public void Kobolt Klan Adoption 18(OP Spinejuice) {

String fullTitle = 'Kobolt Klan Adoption 18';
int postNumber = 5962747;
String image = '1711631944011186.png';
String date = '03/28/24(Thu)09:19:04';
String comment = 'Previous Thread:
https://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/2024/5916511/
============================
Recap: You finally arrived at Paracelsus' family, after dealing with an assassin, and it turns out Paracelsus' daddy issues mixed with dragon issues is causing her to have a bit of a breakdown. You're trying to help her through it.
============================

“Paracelsus… We can’t just leave. Your father’s a brash man, clearly quite pig-headed, but he’s still your father, and you’re still his daughter. I know you didn’t see it, but seeing you like this affected him. More than even he expected, if I had to guess.”
Paracelsus hisses in response, her fingers digging into your flesh as she does so.
“Like I should care! It’s been YEARS, and all he wants to know is how I might "help the family"!? AGAIN!? Have you SEEN this thrice-damned country!? Rosaria may be owned by a megalomaniac, but this place is worse in every single way! Oileana is a cesspit and people like my father are the reason for it! This backwards MUD PIT can burn for all I care! At this point!? I’d HAPPILY be the match!”

Adding deed to word, she shoots flames out of her nose, growling as she does it. You hug her tighter.
“You don’t mean that. I know you, Sa- Paracelsus. You didn’t become a doctor on a whim.”
She remains silent… and pushes you away, out of the hug. She’s still crying, though she looks angry, first and foremost.
“And what’s your point!? That because I'm a doctor, I should give him another chance? How does that even make sense!?”
"Not him, but the country. Giving your father another chance is just for your benefit. Look at yourself... This is clearly eating at you, and I suspect it's been eating at you for a while."
You realize something there... though you hope that you are wrong.
"Is the reason you were ever so giddy about marriage because it let you focus on something else? I'm sure it did excite you, but-"
"So what if it was!? Maybe I was scared that my father hadn't changed one bit! Maybe I already knew this is what would happen, that in less than TEN MINUTES he'd be yelling at me, demanding I serve his fat wasted behind! Do you think I don't WANT to love my family!? That I don't want them to be better!? Of course not! But not like THIS! Not with this ridiculous game of cloak and dagger, the eternal sucking up to the king, sending off people like they're tools instead of people! It's... I can't tolerate this any longer! And with how strong we both are, we don't have to."

She looks around for a moment, as if trying to find something of note... There are guards, there are kobolts, and your other friends. The changeling boy is trembling, and keeping very close.
Despite all that, she just moves in close.
"Perhaps, we could take this land. For our own. Make it something better. A utopia."

Oh.
Oh god no.'
;

}
public void comments() {
if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5962756 && dateTime=='03/28/24(Thu)09:41:02') {

'"And how would we do that?"
"Kill the king. Burn his courts. If might makes right, then what are we, but law manifest?"
Time to put the foot down. This cannot be tolerated.
"We can NOT do this. Paracelsus, THINK! This isn't what you would do, this isn't what you would WANT! And where would we get this power!?"
"I think, if we find a nice place to stay and give it a few years... less, if I get to experiment. Much less. We could be as gods!"

Her expression looks almost rapturous as she holds you closer.
"It could be ours, Reynauld. All be ours. The people will be so much happier under our rule. Healthier. This whole country is diseased, rotted to the core. We must purge the infected flesh. Cauterize it. Sterilize..."
She laughs. It's a titter, like a girl telling you about a boy she saw rather than somebody proposing a two-person coup... and you can hear and feel her flesh shifting under those robes, as she begins to grow. So subtly you might not have noticed were you not holding her so close, but where you once were a head taller, and taller still were you to stretch out, it was now but half a head.
"Ohh, Reynauld. I want this land. I want to see it healthy. Its people celebrating. It will be an age of learning! I want it to be MINE."

This can not continue.
You will not let it.

>Slap her.
No, no no no, absolutely god damned NOT! Lets hope the shock to the system is enough.

