public void goToBottom();

}
class Thread extends Board {
public void hammock thread(OP Anonymous) {

String fullTitle = 'hammock thread';
int postNumber = 2709623;
String image = '1710708799841361.png';
String date = '03/17/24(Sun)16:53:19';
String comment = 'I am thinking of ditching my tent and matress and sleeping bag for a tarp and a hammock.
Any experiences on this?'
;

}
public void comments() {
if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709630 && dateTime=='03/17/24(Sun)17:30:28') {

'>>2709623
A few thoughts on this:
- make sure you are in a place with trees or places to set it up or you are shit out of luck (obviously)
- Unless you are doing this in the summer, you will still need a sleeping bag and either a pad or a underquilt (very expensive). Otherwise it will be cold.
- Learnt to set it up properly or you will regret it. Even then some people (like me) just sleep worse in a hammock than in a tent on the ground.
- It'll take longer to set up and pack up than a tent. If you are good at it, not much longer, but it's something to consider. Consider watching alfieaesthetics video on his loadout where he has a way he tied to tarp and hammock together to minimize setup time. I copied him and it works great.
- Be aware that you are more exposed in a hammock than in a tent. Practically speaking this makes no difference, but psychologically speaking it does feel different and some people hate that.
- If it rains, a tent is a lot nicer than a hammock and a tarp to be in.
- If the hammock doesn't have an integrated bugnet, you'll have a bad time, especially near any water.
- It's usually more windy than a tent (can be good or bad, ventilation on hot days is nice)
- Think about where you'll put your backpack. On the ground means animals and water can get to it. Hanging on a tree means usually it'll get wet if it rains, hanging it under your tarp to any of the lines will affect the angle you are lying in the hammock in. Each option has valid reasons to use or hate it
To be fair, there are upsides too, some people swear on hammocks for sleep and if you don't set up the tarp you basically have a really comfortable chair everywhere with you that takes no additional weight. Also usually tarp+hammock is smaller than a tent to pack.
Honestly with how many people love or hate hammocks, don't buy all the shit, but rather test one out from a friend or something and see if it's for you. If it is nice for you, you can buy your stuff after you know it's your thing.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709642 && dateTime=='03/17/24(Sun)18:14:29') {

'>>2709630
>Even then some people (like me) just sleep worse in a hammock than in a tent on the ground.
>It'll take longer to set up and pack up than a tent
>If it rains, a tent is a lot nicer than a hammock and a tarp to be in

I wouldn't take advice from this guy, he's obviously doing it wrong.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709673 && dateTime=='03/17/24(Sun)20:16:06'  && image=='Screenshot_20240318-111406.png') {

'idk man seems kinda pricey';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709675 && dateTime=='03/17/24(Sun)20:36:03') {

'>>2709673
What do top of the line tents and sleeping pads go for these days?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709701 && dateTime=='03/17/24(Sun)21:40:36') {

'>>2709630
>If it rains, a tent is a lot nicer than a hammock and a tarp to be in.
A tent becomes a plastic doghouse in the rain. A hammock is ultra comfy in the rain, especially if you can keep your tarp in porch mode.

>>2709673
A really nice tarp, hammock, and suspension for everything (including titanium hardware) is the same price as a tent. You can cheap out with an Amazon setup just like you can with a tent, go full cottage vendor and pay around $300 just like a tent, or blow it all on dyneema and Kevlar suspension.

The real price difference is the underquilt. A good pad is the equivalent of a down underquilt, but some like like a Thermarest Xlite is maybe $150, and the XTherm around $200. And that’s like top of the line. That’s about the starting price of a down underquilt (the JRB Shenandoah 40° is $175). They can get way up there for winter stuff.

Obviously what you need will depend on where you are. It’s a lot cheaper to augment an inflatable with a CCF pad for colder temps than it is to buy another quilt for the winter.

Also keep in mind that these quilts are all made in the US (or Europe). Very few are made in SE Asia, so you can’t take advantage of those child sweatshop prices.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709764 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)05:59:10') {

'I have a hammock in a frame in the backyard, I'll try and sleep in it and see if I like it';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709784 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)08:17:30') {

'I love hammocks so much that I got rid of my bed and replaced it with a hammock stand and now sleep in a hammock 365 days a year except when car camping in bad weather';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709788 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)08:34:56') {

'There are so many things you can do wrong and get discouraged when starting hammocking, but I haven't found a good starter guide that covers all of them.
I'm thinking of writing one up myself but that would be like a 3 post long wall of text, I don't know if it's worth it.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709790 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)08:50:38') {

'>>2709623
I made a pretty nice underquilt for 60 bucks. With handwarmers and and typhoon lining the outside, I was cozy on Saturday night.
Freezing spray, 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
You don't need to spend a bunch of money.
Look up the PLUQ'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709797 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)09:40:58') {

'>>2709788
I'm the anon who cautioned against instantly going all in with hammock camping in >>2709630 and who isn't the biggest fan of it.
Please do write up a decent guide, either host it on rentry or neo pets (or some free static site host) so you can link to it. Then also take a screenshot of the text, with the renpy link so you can just attach that image when the question comes up.
Or of you want to put more effort in make an image guide to attach easily.
A wall of text won't reach many anons, but a pastebin/rentry can.

I keep hearing anons swear on hammock camping but every time I try it I have worse sleep and comfort, and I'm still coping and hoping that I am just missing something that everyone who likes hammocks does.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709800 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)10:13:34') {

'>>2709642
Nta but it's unfair to presume that everyone sleeps better in a hammock and if you don't it's because you don't set it up right.
Agree with you on the other points'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709801 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)10:17:54') {

'>>2709623
Only makes sense in the summer when you don't need an underquilt'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709812 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)11:14:30') {

'>>2709800
>everyone
That’s true but it’s a pretty safe assumption 95% of the time. Don’t be blinded by your autism.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709824 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)12:25:49') {

'Got advised to combine hammock with a wool blanket for spring/fall and comfymaxibg. I am worried about becoming a mosquito buffet though.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709827 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)12:46:26') {

'>>2709824
Get a hammock with a net?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709835 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)13:10:39') {

'>>2709673
What even is this?
I can’t ID the brand, but thats top of the line prices for what looks like drop shipped chink stuff'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709844 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)13:37:14'  && image=='PXL_20211010_005440137.jpg') {

'>>2709630
He's half right. You will still need the sleeping bag and pad OP. Unless you're away from water in the summer. Idk exactly where you are but you get the idea. I use a hammock that I bought for like 40 bucks, and the rain tarp from a shit gander mountain tent that sits in my trunk bunched up. Plus a sleeping bag / pad.

It can be annoying to get up and piss in pitch black middle of the night. Consider stitching some kind of hole in the bottom of the hammock that you could stick your cock through and piss. Hell you could leave it hanging out as a nature's glory hole for passerby.

Or just do this. Granted, I did wake up with a slug as big as my cock crawling on my water bottle. Unsettling.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709846 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)13:43:49') {

'>>2709812
I severely doubt that 95% of the population prefers to sleep in hammocks'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709851 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)13:57:37') {

'No one asked but the length of the hammock is probably the most important factor. For years all of the cheap crap you could find online was under 10’, some barely 9’ long. They’re just too small for an adult man. You’ll be really cramped or even have your feet sort of hang over the end. 11’ is the standard, and while there are some cheap ones that are that long there are plenty that aren’t.

Extra wide hammocks don’t add much to their comfort. They’re great for lounging with two people, or maybe if your some kind of behemoth with super wide shoulders. Other than that you’ll just have a lot of extra fabric hanging from the sides.

If you have access to a sewing machine, a hammock is a great beginner project. It’s literally a rectangle of cloth and some rope.

