románticas el aprender de idiomas?
¿Ha hecho cambios al aprender de idiomas vuestras relaciones románticas?
>>2295850
I use Siri as a quick dictionary when reading books (¿[Cómo se dice] X en inglés? for a quick one word translation that isn't always the best, ¿Que significa X? for what you describe, and Google Translate with voice recognition works great for whole sentences if your phone never auto-offs), but if that helps you learn, go ahead - we need more people writing dictionaries if anything.
Another thing I'll add is a technique that is extremely difficult to follow, but exponentially incremental in progression, and that is to translate every single thing in your TL: having a conversation? interpret everything as it is said; writing something [here]? write it also in your TL; listening to or reading the news in your NL? interpret it in your mind as if you were a monolingual of your TL learning your own NL. This way, you may render yourself again as a child whereby everything is new again and you are very well aware of the novelty.
Go with God.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2296113 && dateTime=='08/01/22(Mon)09:23:05'  && image=='Consecrated Host.png') {

'AUTO-CHALLENGE
DESAFÍO AUTOMÁTICO
>>2293167
Uitlizo Siri como un dicionario veloz al leer libros ([What is] X in Spanish? para una traducción veloz de una palabra que no es siempre el mejor; [What is the] definition of X? para lo que describiste; Traductor con la recognición de voz funciona muy bien para las frases enteras si tu teléfono no se apaga de manera automática), pero si aquél te ayude aprender, va adelante - necesitamos más hombres que escribir los dicionarios {de hecho/ si cualquiera}.
Otra cosa añadiré es una {arte} que es extremamente difícil seguir, pero de manera {exponenitalamente incremental} en la progresión, y la es traducir cada cosa única al TL tuyo: ¿Estás charlando? intérprete todo como se dice; ¿Estás escribiendo [aquí]? escríbalo también en tu TL; ¿Estás escuchando o leyendo las noticias? intérprete en tu mente como {si fueses] un monolingüe de tu TL que aprendese tu propia idoma. Por éso, te puedes realizar como un niño otra vez {por ser debido} todo está nuevo de nuevo y estás {muchísismo} alerto de la novelidad.
Vayas con Dios.

{se significan una duda de interpretación}'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2296173 && dateTime=='08/01/22(Mon)11:51:40') {

'>>2296113
Spanish native here, there are so many fucked up mistakes here that I'm not even going to correct this shit show'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2296405 && dateTime=='08/01/22(Mon)19:35:05') {

'>>2296173
Just highlight which words and I think I can review it myself.
It was a long day - and a long night - at the site.

Solo tengas que poner émfasis en las palabras [incorrectas] y creo que puedo revisitarlo por sí mismo.
Fue un largo día, y un larga noche, en el taller.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2296814 && dateTime=='08/02/22(Tue)10:35:14') {

'>>2289262
> Definitely Ukrainian at the moment.
To be honest, that's a stupid reason to learn an otherwise good language.
Agreed on both points; I am dabbling in Ukrainian and it’s a really interesting language—in some respects extremely conservative of ancient pan-Slavic features and a massive 19th and 20th-c modern superstratum that sometimes leans on and sometimes attempts to reverse engineer its way out of Polish and Russian influences.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2296815 && dateTime=='08/02/22(Tue)10:39:51') {

'>>2286730
>Does anyone know where I can stream LatAm News with accurate Spanish Subtitles online?
Venezuelan state TV is weird and fascinating; there are both YouTube channels and the official websites.

Also, not quite LatAm, but i24 News (Israeli cable news network) has really good Spanish-language programs with multiple subtitle options; the presenters all appear to be Jewish Argentines.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2296825 && dateTime=='08/02/22(Tue)11:02:11') {

'>>2296405
How do you still make this mistake? “Largo dia”??? Did you mean dia largo? Retard.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2297126 && dateTime=='08/02/22(Tue)20:39:07') {

'>>2296825
>Largo día
I either confused a 'defining adjective' like 'Amigo viejo - Viejo amigo' or by spending too much time in the workshop and thus seeing length as a quantity like 'uno, muchos, tres, etc.' before the noun.
>Long day
O lo confundí con un 'adjectivo definitivo' como «Amigo viejo - Viejo amigo» o por gastar tiempo en la taller, por lo tanto, ví la longitud como una cantidad como «uno, muchos, tres» antes del sustantivo.
>>2296814
>to reverse engineer its way out of Polish and Russian influences.
Sounds a bit like Icelandic or Québecois. I would have thought Polish was the most conservative because they still have Nasal Vowels which are in Old Church Slavonic.