>Stop playing nice, now is not the time for whispers.
You need to shout it out, and tell her that this is ABSOLUTELY not acceptable

>Well... maybe
This country IS pretty terrible. And... think of the good you could do. The riches to have.

>Push her off, and walk away.
She won't listen to words right now. Hopefully, seeing you walk away might. Or, if nothing else, you can cool off.

>Grab her by the throat. Prepare to stop her permanently.
She's family to you now. You've done it before.

>Something else.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5962777 && dateTime=='03/28/24(Thu)10:33:32') {

'>>5962756
>Stop playing nice, now is not the time for whispers.
If that doesn't work, leave.

Speaking of kings, Reynauld would make a good candidate for that king-of-qst contest going on right now...'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963266 && dateTime=='03/28/24(Thu)19:34:34') {

'> For a terrible moment, you are back at your father's home, the light flickering out of his horrid eyes and it is not hate that stares back at you, but relief and regret, before you can stop yourself a thunderous smack is heard, as you slap Paracelsus, for a moment there is only silence, as all are to stunned to speak, before hot white emotion pours out of you, "NO, No more! I couldn't save my family only offer them the release and redemption of the blade, I FAILED them, in my haste to be rid of this curse I comprised and gave Gog, the means to reproduce the damn thing and people I loved paid the price! a whole settlements razed and lives ruined! when I put gog down MYSELF, in the end, she did not fight, rave, or scream, just one more Victem of my failures! And now, here I stand as I watch the women I love fall to the same corruption that took my first family, and so many other innocent people, I will not allow it to happen, again. The active mental corruption component of the spell may be gone Sarah, but clearly, the corruption that comes from these Abominable instincts isn't! The Sarah I know wouldn't speak of purging lands, wouldn't be planning the butchery of a CONTINENT, the Sarah I know did not care for power and bureaucracy only the love of medicine and its pursuit, and she cared what was right!" *The anger and fury seem to bleed out of Reynold as he looks empty and tired* "Please stop this before actions which can't be undone come to pass I've seen where this path leads, WE've seen where this path leads, and I can-....won't let you, please Sarah, please come back to me, don't give into these instincts,...I won't live through losing a second family."

I genuinely believe this is our one chance to get this right, this is not the moment for half measures if we don't break her out of it, and turn her from this path, then we all know what has to be done, and I believe that will kill Reynold if it comes to that.

>>5962777
>If that doesn't work, leave.
leaving now would only make this worse, we need to end this before it can begin because we know from Reynold's personal history where this path is leading, and we saw it again with Gog (the archmage), and now it's starting with Saraph'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963267 && dateTime=='03/28/24(Thu)19:35:35') {

'>>5963266
>>5962756
forgot to link my vote'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963271 && dateTime=='03/28/24(Thu)19:40:29') {

'>>5963266
The slap and direct speech are exactly what is needed right now. Support'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963524 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)00:48:30') {

'>>5963266
Supporting'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963803 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)06:00:29') {

'You can see it. In her eyes, past those goggles. That familiar, dark, evil look that you've seen before. You saw it in Ogg. You saw it in your father. Now, you see it in your lover's eyes. It's a hunger, a terrifying hunger for "more" that can never be sated. You have struggled through countless problems, but going through this again? With somebody you would consider family?
Once almost killed you.
A second time most certainly will. You begin to shake, resisting your body's demand to cry, and then, with a roar, you rear back, and smack Paracelsus hard enough for her mask to shatter, parts of flying, and all of her is revealed again. She stumbles for a moment, and the deafening *crack* is followed by nothing. Just silence. The kobolts are quiet, the guards stare, and Paracelsus...

She stares at her mask, and then, slowly, turns back to you. Her scales glitter beautifully in the light, and for a moment, you thought she would attack you, up until she saw you.
You had failed in stopping the tears, and it is only through one of the greatest forces of will that you are able to speak.
"No more. I can't let you continue like this. I will not lose my family again, I will not slay another victim of this curse! We spent weeks chasing after Ogg, she had the same damned plans as you propose! Did you think she was a raving lunatic to the end!? She did not fight, she did not rave, all she wanted to know was why I stopped her! She thought she was doing good! You've seen damned well what the results of her actions were!"