Hammocks are only for single people, but this 4Chan so we’re all virgins here.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709852 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)14:00:23') {

'>>2709846
*Over a sleeping pad on the ground.
**Having been given a correctly set up hammock to try.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709861 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)14:35:51') {

'>>2709835
altongoods.com'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709865 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)14:50:08') {

'I recently switched to hammock camping. My experiences are exclusive to the US East Coast, mostly around the mid-Atlantic
>hammocking is super comfy and amazing if you're an active or side sleeper.
>First-time hammock shopping is a total nightmare because of how many options there are. Don't expect a buy-once, cry-once option. You'll probably find something you like better as you get more experienced. You should start with a gathered-hammock with a light but still reasonably durable fabric and an integrated ridgeline. Use a cinch buckle / poly strap suspension. It's heavier than other options but also cheaper and retard proof
>experienced hammock shopping is amazing because you have so many options. You can switch out tarps / suspensions / fabric types / etc. as your environment and needs change. You may decide you're cool with a bit more fiddle factor to save weight (Whoopie sling / marlinspike hitch, Beckett hitch) or will stay with poly cinch buckles
>hammocking is a godsend for much of the east coast where it's very difficult to find good tent sites outside of designated areas. It's much easier to find decently spaced trees without too much underbrush than it is to find a plot of flat-enough ground without too many rocks while also being in an okay location
>however, hammocks are infinitely more fiddly. You'll get better at it but it can take a lot of time to get the hang, suspension tension, underquilt fit, and tarp positioning right. If you hate fiddling, you'll probably hate hammocking. Fiddling failures will lead to uncomfortable sleep or a wet night
>if you get into hammocking, you're also getting into tarp camping. Make sure you can identify a prevailing wind direction. Getting it wrong will lead to a cold night
>a good hammock system is probably going to be heavier than a comparably priced trekking pole setup at most price points, but not horrendously so and it can end up being a wash if you get a DCF tarp and super light hammock fabric.
1/2'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709866 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)14:55:09') {

'>>2709865
2/2

As >>2709630 said, borrow a setup if you can. If you decide you want to take the plunge, avoid ENO or other cheap brands since they skimp on length, materials, and features that help create a good hang. Look for an 11ft length, integrated ridgeline, integrated bugnet, and a tarp snakeskin to match (they make centering and deploying the tarp so much easier for next to no weight). Some good options to look at
>Warbonnet (my choice. Their underquilt are retard proof if paired with their hammocks)
>Simply Light Designs (the guy who runs the business does amazing work and gives you cute little handwritten cards with your order)
>Dream Hammock
>Dutchware (retarded naming conventions but interesting stuff)
>Hammock Gear (but wait for their many 20-30% off sales)'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709886 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)15:37:25') {

'>>2709852
yes, even with your goalpost moving I still doubt that 95% would prefer a hammock'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709895 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)15:56:06') {

'>>2709886
Ok.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709902 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)16:18:10') {

'I'll borrow some stuff try some minimal setup and post results this weekend.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709905 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)16:26:21') {

'>>2709673
In scouts we made our own out of super cheap tarp and rope. Maybe $30 tops for the whole thing.
Not ultralight but those people are autistic anyway.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709947 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)18:54:55') {

'>>2709886
He didn’t move goalposts, Anon. It’s implied that we’re talking about a hammock vs sleeping in a tent, not a Tempur Luxbreeze. And obviously the hammock has to be set up correctly. I love my hammock but would absolutely prefer a tent over my hammock being set up incorrectly.

Again, please keep your autism in check.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709951 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:04:23'  && image=='IMG_20210621_194032.jpg') {

'>>2709788
>>2709797
I don't claim to be an expert but I have camped with a hammock for a few years now and I can fall asleep in one in minutes and sleep for 10 hours without stirring once, so it obviously works for me. I also slept through several thunderstorms with this setup so for me the weather protection is adequate.

The hammock:
The most important aspect is the size. For a grown man (180 cm) you want it to be at least 320 cm long, the longer the better. Width is not negligible - up to a point, it increases comfort by letting you lie more diagonally (in case it's not obvious, this is how you lie in any hammock - diagonally, not straight). Anything below 150 cm should be discarded. My 2 favorite hammocks are 350x150 and 320x180 and there is not much comfort difference between them. The other overlooked quality is the stretchiness of the material, you want there to be none. If the hammock stretches, it will feel like it's squeezing and constricting you, especially in the shoulders. Manufacturers don't measure this in any way so you might have to get lucky there. I assume the established brands have this figured out, but smaller home workshops might be hit or miss. The good ones I have are made of ripstop nylon (I don't know if the ripstop part is important but I have another nylon one that is stretchy garbage) and the other one is just labeled polyamide.
A structural ridgeline is pretty much mandatory - it ensures your hammock sags the same way every time you hang it. Look up what the recommended length is for your hammock size, but feel free to experiment as it's only a guideline. Despite what some people claim, your hammock ridgeline is load-bearing so be sure to make it out of something that can actually take your weight. You should probably just buy 20 meters of 3mm dyneema (Amsteel in the US) - with a piece of wire and some youtube tutorials you can make your own adjustable ridgeline, continuous loops and whoopie slings to save a ton of money and weight.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709952 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:05:28'  && image=='IMG_20230714_061929.jpg') {

'>>2709951
The shelter:
Not much to say here, your options are basically "a tarp". Most common setups are 3x4m parallel to the hammock (3x3 set this way is too short to cover a full sized hammock), a 3x3 tarp set up diagonally or a hex tarp. I've always used a 3x3 tarp so I don't have much to say about the others. It only requires 2 tieouts, is over 4.2 meters long diagonally, gives you a wide field of view and is easy to get in and out of. I don't need wind protection from my tarp as I'll explain later. PU covered tarps will be heavier and cheaper, they also tend to rustle more in the wind. Silnylon is the reasonably priced standard. A 3x3 silnylon tarp will be about 500 grams, you can't really get lighter without losing surface or going with dyneema (extremely expensive and light, but bulkier). I got mine from aliexpress several years ago and it performs flawlessly to this day, maybe the material stretched a bit as I can't seem to hang it tightly, but this never affected its function. I like the idea of a hex tarp but haven't found one long enough to give my 3.5m hammock enough coverage. Oh, and a proper tarp will have webbing tieouts reinforced with extra material. Ignore anything with metal grommets through the fabric.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709954 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:07:03'  && image=='IMG_20230611_095447.jpg') {

'>>2709952
The lower insulation:
Options here are an underquilt and a sleeping pad inside the hammock. There are two-layer hammocks meant to put the pad between the layers but they're twice as heavy and kind of pointless. I have not tried a foam pad but an inflatable pad in the hammock is not that much worse than an underquilt. I personally never had issues with it slipping out from under me. Just don't pump it rigid, it needs to be able to conform to the shape of the hammock. Only problem I found is that they don't breathe at all (obviously) and after colder nights I found myself lying in a literal puddle of water from condensation. Underquilts are self-explanatory. Down ones will be more expensive, smaller, lighter and pack easier than synthetic. One overlooked piece of gear is the underquilt protector. They're meant to cover your underquilt from splashing water or mud, but the most important quality is that they're windproof. That's why I said I don't need my tarp to stop the wind, the protector takes care of that. Really it's just another hammock that you loosely hang with shock cord under your underquilt and that keeps all the air you warmed up with your body heat. I got mine from Dutchware, it packs up smaller than a fist and weighs next to nothing for a huge boost in comfort. You can always make one yourself if you have access to an appropriate material. Mine feels like those superlight cycling wind jackets.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709955 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:08:32'  && image=='IMG_20210911_182823.jpg') {

'>>2709954
Top insulation:
Quilt or a sleeping bag. If you go with a sleeping bag, it's better to have it unzipped and just tuck the edges between yourself and the hammock. Disclaimer - I only tested this with an underquilt, I don't know how well it works with a sleeping pad. In case you need to zip up your sleeping pad - have a piece of ground sheet or your sitting pad next to the hammock. Step into your sleeping bag while standing on it, zip up, sit in the hammock and then lie down. Beats doing the caterpillar inside the hammock.