>Para ingenerar de maner reversa fuera de las influencias de polaco y ruso.
Se suena un poco como Islandés o el francés de Québec. I salía pensado que polaco fuera el más conservativo porque aún tiene los vocales nasales que son presente en OCS.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2297259 && dateTime=='08/03/22(Wed)01:48:55') {

'>>2296825
Not him but a native speaker, largo día is also valid, retard. Learn the language before you try to teach. If you're a native, vuelve a la escuela subnormal.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2297581 && dateTime=='08/03/22(Wed)15:22:09'  && image=='346356956090845.png') {

'What is happening faggots

I am riding a bicycle from Wiesbaden to Singapore

ask me anything'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2297584 && dateTime=='08/03/22(Wed)15:27:03') {

'>>2296825
¿Con qué autoridad vienes a decir que largo día es un error? ¿Acaso nunca has leído un libro en tu puta vida?
Sí, suena un poco poético y hasta tal vez forzado pero es completamente válido.
t. native'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2297596 && dateTime=='08/03/22(Wed)15:40:20') {

'>>2296113
>>2297584 here, nevermind, this is painful to read. Are you older than 40 by any chance or are you just plain fucked in the head?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2297825 && dateTime=='08/04/22(Thu)01:22:17') {

'>>2297581
>ask me anything
Postiere Photos'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2299579 && dateTime=='08/06/22(Sat)08:27:10') {

'>>2297581
>>2297825
Schnick Schnack!'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2299617 && dateTime=='08/06/22(Sat)09:11:13') {

'>>2297581
What's your route?
You're not going through the Ukraine right now and Belarus/Russia is a bit tricky now unless you're a citizen.
Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan are still closed, so I guess you'll fly over at least one country, right?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2300843 && dateTime=='08/08/22(Mon)07:57:42') {

'>>2244810
How useful is Russian for an American? Have all the sanctions made tourism there impossible? Is its reach outside of the country still strong enough to make it worthwhile? Any particular things it's good for (e.g. tourism, business, cooming)?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2300867 && dateTime=='08/08/22(Mon)09:11:07') {

'>>2300843
It's very useful in Central Asia for all your stated purposes.
It will also help you in any of the other countries of the former USSR, no matter their views of Russia and Russians.'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2301229 && dateTime=='08/08/22(Mon)20:28:07') {

'>>2300843
That depends on your stance concerning R'-Ukraine and/ or if you have a valid security clearance.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2301348 && dateTime=='08/09/22(Tue)01:37:13') {

'>>2301229
>That depends on your stance concerning R'-Ukraine
I agree with Russia on the issue but I haven't said it publicly so I'd happily sell out for shekels, so I can go either way.
>if you have a valid security clearance.
Don't have one, but probably wouldn't have trouble getting one.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2301352 && dateTime=='08/09/22(Tue)01:42:40') {

'>>2301229
You can still study Russian without it affecting your security clearance, you're just not allowed to study in Russia.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2303092 && dateTime=='08/11/22(Thu)01:11:47') {

'>>2297581
Got to Mainz yet?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2304052 && dateTime=='08/12/22(Fri)04:35:14') {

'>>2301348
>The enemy of my enemy is my... LE FRIEND
>Cooming
>Haven't said it publicly
>Sell out for shekels
You're a coward and a hypocrite. You compromise too much; you -are- compromised. Your consistency is that of water and you haven't the slightest clue about geopolitics.
Everything is just a game for you.
>>2301352
I mean that if you had a SC, you would have more opportunities, not the inverse. I'm opposed to such arrangements, but take it all with a grain of salt.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2304685 && dateTime=='08/13/22(Sat)02:09:56') {

'>>2268637
>5. Koiné Greek and Modern Greek, or Classical Latin and Modern Italian?
Latin and Italian (probably the closest big Romance language to Latin; Sardinian is closest variety) are really far apart. So for example, Latin has a case system and a pretty free word order, while Italian (and other Romance languages) have no cases (they are caselet languages, if you will) and more fixed word orders.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2304890 && dateTime=='08/13/22(Sat)08:08:27') {

'>>2244810
Why'd you post on /trv/?

>>2249290
You should probably hang around /int/'s /lang/ threads then: >>169329302

Unless you are already doing that ... in which case, how haven't you succeeded yet? There's plenty of anons learning R*ssian there.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2304892 && dateTime=='08/13/22(Sat)08:09:57') {

'>>2259793
>and the whole world prior to post-war English
Mother of cope ...