Paracelsus stares at her, her mouth agape, as she steps back from you. She shrinks away from you.
"I thought you were better than this! You always fought against these instincts better than I could! I know damned well that the Sarah I know wouldn't speak of a purge! Speaking of butchering all who oppose her! You desired knowledge, not power, you desired to help, not to rule! YOU CARED ABOUT WHAT WAS RIGHT!!"
You gasp for air, the shouting making you dizzy. The tears flow freely, now, sizzling against the dirt as your profane, abominable body is rejected by the soil itself.
Looking up at the golden-scaled, wondrous beauty, you see her expression.
Horror. Sheer horror. She stares at you, gasping like a fish on land, as she tries to find her words.

"I-I didn't... I don't... B-but we could... T-together, we could-" She can't even finish her sentence, and you scream at her.
"NO! Not together! Not if it's... THIS! I did not slay my father, my mother, my sister and dozens of others that I loved, only to join you in this! Don't make me do this."
"Do WHAT!? Kill me!?" She growls, angrily.

You stare at her... and her expression changes.
"Oh my god, you would... Am... but..."
She stops for a moment, her hand covering her mouth, and the expression of horror appears again.
"Hells below... what am I doing. What the hell am I saying? Reynauld, I... I still... I *feel* as though what you're saying is wrong, but I KNOW you're right! I..."'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963804 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)06:01:31') {

'You put your arms around her again.
"Please don't leave me. Please don't make me go through it again. I can't handle that. I won't handle that."
She returns the hug.
"I don't know why I said what I said. It's... M-my father, I-"
"It's not just him."
"I was emotionally compromised! I... It won't happen again! R-reynauld, I'm sorry, I-"
You hug her tighter, breathing a sigh of utmost, clearest relief.
"Thank you. Thank you so much. I thought I had lost you."
"...I think you might have. Reynauld... I... I'll follow you. Wherever you say we go, we go. Do you still wish for me to... try? With my father, I mean?"

>Yes.
It's important. Emotional health, if nothing else, seems important when it comes to resisting the beast.

>We won't leave quite yet, but we'll keep distance from your father.
The rest of the family should be a stabilizing influence.

>We should leave.
Clearly, there is no more time to be lost.

>Something else.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963948 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)11:33:08') {

'>>5963804
>>Yes.
>It's important. Emotional health, if nothing else, seems important when it comes to resisting the beast.
>I'm sorry I had strike you

This absolutely this, it was the unresolved conflict that gave these corrupting influences the opening needed to start to take root. If we begin the healing process we should be able to head it off at the pass.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963955 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)11:44:34') {

'>>5963804
>We won't leave quite yet, but we'll keep distance from your father.
He's a bad influence. She needs to clear her head before she sees him again. Maybe later, before we leave.
>I'm sorry I had strike you'
;

}

if(RQM && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5963965 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)11:57:16') {

'>>5962777
>Speaking of Kings...
You'd certainly be welcome! This quest has been going strong for, what, two years now? You're better qualified than most, and Reynauld and Paracelsus (and Pink) are all great candidates.

We're over at >>5961634, and you're cordially invited to join us, you the players or QM are interested!'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964018 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)13:11:43') {

'>>5963955
I agree dude isn't going to be winning any father of the year awards but judging by his reaction to Sarah's breakdown I think he had a breakthrough moment even if it had to come from something this dramatic, his possible realization of how shit he is aside I think Sarah needs this resolution more than he does, again not addressing these emotions and letting them fester only to boil out is what caused this breakdown for her. I strongly believe she and he need to burry the hatchet one way or the other.

But you have a point maybe we should give it a night and have the sibling she likes speak with her, then have a second go around with her dad. The only thing I possibly worry about is waiting to long or something.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964154 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)16:56:33') {

'>>5963804
You're doing a fantastic job Spinejuice.
>>5963955
Throwing full support behind this.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964310 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)20:10:08') {

'>>5963804
>>Yes, but not tonight, and tomorrow we can see about having the brother you are fond of come and see you. We will take this slowly
>I'm sorry I had strike you

Under no circumstances should we leave without resolving her father issues, but at the same time, anon had a very valid point about him being a negative influence on her mental state at the moment. But as the other anon pointed out letting this stay as is would be just as bad.

so the middle ground we give her tonight and maybe a couple more days to stabilize then we try meeting with her father again.