Bug protection:
I think the only viable (comfort wise) options are an integrated bug net (lighter), or an external one (heavier but more versatile and comfortable). With an integrated bugnet, you still need protection from the bottom or you will get bitten through the hammock. Usually that's the underquilt but if it's really hot then it doesn't feel all that good. I pay the weight penalty for a full-sized external net that reaches all the way to the ground for a variety of reasons - I can stick my feet or hands out of the hammock, I can use it as a chair, my underside is protected even without the underquilt and finally I can roll up the hammock and sit on the ground under the net to prepare food. I camped in places where mosquitoes were absolutely deadly and I had no option to go somewhere else.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709957 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:09:48'  && image=='ULTS_1_of_4.jpg') {

'>>2709955
The suspension:
First step, most of the time, is throwing away whatever suspension came with your hammock and getting a real one. You can use tree straps with knots, tree straps with buckles, straps with daisy chains or tree huggers with whoopie slings. Google all of that, all of them work, some will be heavier or lighter, easier or more fiddly to use. One important thing is to have webbing or some sort of flat ribbon going around the tree to not damage the bark. Another thing is to have a carabiner or some other piece of hardware to act as a breaker between your suspension and the continuous loop of your hammock. If it's raining, water should drip from the carabiner before reaching your hammock and soaking into the fabric. Another reason is that you don't want to pack your wet suspension together with your hammock. If using carabiners, get the aluminum climbing ones instead of the heavy steel shit they give with most cheap hammocks. Dutchware whoopie hooks are great if you use whoopie slings. With tree huggers you want the shortest ones that will fully wrap around the widest tree you expect to hang from.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709958 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:11:01'  && image=='351644P25_L.jpg') {

'>>2709957
The setup:
This is just how I do it with my gear. If I have any insights about other systems I will include them, but mostly it's going to be specific to my stuff.
First I find 2 trees at a correct distance, with flat clear ground between them if possible. I measured beforehand how much distance my tarp and my hammock with the suspension need, in my case it's between 6 and 8 steps. Assuming it's not raining, I start with the suspension. Wrap as much of the tree hugger around the tree as possible, then feed the remaining suspension through the loop (I keep my whoopie slings semi-permanently attached to one end of the tree hugger and use a Dutch whoopie hook to connect to the hammock). You want the loop to be on the side of the tree where the suspesion goes towards your hammock - you don't want to pull on the loop or create a bend in the webbing. There is no need to tighten it, the friction on the bark will keep it in place. With tree straps you only need 1 wrap. Attach the hammock and adjust your suspension. The correct suspension angle is 30 degrees, which you can eyeball by making a finger gun and looking at the slope between the tips of your thumb and index finger. You want the foot end to be significantly higher than your head end, the reason being that
your center of gravity will slide to the bottom of the hammock anyway. But while your head and shoulders can be comfortable almost all the way up to the gathered end, your knees and feet will appreciate any amount of loose fabric you can allot on their side. While you're in the hammock, the ridgeline shouldn't be too tight, you should be able to bend it with your fingers, but it shouldn't hang loose. Either of those means the suspension is either too flat or too steep, you can adjust by moving it up or down the tree and shortening/loosening it.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709959 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:12:22'  && image=='last night's storm.jpg') {

'>>2709958
The setup pt 2:
My underquilt and underquilt protector are pre-adjusted and clipped together with mini carabiners, so all I have to do is clip them onto the continuous loops of my hammock and they're ready to use.
For the tarp, I use a continuous ridgeline that goes UNDER the tarp, the main reason is that it gives a bit more structural support than the tarp just hanging by the tieouts and I can hang clothes to dry under the tarp. I used carabiners, camjams and knots to mount the ridgeline, finally I settled on toggles (google tactical toggle ridgeline), they're small and light, allow you to easily attach both ends and tension the line, and don't require you to tie any knots. I use prusiks (I leave them on the ridgeline) and mini carabiners to quickly attach the tarp and center it over the hammock. I have pieces of string I use as drip lines near the ends of the tarp in case water ever travels along the ridgeline, but I've never seen it happen. Only thing left is to stake out the 2 corners and it's good to go. Since I don't need it for the wind, only rain, I like to hang the tarp rather high and flat, so that I can stand under it comfortably and it doesn't obscure the view from the hammock. If there's no rain on the forecast, I will stake out only one side and lay the other half on top of it. If the sky is absolutely clear, I will only hang the ridgeline (you never know) and leave the tarp in the bag. If you're expecting storms or high wind you can hang it closer to the ground and use additional guylines.
That's basically it, I like to have some bags and organizers hanging from my hammock ridgeline to store small items. You can hang your backpack on one end of the hammock, it will look weird when empty but once you lie in it it shouldn't affect your position as you're much heavier. Or you can take out the heaviest item and hang it on the other side for balance.

That is all.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709960 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:27:34') {

'>>2709947
OK, goalposts remaining where they originally were, there's no way in hell ninety-five percent of the population prefers sleeping in a hammock.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709964 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:46:11') {

'>>2709960
>OK, goalposts remaining where they originally were, there's no way in hell ninety-five percent of the population prefers sleeping in a hammock.
compared to what?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709965 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:48:10') {

'>>2709623
yes, 2024 is the year of the hammock for me. i'd used a shitty amazon tarp for years. so that gets an upgrade too. having researched a lot and practiced a few times since my first /out/ing for the eclipse, some quick notes
>convenience matters. high-end hammock gear is already expensive enough that spending another $50-100 on some titanium bling (dutch hook + wasp for ridgeline, ringworms or flea stakes) is fine. also, those mesh tarp sleeve things, it's like $20. pull back the foreskin and your tarp is deployed
>you're forced to semi-DIY. expect to spend some time pre-fixing various knots to certain things, even with hardware. i grew up sailing so it's not a big deal, but you should know some basic knots: slipped becket hitch, bowline, 2 half hitches, figure 8, square knot, prusik knot, lark's head. all these knots are very easy
>make sure the tarp can move. part of pre-rigging the tie-outs means you wanna have some shock cord in the mix. it can be as simple as a loop of shock cord attached to the corners, you just want some give so a gust of wind doesn't cuck your $250 tarp

>>2709673
my bill of materials is like this (all top of the line or close to it). thank god for christmas
>warbonnet XLC + becket suspension: $245
>warbonnet superfly tarp: $150 (dutch dyneema tarp is better but like $400)
>warbonnet wooki underquilt 20F with storage bag: $275
>enlightened equipment topquilt: $365
>tarp ridgeline + soft shackles + dutch hook + dutch wasp: $38
>titanium stakes + tarkticks: $86 (should've bought dutchware flea stakes desu)
>misc materials like shock cord, guyline, mitten hooks, etc: $65
>misc niceties like snakeskin, ridgeline organizer: $40 or so'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709967 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:53:31') {

'>>2709951
>>2709959
Thank you for the detailed writeup anon. I'm saving it for next time I'll try some hammock camping so I can check I got it all right.

Immediately while reading a few things are interesting that I hadn't considered before, my Ridgeline is a diy solution made of 550 parachord rather than dyneema, which will have more stretch as a result (though still not too much). Food for thought I guess. My hammock is a decent 350x220x140 so that should be fine for me (184 cm tall). If you don't mind me asking, what tarp did you get on Ali? Their flames creed one looked decent, I just want some reinforcement around the attachment points ideally and some of the cheap ones don't seem to have that.
The under quilt protector is an interesting idea. I only hammock camped on the summer so far, so no need for one yet, but it's good to have that in mind. I usually just use my sleeping bag (a square one that unzips into a blanket) and no insulation underneath, but I do sleep warm usually. If somehow your advice makes the difference and I notice I love hammock camping suddenly, chances are this thread won't be up anymore, so thank you already for taking the time.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709968 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)19:55:56') {

'>>2709630
based, i basically mentioned some things you didn't. i personally hate sleeping on the ground, partly cuz i had no real sleep system, but the first time i practiced with the hammock, it was ultra comfy. so much so that i worried about falling asleep in the park and finding out that future doctors and lawyers had stolen all my shit

>>2709865
>>2709866
based, i'm coming from the east coast as well (new england). to be honest, i wish i did more research and practice before buying what i "thought" i needed. i've since decided that a continuous ridgeline with dutch hardware is the simplest and easiest setup, so now i have a couple of these now-useless loopalien things that cost $9 ea. also, while tying warbonnet tarpticks to their titanium stakes works fine, the dutch flea stakes are 1 solid piece and cost like $0.25 less each. though i will say that a ridgeline organizer and a tarp condom were very wise purchases, especially cuz i wear glasses and am always afraid of breaking them while /out/'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709971 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)20:02:04') {