>>2253359
German exceptionalism strikes again.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2304894 && dateTime=='08/13/22(Sat)08:11:38') {

'>>2297825
*Pfostiere

>>2301348
>I agree with Russia on the issue
Yikes.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2305077 && dateTime=='08/13/22(Sat)13:09:09') {

'learn euskera.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2305124 && dateTime=='08/13/22(Sat)14:36:52') {

'>>2304052
>You're a coward and a hypocrite. You compromise too much; you -are- compromised. Your consistency is that of water and you haven't the slightest clue about geopolitics.
>Everything is just a game for you.
Or maybe the war is none of my business so money is a bigger motivator than any of my personal thoughts and feelings on it? I don't see why you're so upset about mere self-interest, especially when it means a willingness to work for the side you support.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2305308 && dateTime=='08/13/22(Sat)19:38:57') {

'>>2305124
>Or maybe the war is none of my business
That's a completely different position from "I agree with R*ssia on the issue".'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2305665 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)04:21:08') {

'>>2305308
Well I certainly wouldn't be happy if Mexico were discriminating against Americans in their country and were openly planning on bringing in a hundred thousand Chinese soldiers right on our border. If you're not going to use your military to protect your people and your country's security, why even have a military?'
;

}

if(Australian - Español - Linguistic Theory && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2305851 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)09:07:11') {

'>>2305124
If you held the heights of power you would do no different to those you are indifferent to.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2305860 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)09:21:16') {

'>>2305665
>if Mexico were discriminating against Americans
What are you on about?

>were openly planning on bringing in a hundred thousand Chinese soldiers right on our border
Again, what the fuck are you smoking?

>If you're not going to use your military to protect your people and your country's security, why even have a military?
L M A O, you really are a vatnik, huh? I haven't seen anyone else retarded enough to call this war of aggression a protective measure.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2305886 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)09:57:42') {

'>>2305860
All the good countries are on Russias side, for moral reasons and also everyone loves a winner'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2305889 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)10:07:44') {

'>>2305886
Oh, okay, so you were just shitposting, got it.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306009 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)13:15:31') {

'>>2305860
>>2305889
This anon isn't me. >>2305886

I'm posing a hypothetical where America is facing the situation Russian was. They had a minority in Ukraine and there was an open desire to bring NATO into the country. When you're judging if a situation is rational, you obviously need to ask what you would do in that situation. Since I would be open to military solutions, I can't condemn others for taking that route without being hypocritical.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306011 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)13:17:35') {

'>>2305860
if you don't understand what he is saying then you really shouldn't give us your 2cents on the conflict. Its quite obvious to me.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306132 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)16:55:40') {

'>>2306011
None of it makes sense though given that this isn't even remotely analogous to what happened with R*ssia and Ukraine.

>>2306009
Ah, so you're simply a jingoistic retard, alrighty then. Opinion discarded.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306187 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)18:20:54'  && image=='1659750786684860.jpg') {

'I thought this was /trv/, not /pol/. Wasn't this general supposed to be for more civil, long-form discussion away from the drama? Well, that's out the window now. How disappointing.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306242 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)20:30:03') {

'>>2306187
>The вaтник screams in pain as he strikes you.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306253 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)20:55:48') {

'>>2306242
I'm not a slav, or whoever you were talking to. I'm someone who wants to discuss language acquisition and ongoings surrounding that topic, not /pol/itics. Keep your prejudiced presumptions to yourself.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306261 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)21:04:11') {

'>>2306253
Judging by that pic, you lost the debate and want people to forget about it.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306272 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)21:16:12'  && image=='1650989454117.jpg') {

'>>2306261
Again, you are making presumptions. I am not slavic, and no Slavic tongue is a TL of mine. I just like the Stalker series; I got that pic from the Stalker general in /vg/ a few weeks ago.

Is it so unusual to want people to turn off from politics and keep on-topic to the thread? I sincerely do not care about Ukraine, Russia, or any of their political or territorial disputes. Yet, everyone wants to make it the center topic in every place. Why is it so terribly unwelcome to suggest political bickerings should not be a part of this general? You have an entire containment board full of generals and littered threads for that. There can't be just one thread away from the fighting, the flamewars, the anger? Not one? Why even make a second /lang/ away from /int/ if none of you can keep the thread's topic sacred?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2306279 && dateTime=='08/14/22(Sun)21:28:30') {

'I wsnt to peru after studying Spanish for about a month, everyone is very nice here and they don’t talk to quickly. It’s really fun hearing all the the different accents and particulars.

This as a one time experience but at old school fancy restaurants do servers typically speak a little faster? It sort of sounds different than just an accent, like how a butler might talk in english but also fast?'
;

}

}
}