Now, to another matter, holy shit spine, that was amazing, if my rough draft was good, the refinements and adjustments you did 10 out of 10, well done.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964414 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)21:28:06') {

'>>5963804
>>We should leave.
We should seek out the court mage, try to get ourselves stabilized, then return to the family to try and shake out things with her father.
I still support Reynauld (and Celsie) being dragonkin, that is, human+PLUS but still essentially human with dragon characteristics as that is the best means by which to fulfil his oath and give us time to prepare to kill onyx.

Until then, return to the hotel for the evening if it is nearby, then go to the court mage. Maybe take her brother with us for the night, and have him report back tomorrow.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964416 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)21:29:07') {

'>>5964310
see the thing is, as long as we are in the same area we can take care of her issues with her father after things have cooled off a bit and we're less pressed for time.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964449 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)22:12:41') {

'>>5964416
magic is a fickle thing as we have seen, and I am willing to bet that if we try and use magic to stop the curse without resolving her internal conflict/father issues something will go wrong, I am not sure what, but call it a gut feeling or intuition if you like.

but before we make it for the mage we need to settle this, there is also the issue of getting to the mage, we made contact with those mercs and they could maybe get us in, but even with the issues between Sarah and her dad I think leveraging his connections to get a meeting with the mage might be the better option.

>I still support Reynauld (and Celsie) being dragonkin, that is, human+PLUS but still essentially human with dragon characteristics as that is the best means by which to fulfill his oath and give us time to prepare to kill onyx.

Seriously even after that display? I have a hard time accepting that viewpoint now myself but hey to each their own I guess. But I think Spine is pretty clearly telling us through the narrative that evening being at the Dragonborn stage (which Sarah is at) leaves you vulnerable to falling to the inherent evil natures of dragons. But you do you anon everyone has the right to an opinion regardless of what others think of it?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964481 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)22:47:19') {

'man Reynold developing into a tragic hero with every thread and it is great.';

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964492 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)23:01:58') {

'>>5964449
>the inherent evil natures of dragons
Depends what you mean by 'evil'. She was going down a dangerous road with her ruthlessness, but even than, our Sarah was talking about making the country better for most of the people. Her reptilian brain (and trauma) was just making her more callous than we're used to... But she HAS always been a bit of a loose cannon, to be frank.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964524 && dateTime=='03/29/24(Fri)23:38:27') {

'>>5964492
There isn't any room for debate on this here.
>You can see it. In her eyes, past those goggles. That familiar, dark, evil look that you've seen before. You saw it in Ogg. You saw it in your father. Now, you see it in your lover's eyes. It's a hunger, a terrifying hunger for "more" that can never be sated. You have struggled through countless problems, but going through this again? With somebody you would consider family?

she was one poor choice on our part from being taken over fully by the same evil that took Ogg, Spine straight up said the darkness in her eyes was the same as the darkness we saw in our fathers eyes and we had to purge our whole family because they went evil after falling to darkest dungeon style corruption.

> but even than, our Sarah was talking about making the country better for most of the people.

you mean like Ogg wanted to do, by creating a race of supermen and a subrace of happy and passive slaves? because again not much room for debate here.

>We spent weeks chasing after Ogg, she had the same damned plans as you propose! Did you think she was a raving lunatic to the end!? She did not fight, she did not rave, all she wanted to know was why I stopped her! She thought she was doing good! You've seen damned well what the results of her actions were!"

This wasn't a case of her having the best intentions of her people at heart it was her falling into the same maddness and evil that overran Ogg.

>Her reptilian brain (and trauma) was just making her more callous than we're used to... But she HAS always been a bit of a loose cannon, to be frank.