'>>2709964
Compared to on a sleeping pad in a tent. Aren't you following the thread?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709973 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)20:03:38'  && image=='FLAME-S-CREED-15D_jpg_92.jpg') {

'>>2709967
Mine is branded 3F UL Gear but looking at the pictures, it might be exactly the same product. The guylines, pullouts and the material look identical. My carry bag even has the same blue string.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2709996 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)20:58:50') {

'>>2709971
I'm sure they do (or would if they tried), they just choose a tent due to other factors than comfort.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710004 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)21:46:02') {

'>>2709973
Yeah 3FUL and flames creed are (to my knowledge) the same products, except flames creed is usually a little cheaper but less reputable, so you have to inspect it more for bad QA when it arrives. It's probably by the same factory even, so even closer in quality as the naturehike/widesea combo that often has similar products.
Flames creed also makes lanshans which are by 3ful originally etc. so I might get one of those to save a few bucks. Made great experiences with 3ful personally, their backpack is pretty nice.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710008 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)22:15:21'  && image=='308DAD34-93FB-4B9F-A073-DCBB623E00C1.jpg') {

'My homemade tarp. It’s similar to a Warbonnet Thunderfly, but with added tie outs on the sides and a 3” catenary cut. It’s 0.9oz Membrane SilPoly. Weighs around 12oz. The beaks are really nice. In the pic one corner was propped up with a stick (no trekking poles for this trip) but I pulled the sides a little closer and lower before going to sleep. It ended up storming, which woke me up around 3:30 in the morning.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710016 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)23:29:35') {

'>>2709784
This is unironically based. If I still lived on a tugboat I would do this.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710019 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)23:45:16') {

'>>2709996
Nta but ffs just admit that you exaggerated instead of trying to retroactively legitimize your claim lmao get over yourself'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710020 && dateTime=='03/18/24(Mon)23:45:24') {

'>>2709967
With that kind of sleeping bag, you can unzip just the one at your feet, then secure the tube completely over the hammock. I've done that and it works as a jank TQ/UQ. Just a thought.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710069 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)04:48:38') {

'>>2710019
nah everyone I know thinks hammocks are more comfy, not a single person has said gee I really wish I was on a thin piece of foam or an inflated pad that will deflate on me overnight instead of this comfy hammock'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710070 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)05:13:30') {

'>I know! let me be a retard in sausage casing!
>let me go through hell to setup and tension everything when I'm tired just so I can hang like a MRE for bears with limited sleeping positions
>sooo much better than sleeping on the ground! Haha I'm so quirky and unique!?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710072 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)05:46:42') {

'>>2710069
>t. doesn't know anyone, has never used a sleeping mat'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710084 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)07:30:53') {

'So does a tent make you a retard ravioli? Do you put a lil bow on top so the bear feels extra special unwrapping you? I typically don't sleep on the ground ever, so unless you do, that would be the quirky situation.

P.S. no (you) for your bait'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710132 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)11:39:24') {

'I'm so smart for sleeping on the wet ground. No bear would think to look for me here.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710177 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)15:00:12') {

'for belly sleepers: INTO THE TRASH IT GOES';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710178 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)15:05:56'  && image=='huge-brown-bear-885782.jpg') {

'>Meanwhile, in bear country';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710239 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)19:20:15'  && image=='gsbdfxvleyl71.jpg') {

'Has anyone ever had their hammock fail catastrophically?
For every other essential piece of gear I have something that can work as a substitute in a pinch, and I can source a replacement in any small town. If my hammock goes, I'm completely unable to camp and I have to seek out a specialist store and they'll probably only have shitty small ones Or order online and wait for it. I'm seriously considering carrying a spare just in case.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710243 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)19:28:37') {

'>>2710239
I just had a thought after posting this, I wonder if I could walk into a seamstress's workshop and ask to make me one on the spot, it's only a rectangle with 4 seams after all. Or maybe have mine repaired.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710326 && dateTime=='03/19/24(Tue)23:55:45') {

'>>2710239
I had one fail like this once. I was using a really heavily used, worn out single layer eno that had some pinholes in the fabric. I rolled over in my sleep and my elbow caught in one and ripped the whole thing open. In other words it was entirely preventable by just not being a retard and using appropriate equipment in appropriate condition.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710328 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)00:04:36') {

'alright /out/ists, is it pronounced
>ham-ick
or
>ham-ock
or
>ham-uck

I'm from minnesota and have always said ham-ick, though my sister who's spent the last four years in fargo says ham-ock. I was arguing with her the other day about this which is prompting this question here.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710333 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)00:45:21'  && image=='offset_139421.jpg') {

'>>2710328
Hamm-ACK'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710337 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)01:03:51') {

'>>2710328
>is it pronounced
yes'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710353 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)02:03:15') {

'If I can't fuck in it, I'm not interested. sorry hammock-cels';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710374 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)04:12:30') {

'>>2710353
You can.
Well not you, but in general it's possible.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710393 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)04:57:03'  && image=='1492078917107.jpg') {

'>>2709967
>My hammock is a decent 350x220x140
It has 3 dimensions?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710402 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)07:16:13') {

'>>2710239
This is often caused by hanging the hammock too tightly.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710473 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)13:02:24'  && image=='PXL_20240217_144254650.jpg') {

'>>2709965
alternate list for cheap retards like me (have taken this winter camping at -5 to 25F, need clothes)

>eno doublenest $75
>some kind of eno tarp $75
>helios straps $35
>20F kelty bag like $100
>old rei pad ???
>amazon DD Hammocks Underblanket $100'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710492 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)13:45:55') {

'>>2710473
If you have access to DD Hammocks products, their Chill Out hammock is great. Bound to be better than the ENO one which isn't even 3m long.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710509 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)15:23:00'  && image=='Photo.jpg') {

'>>2710393
It describes them that way on the bag. The 220 is the fabric portion, while 350 is fabric +string to the attachment points is my guess. I've never really thought much about it desu.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710511 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)15:27:47') {

'>>2710509
Looking at the schematic above the dimensions I'm gonna go and guess that 350 is the total length of the fabric, 220 is the "usable" length and 140 is the width. A bit on the narrow side and that might be why you can't get really comfortable in it.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710523 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)16:24:54') {

'>>2710473
An 11’ netless hammock from Dutchware is $55. TBDesu I’d just pay $125 and get a half zipped.

The Eno tarp will most likely be too small to accommodate anything larger than an Eno hammock. The ProFly is 10’ 6”. Wise Owl is the true poorfags choice. It’s an 11x9 cat cut hex, and people swear by it (after seam sealing). It’s $23 on Amazon. Onewind is another poorfag option (though I don’t know much about it)

A quick glance shows cheaper suspension as well. $10 for daisy chains or $15 for cinch buckles.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710626 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)20:39:44') {

'>>2710511
Interesting, from my understanding a hammock lacking in width could put pressure on your shoulders, but my issue has always been my back in the morning. I'll probably do a test overnight run with my hammock trying out the guide by that one anon and paying more attention where specifically my issues lie in a few weeks. In the end it might just be that it's not for me, but with all the advice by different anons I feel like it's at least deserving of another try.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710651 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)21:55:00'  && image=='IMG_3813.jpg') {

'>>2709861
Okay, that doesn’t look too bad, and it’s pretty close in pricing to US cottage companies.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710663 && dateTime=='03/20/24(Wed)23:05:07') {

'>>2710473

this is a retarded poorfag gear setup. you're spending almost $200 for a fucking eno when the same money could just buy a hennessy. what are you thinking?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2710935 && dateTime=='03/21/24(Thu)16:11:53') {

'>>2710663
using what I already have and what works :)'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2711074 && dateTime=='03/22/24(Fri)01:37:14') {

'Surely there are some decent hammock/bivvy combos that negate the rain problem and you only need a tarp if it does rain.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2711098 && dateTime=='03/22/24(Fri)05:19:58'  && image=='7.jpg') {

'>>2711074
You can use a hammock with an integrated mesh as a bivy against bugs and carry an enclosed tarp. The only problem left is water flowing under you but you can carry a ground sheet for that.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2711606 && dateTime=='03/23/24(Sat)16:33:26'  && image=='outing.jpg') {

'So as a prime retard, beginner and poorfag I actually did it and went out.
I got some hand me down hammock, a 20$ amazon tarp and some very thin wool blanket I inherited and just hit it.