Are we reading the same update anon? because while I understand wanting to go dragon, because dragons are fucking sick, but in this setting, going dragon, means always ending up an evil monster, from the first one who death cursed us to become a dragon, to the nascent Dragonyold who we thankfully purged, to poor Ogg who got fucked over by our poor choice. That is before we even touch on the fact that Onyx exists, the literal seed of evil who made dragons evil by default, it's coded into there very nature, as we just saw.

That a side, this was more than reptilian brain/trauma, which admittedly triggered her near slide into fully falling to corruption but still even she was horiffied once we talked her down.

>"Hells below... what am I doing. What the hell am I saying? Reynauld, I... I still... I *feel* as though what you're saying is wrong, but I KNOW you're right! I..."

This isn't a oh well there are points to be made on the nature of dragons and there are shades of gray, literally every dragon we have met has been evil, spine has multiple times in this quest stated through the narrative dragons are evil, and now we have been reminded again that even without the activemental corruption, the instincts alone are enough to corrupt who you are. In this setting dragons are evil, and if we go dragon then we will end up evil it is simply a matter of time.

srry for the length'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964596 && dateTime=='03/30/24(Sat)01:30:16') {

'>>5964524
>>5964449
>But you do you anon everyone has the right to an opinion regardless of what others think of it?
>There isn't any room for debate on this here.
I'm not sure both can be true. I won't debate this at length, but I think the dragonforce makes a person more ruthless and hierarchical, as well as possessive, but otherwise may simply exacerbate one's own tendencies. Pink alluded to this: that her previous master was weak, that humans' own darkness is equal to dragons'. I think Ogg and Paracelsus both displayed expressions of their own inner angsts and desires, good and ill intent, but Ogg's descent was more rapid and pronounced because of the instability of wizards.

> in this setting, going dragon, means always ending up an evil monster
>literally every dragon we have met has been evil
Dragonmom who we met on the mountain didn't seem awful, and I believe Snik will turn out well, too. I even believe in Sarah. Most of all, I believe in Reynauld's willpower and good example.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964783 && dateTime=='03/30/24(Sat)09:16:58') {

'>>5964596
>Ogg's descent was more rapid and pronounced because of the instability of wizards.
basically. the dragon stuff was the cause of her descent, but the descent itself was very much a function of going from court mage to wizard via mana sickness.
and Paracelsus' "let's just overthrow the government" is actually pretty reasonable and something I've considered myself after dealing with the baron.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964814 && dateTime=='03/30/24(Sat)10:26:33') {

'I can't help but think you guys are glossing over some pretty serious warning signs that Spine has given us.

Simply because the idea of having the ability to be a dragon is cool on a meta level but terrible in universe.

Not to be Antagonistic, but it's the same line of thinking of oh I can handle it. We're the exception that leads great mentor ruin. It brought down reynolds family for sure. And it laid Ogg low.

I've seen nothing so far. That convinces me that we just haven't reached a stage of our own corruption That can overpower our will power.

So far, every human has been afflicted with this curse aside from us.As either actively tried to make the world worse or plotted to do so. I think it's reasonable to say that.We're the exception and not the rule when it comes to this curse and the ability to remain uncorrected'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5964829 && dateTime=='03/30/24(Sat)10:58:44') {

'>>5964596
>>I'm not sure both can be true.
no they are, I respect that you have an opinion on this matter, but I think it is wildly incorrect, based on the story so far, and the last update. Nothing more nothing less.

As for your view on the dragon nature that isn't a bad point, I can see it amplifying already existing tendencies but I contend that is warps what those tendencies are pushing you further and further toward evil.

Now with Pink, she is openly racists against humans love her or not that is an established character trait, and at times has actively pushed to speed up a transformation our MC does not want, at best she is an unreliable source, and if we assume the worst she is actively working to undermine us for our own good. I think it's the former, to blinded by her biases and racism to be relied on for council in those matters.