Went out friday night at like 19:00, hit the forest when it was already pitch black and it has been raining for the past 6 hours. I walked till I was a good distance from the next sitting water and started looking for some trees. The first set that seemed fitting was just a little to far apart so I had to search for 10 more minutes until I found a suitable place in the pitch black. I set the tarp up like the complete retard that I am and then hung the hammock und it.
I have to say it was top comfy with no root, sticks and stones in my back and even though it was only 7°C it wasn't really cold with the wool blanket. The one thing that bothered me is that I couldn't really put off my boots because there was no where to secure them and I had to put my backpack on the moist forest ground.

Top for stealth camping and if you don't want to carry a lot of stuff and it is easier to find a decent spot for than for a tent. I will definetly use it more in spring and summer I am yet not sure how I feel about wool blankets.

What is a good knot to fix the hammock that will prevent it from slipping but can be opened up again once you are done? The knot got so tight and it was so soaked with water that I had to cut it open.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2711713 && dateTime=='03/23/24(Sat)19:44:31'  && image=='girth-hitch-knot.jpg') {

'>>2711606
You can just tie your boots together and hang them from your hammock suspension >>2709952

Also you're not damaging the trees by tying regular rope to them, are you?
Get some plain tree straps (it should just be a long piece of webbing with a loop on one end, no daisy chains or anything) or even some webbing by the yard and tie a loop on the end yourself. Put a pair of carabiners at the ends of your hammock. Strap goes around the tree, through its loop, then you make a girth hitch on it and attach the carabiner. It's adjustable and easy to tie and take down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRC4AhqYMOc'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712017 && dateTime=='03/24/24(Sun)12:20:17') {

'I need some advice regarding suspension and ridgelines anons.
I used to hang my hammock as well as my tarp with parachord (the normal 550 kind). It didn't have a ridgeline nor did I use one.
Now I want to add a structural ridgeline to my hammock and have read that parachord is bad for that, same for the tarp setup, because it's too stretchy, so people suggest "Zing-It!" or "Lash-It" or amsteel/dyneema rope.
My issue is I am a europoor, so zing-it/lash-it doesn't seem like something we have here. I found some american websites that would ship it to the EU but I'd have to pay 60$ just for shipping and they explicitly state any import issues are mine to handle, so that's not an option.
I had a look on local amazon and found 2mm Dyneema Rope, with a 410 daN breaking load and <1% working elongation for 16€/20 meters.
However I heard dyneema rope was too slippery for prusik knots which confused me again.

I want to use it as rope for a structural ridgeline, suspension (so between hammock and tree hugger) and for the tarp (both ridgeline and stakes). Confounding issue is that I am a obese lardass and weigh 120 kgs (265lbs) (yeah I know, I'm working on it), so it'll have to hold a lot of weight.
Would that dyneema rope be a good idea to order? Could I tie a structural ridgeline with a prusik to have the distance adjustable? Or will it not work because dyneema doesn't have as much friction as normal cordage? If not, what should I get instead that I can actually buy in europe?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712028 && dateTime=='03/24/24(Sun)13:07:44') {

'>>2712017

find a store that specializes in rock climbing equipment. they'll usually have various types of static cord available by the foot, or at least coils of appropriate stuff.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712069 && dateTime=='03/24/24(Sun)14:07:48'  && image=='1O3R_5H_8B_J6E7R__W_B.jpg') {

'>>2712017
I'd go with 3mm dyneema for hammock suspension, just for peace of mind. The weight and bulk difference is negligible, it's easier to splice and I believe most hammock hardware is made with it in mind.
>Could I tie a structural ridgeline with a prusik to have the distance adjustable?
You don't tie dyneema, you splice it. Look up "adjustable ridgeline" on youtube and there should be heaps of tutorials.

For the tarp you don't need (or possibly even want) dyneema since it doesn't stretch at all. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I never managed to pull a dyneema ridgeline tight enough so that it doesn't hang loose a few minutes later.
After years of trial and error I ended up with 2.4mm 275 paracord for the ridgeline and some 2mm reflective cord for the guylines. I experimented with 1.1mm microcord but that thing is a pain to tie and untie, plus I realized I actually want to see my guylines when walking around the camp in the twilight.
There's also polyester covered dyneema that will take normal knots but I hated it. It's stiff almost like a wire and it loves to tangle itself and create bends and loops in the cord.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712102 && dateTime=='03/24/24(Sun)16:22:16') {

'>>2712028
I'll have to look but I don't think there's a good store where I live. There's a decathlon and a few other general outdoor stores here, but they seem to either have actual rock climbing rope (6mm+ diameters) which is overkill, or stuff out of material that seems to have more stretch (polyester mostly).
>>2712069
That's some great advice anon. I'm so used to knots that I haven't looked into splicing, I did come across people talking about whoopie slings but didn't look into it and assumed that was for people who cared about aesthetics too much, my bad I guess.
Any real reason for the 3mm? Would that make the splicing easier too? I just saw 410 daN (kg) and assumed that was enough. I might be a fatass, but I'm not a 300 kg fatass (I'm aware that those 410 kgs are a static number and in practical use less weight can cause rips).
The 3mm costs me 0,36 CT more per meter so it's not like the cost would be the issue, I was just wondering why.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712149 && dateTime=='03/24/24(Sun)18:12:05') {

'>>2712102
I believe the stated weight limits on dyneema are static loads, so if you toss and turn too much or sit down in your hammock too energetically, you could possibly exceed them. Any knots and bends in the fibers reduce the strength of the rope, I'm not sure about splicing.
And I checked my orders and apparently I'm using a 2.5 mm line, not 3, with a stated breaking point of 740 kg.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712239 && dateTime=='03/24/24(Sun)22:34:38') {

'>>2712069
>For the tarp you don't need (or possibly even want) dyneema since it doesn't stretch at all. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I never managed to pull a dyneema ridgeline tight enough so that it doesn't hang loose a few minutes later.
Yes you are absolutely doing something wrong. Every cottage vendor in the US is selling polyester tarps with dynema line, which is literally the most rigid setup possible.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712255 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)00:14:34') {

'>>2712149
>>2712069
I got myself some 3mm dyneema line in the mail now, as you said I doubt the weight will make much of a difference and while they had 2.5 mm, that didn't include shipping so it came out to the same price as the 3mm anyways.

2 more questions since googling for hammock stuff like this isn't nearly as easy as I thought it was:
Apparently people add beads into their whoopie slings to avoid pulling them too far. Are those beads load bearing? Material seems to range from people using drilled out Lego heads to titanium beads. I want something that doesn't rust, but should a bead be plastic? Stainless? Wood? What do you use?
And secondly, is there like some basic resource on well known ways to work with dyneema rope via splicing? Like "If you want to create a loop, these are your options. If you want an adjustable end, these are your options" I know about whoopie slings now, but when I look at something like an adjustable structural Ridgeline I'm not sure how to do it so I don't have a lot of rope hanging everywhere.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712323 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)05:37:17'  && image=='EASY-ridgeline-hammock.jpg') {

'>>2712255
The beads are there only so you don't pull the loop completely into the rope. I personally use Dutch's whoopie hooks instead of the beads so that I don't need carabiners to connect my hammock to the suspension, but I had to import them from the US.
For a simple adjustable ridgeline you can just use a whoopie sling (guides for those seem to be easier to find than ridgelines, just be sure to make one long enough) and add some basic clips or buckles to keep the tail from hanging loose. Just a though, normal whoopie slings tend to make the non-adjustable part as short as possible, but you can make one that's like 2m long and with a shorter loop at the end to let you adjust from 2 to 3 or how much you think you might need.

Basic splicing resource (you don't need the dedicated tools, you can use a piece of wire bent double and an old pen): https://www.youtube.com/@Premiumropes/playlists

https://www.youtube.com/@jeffmyers7062 makes some nifty things out of dyneema but a lot of his designs are overengineered solutions in search of a problem.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712324 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)05:42:40') {

'>>2712239
>which is literally the most rigid setup possible.
And why would I want that?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712329 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)06:06:51') {

'>>2712324
>everyone is wrong except me
A rigid shelter is much better in the wind and rain, when you actually need a shelter. It’s less likely to sag and won’t flap around.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712332 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)06:24:02') {

'>>2712329
Yes that's why you see people adding shock cord to their guylines. Assuming you use silnylon and not DCF, the tarp itself will stretch and sag slightly and some elasticity in the mounting lines can take the slack out.
And for me a dyneema ridgeline sags MORE than paracord, I'm open to suggestions on how to mount it so that it stays tight.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712337 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)06:50:35') {

'>>2712332
Stop trying to tie knots in exceedingly slippery line and use hardware like everyone else. Knockoff loop aliens can be found on AliExpress for like $1 (€0,92). The only reason small dynema line became popular as a tarp suspension is because of hardware options.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712338 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)07:03:15') {

'>>2712337
I already have the hardware to pull it tight as a string and tie it off, the problem is it becomes loose after a few minutes, especially if I lie in the hammock and the trees aren't super thick.
Looking at people's setups they always seem to have some sag in their ridgelines, I just prefer a stretchy cord that can keep tension even if the trees are pulled together slightly.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712346 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)07:58:22') {

'>>2712323
Thanks for all the advice and resources anon.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712426 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)11:59:50') {

'>>2712338
That downward curve isn’t sag. You can see my homemade tarp earlier in the thread: >>2710008
The ridgline is banjo string tight. It dips down when the sides are pulled toward the ground and staked. That’s a polyester tarp with dynema lines and loop aliens.

If the trees are moving and fucking with your tarp then you’ve chosen a bad spot (skill issue).'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712466 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)13:44:29') {

'>>2712426
>That downward curve isn’t sag.
Yes it is.
>You can see my
No I can't, that pic is fucking terrible, did you scale it in mspaint?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712470 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)13:50:09') {

'>>2712466
>that’s sag
You are retarded.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712471 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)13:51:17') {

'>>2712470
No you.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712483 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)14:13:05') {

'>>2712466
NTA but that isn't sag. I get the exact same thing on my tarp ridgeline when the entire thing is super taut. I don't know the exact reason but it's probably a function of how it's cut. I've had it set up like that in serious winds and had no problem. You're good to go if that's the "sag" you're dealing with. It would only be an issue if your tarp was flapping in the wind excessively or was allowing water to pool or flow into unintended places.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712498 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)14:43:06'  && image=='F4126995-337E-4E9F-B227-C00C789CE160.jpg') {

'>>2712483
>cut
Ridgeline ends on hammock tarps are almost always flat. Catenary cuts are along the short ends. Another pic of the tarp I made, right after sewing, before it was seam sealed.
>that’s a park! I can see the cars!
Yes.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712518 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)15:40:24'  && image=='IMG_6392.jpg') {

'>>2709623
you will still need a mat under you for insulation'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712519 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)15:42:25') {

'>>2709675
i want a nemo tent that packs smaller than a nalgene and its 500$, and a nice insulated pad is 150$'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712531 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)16:02:34'  && image=='IMG_5753.jpg') {

'>>2709630
Found the larping faggot,
>takes sub 10 minutes to set up.
>bug net, hammock, tarp, and cordage to set it up cost less than $70(eno is good but a $30 mallome hammock lasted me 9 seasons before it gave out on me)
>ultimate comfy in the rain, if you’re not retarded and set your rain fly up you should wake up dry (shocking I know)
>fits in a school backpack so you can stop being a gatekeeping faggot and actually go /out/
>buy a woolymamoth wool blanket from Amazon and a yoga mat to keep in the hammock. You’ll be warm for three season weather.

Op if you’re reading this get into hammock camping. It truly is a goated way to camp and is cheap.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712533 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)16:06:03'  && image=='IMG_5754.png') {

'>>2709673
Why on earth would you spend that much on a hammock? I’ve used this mallowme hammock for 9 years before I had to buy a replacement. You can throw a down comforter in it and be just as warm.

Xntrs'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2712555 && dateTime=='03/25/24(Mon)16:53:45') {

'>>2712531
Thank you.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2713067 && dateTime=='03/27/24(Wed)07:10:08') {

'>>2710069
Same shit if I said that the tree i tied my hammock to would fall on me or that I would flip in my hammock. Can tell you've never camped above the treeline/used a tent'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2713069 && dateTime=='03/27/24(Wed)07:15:02') {

'>>2710069
nah everyone I know thinks tents are more comfy, not a single person has said gee, I really wish I was sleeping inside a thin plastic bag, with no place to store my gear, that can untie anytime on me overnight instead of this comfy tent'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2713074 && dateTime=='03/27/24(Wed)07:57:04') {

'>tree falling
Skill issue

>flip
It’s understandable if you’ve never used a hammock. It’s a little bit of an investment, and maybe you don’t really have much need for one or don’t like hanging out on day hikes or whatever. But you’ve never even bothered to look into them, so your opinions are moot. You’re not going to flip out of a gathered end hammock.

>above tree line
Skull issue (again). This is almost always the result of poor planning or, in your case, a theorycrafted hypothetical by people who don’t frequent areas above tree line. But you have to realize the stupidity of this argument… right? Like if you planned on going to a specific type of environment you’d pack accordingly.

>>2713069
>thing plastic bag
How gross is your sleeping bag and why aren’t you using a liner?

>store gear
The same place you keep it while hiking; in your pack, which sits under your hammock. Duh? Anything you might want during the night or before bed can be put in a small stuff sack and hung from a structural ridgeline, or on a peak shelf, or on the sewn hammock stuff sack, or in a side sling, or in a gear hammock.

>untie any time
Wut?

>comfy tent
lol
LMAO'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2713076 && dateTime=='03/27/24(Wed)08:04:54') {

'>>2713067
>you've never camped above the treeline
That doesn't suddenly make a tent more comfortable, it just means you're forced to use it.
Everyone you ask, including ground campers that post videos on youtube, agree that hammocks are more comfortable, they just use something else due to other factors.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2714913 && dateTime=='04/02/24(Tue)01:11:35'  && image=='IMG_20220826_175712.jpg') {

'>>2709623
I like hammock camping. Big advantage in comparison with tent camping - you can just chill in hammock during the day, just hang around and enjoy the scenary. I'm lazy, I like handing around.
Wasn't much of out person but wanted to try out on cheap so I went with ~25€ Decathlon 3.5m hammock, regular sleeping pad and 40€ silver lined 4x4m tarp from Amazon. After few tries bought myself Modern Nomad winter underquilt for 140€, since regular pad in hammock is just pain in the ass. Night and day difference, underquilt is a must if you don't live in Texas or Africa.
Next I bought myself ~40€ cheapo sleeping bag (-10C on label, bulky) and Snugpak Jungle Blanket for ~35€, since until that point I was covering myself up with regular blanket from home. Snugpak blanket is great for spring/colder summer days and sleeping bag help up in winter around negative -5C degrees (with underquilt). Also bought myself bugnet for around 25€ from Alpkit - pretty much a must during warmer months, since bugs will eat you alive.
General thoughts - hammock camping is fun, but will probably won't be as lightweight nor compact as tent camping. As for myself I'm planning to upgrade my hammock to proper one with integrated bugnet. And also I need to finally buy snakeskins for my tarp, because taking it down and folding on the ground is pain in the ass, especially after rainy night.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2714923 && dateTime=='04/02/24(Tue)01:56:14') {

'>>2709623
Kammmok Mantis Hammock - awesome all in one system: Tarp, Hammock, integrated bug net and straps

If it gets below 65 degrees at night where you go get the most expensive down under quilt you can afford, you'll need it

Also just get 1 nice down quilt rated around 30 or below

Throw in a pillow of your choosing and you are set with a great sleep and shelter system that you can use as a chair when you pull the tarp back.
On beautiful nights with no rain it's awesome to sleep with just the stars above
Rain is pretty comfortable in a hammock because the extra airflow of a hammock keeps it from becoming too humid inside like a tent tends to do.