With Ogg, you have a point being a wizard is a dangerous game, there is great power to be had if you have the will to endure the ever looming madness that comes with that power. And she did, don't forget she had a whole room dedicated to magic detox to keep her stable likely not sane as we have not met a sane wizard, but stable none the less. If you will recall the down fall of Ogg came because Dragonold, poisoned her with mana without her realizing it and when she understood what was happening she rushed to the detox bath in the hopes of stabilizing again, which unfortunately for us and her did not work. and we know the rest she fell to corruption and ruin.

The dragon broodmother, only let us stay in that cave for a night because we were no threat to her at that moment and explained at length how evil onyx was, I don't think we were there long honestly say one way or another if she was evil, at most she was a tentatively neutral third party.

Snik, I also have high hopes for, and think if we keep being a good dad to her she will turn out fine, but I have to dog on Pink again, because you will recall she was poisoning her against humans trying to encourage her to be more dragon like. We even had a talk with Pink about it who did not seem all that much changed by it. I also believe in Sarah, in her ability to hold onto who she is long enough for us to get to a wizard and stop the curse. Because brother she nearly went full dark side the update was very black and white in that regard.

And Reynauld is a chad of singular will and ability, even before we got to play him, I don't think many men could put down there whole family who has fallen to DD style corruption and have the will to carry on in the name of knightly duty. We are by no metric or regime the rule, we are very much the exception.

sorry for the length, just wanted to make sure I was clear.
>>5964783
It wasn't just let's overthrow the government though was it? she was on the end of falling fully into evil, the update was extremely clear in that regard.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5966557 && dateTime=='03/31/24(Sun)22:33:28') {

'>>5964814
I mean, the bright side is we can pretty reliably establish that a whole lot of Celsie's transformation fetish (and make no mistake, it was definitely a fetish for her) is directly tied to her unresolved daddy issues and if we can get her relationship with her father smoothed over a bit, it'll remove like 80% of her motivation for changing into a big stompy monster that can't be bossed around by anyone.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5966576 && dateTime=='03/31/24(Sun)22:45:17') {

'>>5966557
True, being a big dragon won't make the hunt go away only having that hard conversation with dad will do it and we will be there for her as it happens'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5968273 && dateTime=='04/02/24(Tue)18:54:51') {

'"I'm sorry for striking you, Paracelsus, before we start."
"It's fine! It's fine. Really, I... I know you wouldn't do it unless it was needed. I think without the shock to my system I never would have listened... Don't do again, if you can help it, but... you know."
She's regaining some of her attitude again. Thankfully. That faint bit of haughty that makes her the woman you love.
"Now!" She says. "Shall we just... leave? I think this place is clearly bad for my mental and, as is clear, physical health. Though, I must admit, there is something to be said for being taller..."

You shake your head;
"No. This is clearly something that's been eating at you, and I'd like for you and your father to make up at least somewhat. I'm not asking you to be friends, just... That you reach an understanding together."
Paracelsus stares at you... And you're trying to figure out if she's offended or just thinking very hard. You are preparing to dodge a slap from her all the same, though it never comes.
"I'm... not willing to step right back in there right now. I just started crying, Reynauld. I haven't cried in front of him since I was eight, and that was mortifying too!"
Hells, what kind of family is this?
"Well, he seemed to mind. He must realize what he's doing is hurting you."
"Of course he does. But, to be honest with you, Reynauld? I desperately don't want to talk to that bloated gasbag."
Sighing, you nod.

"Fine. But we're staying here all the same. You had some family you enjoyed, yes? A brother you liked?"
"We had a pretty big fight, and he's a half-brother. I've also got a whore of a mother, so for all I know I might have a few new siblings since I left. I have a sister, but she's been married off... won't be seeing her around... If I'm lucky, my uncle is here, along with my nephew. I like them, though I wish my nephew didn't try to kiss me on at least four occasions."
Doesn't seem too unusual, for noble families, but Paracelsus clearly knows enough.
"Let's just go, I suppose. I'll... explore the old castle for a bit. Meanwhile, you get to deal with the hard part."
"Which is?"

She grabs you by the shoulders, and you see her father standing there... Blocked by the kobolts, at the moment, or else he would have stepped closer himself.
"Keep him busy. Try to get to know eachother. You proposed I get along with him, after all... lets see how you manage."
"I-"
"Ta-ta."

And, just like that Paracelsus proceeds to abscond from the situation, even telling Pink to stop her father from chasing him. Pink, revelling in the order, quickly takes charge of several other kobolts, and they encircle the fat man. He understands it well enough, at least, and instead, he crosses his arms, and looks at you.
This... Is awkward.

>You know what, you'll leave as well.
The kobolts can block him for now...
>So... Politics are a big thing with you. What do you even intend to DO if you "win"?

>Propose you head back to the sitting room and just... talk.
You'll figure it out.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5968292 && dateTime=='04/02/24(Tue)19:24:07') {

'>>5968273
>Propose you head back to the sitting room and just... talk.
So, uh, knighthood. Seems like you folks are into that, too? Ever fought anything especially frightening?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5968334 && dateTime=='04/02/24(Tue)20:15:57') {

'>>5968273
>>Propose you head back to the sitting room and just... talk.

might be able to help him understand our situation his daughter, and maybe even make him less of a dick'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5968441 && dateTime=='04/02/24(Tue)22:12:37') {

'>>5968273
>>5968292
seconding'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5970282 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)10:25:58') {

'"Sir? I propose we head back to the sitting room and just... talk. Try to figure out where we stand, and so that-"
"Fine. Follow me, knight."
He says knight like it burns his tongue, though you suppose it's less the word and more the person he is saying it to. You decide not to react to this slight, considering you just have better things to do... Though, then again, it raises a question.
"So, knighthood... In my country, it refers to a servant to a lord, or in my case to the land. Mostly in martial matters."
The man turns to you, for a moment, not stopping his stride. You do notice that, despite his corpulent stature, he walks with confidence. The stride of a man who was once much more in shape, though you suspect he's gone to seed for well over a decade, at least.
"To the land? Do you ask the moles and grass on what you should do?"

You shake your head, and explain. Though, you suspect it was a translation error.
"I serve the people that live on the land. Regardless of lord or creed. Mostly, it translates to slaying monsters. Surely, with the land being the way it is, you've slain your fair share of monstrosities, yes?"
There is a pause, and the man sighs.
"Yes... The war of poppies is where I made a name for myself. I was already the son of a prominent lord, make no mistake!"
How swiftly he reminds you of his birth, when he should be regaling you of deeds. It's annoying to you, but you suppose it's a difference in culture... though, to be fair, most other knights you knew were like him. He continues:
"I had lost my horse during the battle of Crossroads, this foul monster in plate had gored my horse with a spear that one could use to hunt boars. A true titan... A half-giant, I would later find, the type of monster that clawed itself out of their mother's womb. Anyhow, it thought I was going to die to it right then and there, but he had not yet met a true Ambrosius!"

He's getting into it, and it's quite special to see him act like a human being, instead of this... strange idea of what a person should be.
"He swung his sword down, a blade as big as I was, but I dashed to the side, the blow glancing off my armor, right into the ground, and I swing my warhammer against the side of the monster's legs! Lord, I was strong then!"
He smiles... And then his story gains a darker tone.
"I shattered his leg, and he fell down on one knee, and still that creature attempted to slay me! I stomped on his blade before it would strike me, bending it under my foot, as I raised my hammer above my head."
He laughs.
"The creature begged for its life, as though it would have done it for me! I smashed his head in, in but three swipes. The first was enough, the third was to be sure... Lord! How strong I was. But, alas, the battlefield is easy... Politics, that's where the true beast lies."'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5970283 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)10:26:59') {

'"I wouldn't know much about that, sir. Being a wandering knight, and being sent off on the crusades just after coming of age, I haven't really had the chance."
The lord scoffs:
"Well! I suppose that makes you more a warrior than a knight. No shame in it."
The way he says it implies there is shame in it, frankly, but you'll pretend to be a fool, still.
"We should speak of Paracelsus." You say. "Of Sarah."