I have and use both, if I have a choice and know I'll have trees then I am always picking my hammock. In weather below freezing in taking my tent.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716292 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)11:16:55') {

'Question for the hammock autists: how well do those UHMWPE tree straps work as a becket hitch suspension? I already have some shorter straps for a marlinspike suspension so I'm aware that the straps tend to bunch under load (it's a minor inconvenience at worst) but I've seen conflicting reports that range from:

>the straps bunching on the continuous loops actually helps
>the straps bunching is a minor annoyance that can be straightened out when you break camp (just like for marlinspike use cases)
>the straps bunching makes it harder to release the hitch and creates a risk of slipping that requires you to double or triple up the hitch to eliminate

The bad reports make those straps sound like a pain in the ass that aren't worth the trouble.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716305 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)11:39:18') {

'>>2716292
Just use carabineers. Even if you are going ultralight whatever keeping like 3 really nice carabineers on you is super useful for all types of things.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716403 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)15:54:56') {

'>>2709623
Yeah I bought a $40 one on amazon and I used it in the rain in shenandoah. It was great. It got a bit wet but the best feature was I could just piss over the edge and not get up in the rain and get wet. Pissing off the hammock plus the m bugnet and how easy set up was was great. As long as there are trees, hammocks are superior to tents. I think I might get a bivy tent for times there are no trees.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716404 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)15:57:33') {

'>>2716292
The fuck? Just tie a knot'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716408 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)16:16:13') {

'>>2716404
Lol, how to say you are a true /out/ poster in one sentence... just tie a knot'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716444 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)18:16:42'  && image=='abstract-smooth-empty-grey-studio-well-use-as-background-business-report-digital-website-template-backdrop_1258-55963.jpg') {

'>>2716408
This is a knot. I use it for fishing and hammock straps.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716565 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)23:52:49') {

'>>2716444
That's not even a simple overhand knot or a bowline, that's like some retarded double overhand loop wannabe slip knot that your loop would just pull the end right out of and you'd fall on your ass if you sat in a hammock the used this knot.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716601 && dateTime=='04/06/24(Sat)04:03:14'  && image=='1497823499406.png') {

'>>2716444
Did you download a stock image of a solid grey rectangle just to mspaint your knot on it?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716607 && dateTime=='04/06/24(Sat)04:23:23') {

'>>2716565
It's a fishing knot and I use it for everything.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716610 && dateTime=='04/06/24(Sat)04:25:21'  && image=='improvedclinch.jpg') {

'>>2716565
>>2716607
I found it'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716665 && dateTime=='04/06/24(Sat)07:50:07') {

'>>2716610
Clinch knots are absolutely based... for fishing.
For a hammock setup, especially one using amsteel/UHMWPE it's not well suited.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716690 && dateTime=='04/06/24(Sat)09:03:49') {

'>>2716404
>anon asks if this particular strap material works well as a knot
>"wtf? Just tie a knot"

I hope you get a fishing hook caught in your foreskin.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2716716 && dateTime=='04/06/24(Sat)09:56:56') {

'>>2716690
It's a strap. You can buy a $20 hammock at costco with straps and they work without slipping. Literally just don't be weak and pull on it. I can only see this being an issue if the operator can't get any tension before adding weight or is too short to put it high enough while being fat.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2717277 && dateTime=='04/07/24(Sun)12:29:10') {

'>put phone down at 11 PM
>well this isn't all that comfy, I don't know if I'll be able to fall asleep in this thing
>wake up
>it's 11 AM

Typical hammock outnig 2bh.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2717341 && dateTime=='04/07/24(Sun)15:55:58'  && image=='comfy.jpg') {

'I applied what I learned here and it was the most comfy outing I ever had.
Thanks again.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718596 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)16:55:45') {

'What lengths do you anons aim for for the lines between the hammock and the tree huggers? I've considered making whoopie slings but am unsure what length I should make them.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718617 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)18:51:20') {

'>>2718596
I think the rule of thumb is 3m of total length per side, if you need more then you probably chose the wrong trees, and you would have to tie it higher than you can reach.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718637 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)20:11:58') {

'>>2718617
Thanks for the number anon, that sounds about right in terms of giving you plenty of options.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718728 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)04:06:22') {

'>>2710239
Your picture shows your hammock is hung too tightly, it needs sag to hang properly, look at the other pictures with hammocks that have a ridgeline, that keeps them properly sagged.

Same thing happens here...@4:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfBrIEH2-U'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718729 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)04:16:30') {

'>>2709623
You have to find the right pair of trees for your setup instead of just finding a nice patch for a tent. And the backache, sleeping in a hammock doesn't work for everyone.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718735 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)04:43:55'  && image=='IMG_20200905_133503.jpg') {

'>>2718729
This, all of this.
And backpacking sleeping pads are famous for the wonders they do for your back.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718740 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)04:56:16') {

'>>2709623
I did just that few years ago and never looked back. Mostly because I was tired of looking for perfect place to sleep, that would be relatively dry, without puddles of water (even with a tent floor they can be an issue), not rocky, without any roots that could puncture my inflatable pad and so on. Hammocks are great, just make sure it will be long enough for you.

I highly recommend book "The Ultimate Hang" - I've learned a lot from it, it's excellent for newbies and it made my experiences really fun.

>ditching my (...) matress and sleeping bag
You'll still need them.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718745 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)05:12:24') {

'>>2709630
>- It'll take longer to set up and pack up than a tent.
That depends on the tent. With my diy whoopie slings, setting up a hammock is trivial.
>- If it rains, a tent is a lot nicer than a hammock and a tarp to be in.
If it rains a hammock and a tarp are much better to set up and they'll guarantee a dry sleep.
Tent:
- while you're setting up a tent floor, it rains on it and it rains on you.
- while you're setting up the inner wall and tent poles it rains on it, filling your bathtub floor with water and it rains on you.
- while you're setting up the outer wall of your tent it rains on you.
Hammock:
- you set up a tarp while it rains on you.
- you set up rest of your camp while drying off, with no chance of your gear getting more wet
>- If the hammock doesn't have an integrated bugnet, you'll have a bad time, especially near any water.
Since they're more popular, they're often just as cheap as regular ones, so I don't see why getting a hammock with a bugnet would be a problem.
That being said it's easy to make one to drape over your hammock ("The Ultimate Hang" has some excellent instructions). Or you could use a head net, if you want to go ultralight.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718746 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)05:14:46') {

'>>2709788
>but I haven't found a good starter guide that covers all of them
I realize I'm starting to sound like a shill, but I really liked the book "the ultimate hang". It's easy to find on the web if you're a pirate.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2718747 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)05:22:20'  && image=='soft-shackle-3-1.jpg') {

'>>2716305
>Just use carabineers. Even if you are going ultralight whatever keeping like 3 really nice carabineers on you is super useful for all types of things.
>carabineers
>ultralight
Rope is lighter than aluminum and plenty strong.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2719136 && dateTime=='04/12/24(Fri)07:24:00') {

'Are quilts worth it? I've been using my foam sleeping pad with my hammock so far, but I'm thinking about upgrading
They seem heavier and much more expensive than closed foam pads, but maybe if I were to make one myself it would work. Problem is I'm not sure if it's worth the effort and I'm hesitant to spend money on gear that I'm not gonna use.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2719137 && dateTime=='04/12/24(Fri)07:25:00') {

'>>2719136
>Are quilts worth it
I meant underquilts'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2719156 && dateTime=='04/12/24(Fri)09:29:48') {

'>>2719136
>>2719137
>are underquilts worth it?

Yeah. Against convention I prefer synthetic insulation, but if weight/bulk is a consideration that may not work for you.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2719158 && dateTime=='04/12/24(Fri)09:38:25') {

'>>2709623
it is way colder than you think. keep that in mind.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2719191 && dateTime=='04/12/24(Fri)11:32:55'  && image=='Man-laughing-at-you-for-being-a-retard-in-hammock-Stock-Photo-02.jpg') {

'>>2719158
>he fell for the cold butt syndrome'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2719208 && dateTime=='04/12/24(Fri)12:24:56') {

'>>2719137
Yeah. For summertime, I used a blanket then a diy woobie thing. When it got cold I tried using pads but they slip out if you move around, I tended to have a lot of condensation underneath me, and they killed the fabric-like comfort of the hammock. I bring a foam pad but it's only a sit pad and backup for the UQ.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2719529 && dateTime=='04/13/24(Sat)10:07:33') {

'>>2719156
>>2719208
Alright, thanks for input bros. I'll try out a quickly made underquilt from my old sleeping bag to test if it's for me.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2719733 && dateTime=='04/13/24(Sat)21:55:47'  && image=='PXL_20240410_064357728.jpg') {

'Last weekend went hammock camping, it was quite nice.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2720162 && dateTime=='04/15/24(Mon)09:32:51') {

'Re: Ridgeline for a tarp
Is the Ridgeline for a tarp really meant to be amsteel rather than just using parachord which you can easily knot together? And if so, do you make a whoopie sling for it just like you would for normal hammock suspension or the structural Ridgeline, except much longer?
If I have a hammock that's ~3 meters long horizontally (so 3.5 meters actual length), 2 whoopie slings that are about 3 meters max length each and then we add the length of tree straps, do I really need to use 10 meters of rope for a ridgeline whoopie? Maybe even 11? Or do you anons have better and easier solutions?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2720310 && dateTime=='04/15/24(Mon)14:05:21') {

'>>2720162
You can use anything you like that has enough strength. There is no ridgeline police writing out tickets.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2720393 && dateTime=='04/15/24(Mon)16:04:49') {

'>>2720310
550 parachord it is.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2720494 && dateTime=='04/15/24(Mon)18:52:37') {

'>>2720393
Sounds good.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2720516 && dateTime=='04/15/24(Mon)19:16:40') {

'>>2720393
REEEEEEEEE'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2721198 && dateTime=='04/17/24(Wed)13:18:56'  && image=='3B194BEC-7B86-4A07-8EC9-EA1C004CDD21.jpg') {

'Thinking of building a tensa style hammock stand to take on kayaking trips for when I cant be bothered to find a good hang spot.
I'd get the tensa4 but $350 for 4 metal tubes that get used once or twice a season is a bit steep. I can get four 10' emt conduit sections for free - so I'll probably try that first.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2722166 && dateTime=='04/19/24(Fri)14:53:25') {

'>>2720393
That's what I do for the tarp. No use spending the money on anything else since it isn't going to have the long periods of stress of me sleeping suspended by it.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2722180 && dateTime=='04/19/24(Fri)15:26:45') {

'>>2722166
Good to hear. Weather's been shit here, so no chance yet to try it out, but since I rarely stay at a spot for more than a day and usually pack my stuff each morning for a hike to my next stop anyways, I figured a night shouldn't create that much stretch and if I am staying in a place for longer I can just re-tension it each evening.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2723009 && dateTime=='04/21/24(Sun)20:23:04') {

'>>2709623
It's easy to get comfy. But you will wake up with your feet tingling or your back will hurt. Hammocks are nice for naps, but aren't very good for multi day trips imo'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2723014 && dateTime=='04/21/24(Sun)20:40:25') {

'>>2723009
You are incorrect. I will not elaborate.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2723037 && dateTime=='04/21/24(Sun)21:41:12') {

'>>2721198
I've used a tensa4 for years and have used it quite a bit. Nice bit of kit but it is very heavy and I don't think it would be suitable for kayaking, biking, or hiking tours.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724598 && dateTime=='04/25/24(Thu)23:01:19') {

'How low of temperatures can you use a simple PLUQ made from a woobie without any extra insulation?';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724711 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)08:27:03') {

'>>2724598
Not very low. From experience, maybe only 60F. 60F with a breeze and when you're probably sweating all day can feel cool. If you have a doubly thick woobie, maybe almost to 40F. Realistically you'll have to test it. Bring a foam pad as backup if you're worried.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724820 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)14:15:19') {

'>>2724711
The coldest area I'm planning on camping will get down to 30F. Do you think doubling up on the woobies, or maybe rigging a Costco down throw as the second later would be enough? I've seen people talk about using a they're with the horizontal stitches pulled as low as 45F.

Or will I have to bite the bullet and just buy/make a proper underquilt?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724830 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)14:42:34') {

'>>2724820

30f hammock camping is not a practical thing to attempt without a lot of previous experience. At a general minimum for temperatures around freezing you will absolutely need an underquilt, an overquilt, and as much supplementary insulation as possible in the form of extra throw blankets, multiple layers of clothing, etc.
It also wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a space blanket and a few chemical heater packs.

Half-assing this will be life threatening and miserable at best. If we were placing bets, I'd bet on you freezing to death.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724833 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)14:49:08') {

'>>2724830
Hammock fags wishing they brought their sideways quilt as well as their overquilt and underquilt.

Let's pitch it here, oh wait the two trees aren't perfectly spaced with branches in the perfect shape! Better keepm looking...'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724841 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)15:02:33'  && image=='my-perseids-perch-for-the-night.jpg') {

'>>2724833
>he thinks we need trees'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724845 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)15:26:42') {

'>>2724833
>>2724841
lol lmao even'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724848 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)15:33:47') {

'>>2724841
>hammock
>sleeping bag
>underquilt
>tarp
>poles
>guylines
>stakes
I'll just bring my tent at that point; it'll be easier
>captcha: KTHX'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724853 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)15:43:42') {

'>>2724841
That thing did not stay up during even moderate winds but it does make a nice photo, as intended.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724855 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)15:53:16') {

'Where do you guys pack your suspension? Can't pack it with the hammock if it's wet, and if I carry it in a separate small pouch I'm paranoid I will misplace it somewhere and render my whole sleeping system unusable.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724897 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)17:30:41') {

'>>2724848

yeah I've spent enough time tinkering with hammock setup that I would never want to deal with rigging that thing after a long day.

>>2724855

use skins/sleeves and you can usually get away with just wrapping your suspension up a bit on the outside. I've never had a problem anyway.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724899 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)17:40:31') {

'>>2724897
i use a tensionless anchor and attach to that with prussiks. easy and adjustable.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2724902 && dateTime=='04/26/24(Fri)18:02:35') {

'>>2724853

If you have it set up correctly there is very little tension in the system and load on the anchors is minimal. I'd trust >>2724841 in high winds more than I'd trust most tents. In a normal tent the mode of failure is that it falls over on you. In a hammock the first thing to fail in extreme winds is one tarp anchor. the hennessy tarp I have has simple plastic o-ring and hook tarpline tensioners which will just pop loose before there can be any damage to the lines, the tarp, or the stakes. if that happens you groggily make some random adjustments until shit stops flapping around and go back to sleep.

the way things get really bad with a setup of this type is when your anchors aren't trustworthy for whatever reason. anchoring strategy is different for every scenario, every soil, every situation and the only way to git gud is to git gud.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2725093 && dateTime=='04/27/24(Sat)08:38:09') {

'>>2724820
I don't know how much loft the Costco down has, but at the rate you're doing all this rigging and sewing you could make Apex underquilt and have sufficient insulation by choosing the right thickness. At 30F you've also entered the territory where drafts are problematic so you'd have to take that into consideration in designing. Personally I would try this at a warmer trip where you can get some data on whatever system you end up building. It's one thing to push something you know to the limit, its another to discover if something works.

>>2724848
I never understand this idea that hammocks are so complicated. There's maybe a little more fiddling once everything is up but it's not like I didn't spend time looking and cleaning an area for the tent. Whatever extra time is a very minor trade-off for getting a nice tarp and hammock in camp.

>>2724855
All my tarp and hammock rigging just goes in an external pocket on the bag right as it comes of the tree.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2725097 && dateTime=='04/27/24(Sat)09:04:23') {

'>>2724833
>trees spaced perfectly apart
This has to be the same person saying this in every hammock thread, right? I mean I’m pretty sure 99.99% of the people who would comment about hammocks know they have an adjustable suspension and tree distance can vary but a lot, so it has to be just one retard who keeps saying this… right?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==2725536 && dateTime=='04/28/24(Sun)17:14:14'  && image=='20240428_170935.jpg') {

'get yourself a cheap nylon tow rope from the dollar store, and suddenly every tree is perfectly spaced

also get a coil of rope from your nearest hardware store and extend your hammocks normal attachments'
;

}

}
}