You had arrived in the sitting room by then, of course, and sit down opposite eachother. Once more, the kobolds spread around the room, with the guards to follow. The changeling boy remains very close to you, and looks at lord Ambrosius fearfully.
Ambrosius doesn't look at him at all, but his expression has turned right around when you mention her.
"Yes. My daughter. My most brilliant daughter."
That surprises you.
"So, you acknowledge her brilliance?"
"Of course I do. Do you think me so foolish as to not appreciate an intelligent woman? It made her far better than just another hole to sell to some worthless noble that happens to have the right stuff. It means she would be smart enough to take over. The best way to make a house a part of your own, is to marry in something better and smarter. But she did not take it that way. She was always interested in the macabre, the different. She would dissect insects in her room, join the butcher to learn the cuts of meat. I feared for her."
He laughs.
"Imagine my shock when it turned out she did not wish to harm, but to heal! I thought her possessed by the darkest of impulses, but no... No. My darling daughter is the best of my children. An unlikely result, considering what union brought her forth."
Ah, that must be the mother, which Paracelsus didn't even consider in the slightest.
"Paracelsus hardly spoke of her mother."
"There was hardly anything to speak of. She was a spirited woman once. But in this game of thrones... I bested her. Her family swore fealty to mine, and I took their lands and their people. Now, they are but vassels, hardly worth the title. So, she rebels in the only way a failed noblewoman can. She tries to drain my coffers by drinking herself silly."

His expression darkens.
"Even Paracelsus did not interest her, when she understood how low she had fallen. The maid with which I made her brother was more of a mother than 'Lady' Ambrosius."
What an utterly miserable existence this is.
"But you... You are worthless. You offer nothing to the family, and what future does she have with you? Either she becomes something beyond human, or she becomes a vagrant's partner. The first, you are against, the second, I believe, is something you must understand is beneath her"

He falls silent.
"I mean no disrespect. But you understand my issue. Sarah can do, and deserves, better."

>But it's not what *she* wants.

>Yet, I detect very little enjoyment out of your own life. What gives you the right to spread your misery?

>You would encourage your daughter to become a dragon!?

>Other'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5970287 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)10:39:25') {

'>>5970283
>But it's not what *she* wants.
>And she's smart, as you said yourself. Maybe she's seen some wisdom which yet eludes you, or even myself?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5970297 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)10:53:10') {

'>>5970283
>>Yet, I detect very little enjoyment out of your own life. What gives you the right to spread your misery?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5970509 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)18:16:59') {

'>>5970283
> A life worth living means something different to us all, what one sees as valuable as gold to another is as worthless as a stone. You admitted yourself Sarah finds joy and life in healing others pushing back the darkness of the unknown for the betterment of herself and others. Do you truly believe she would be happy, or even content playing the Game of Thrones? that the brilliant daughter you love could thrive in a game she holds no love for?
>You are an intelligent man who I can tell from how you speak of her wants her to thrive, to reach the height of her potential, but if you are honest with yourself I think you already know that she can't do it in the way you had hoped for her.

Wrote what I thought should be said and have nothing more to add as I really don't know what more can be added'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5970525 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)18:42:36') {

'>>5970509
Good show, anon.

>>5970283
Will change my vote (>>5970287 ) to back the high-effort and very well-worded write-in.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5970530 && dateTime=='04/05/24(Fri)18:50:13') {

'>>5970283
Backing this>>5970509'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974310 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)04:52:11') {

'You manage to keep your cool, and remember that this man is just… thinking differently from you. He’s set in his ways, not an uncommon ailment for men of his age. At the end of the day, he just wants what’s best for Paracelsus, even if he just… doesn’t understand what would [i] actually[/i] be best for her. So… You take a moment to gather your words.

“I understand your position, ser Ambrosius.” You say, and he squints his eyes, suspiciously. He is obviously expecting the ‘but’ to follow shortly. And he doesn’t like it.
“But a life worth living means something different to us all. Gold for one may as well be gravel for another.”
“I doubt that. There are universal goods, [i]friend[/i], and power is one of those goods. Even if one does not care for the pursuit of power, or for power for its own sake, power permits one to stride for their personal joys.”
Oh, what a classic bloody argument. You’re tired of hearing it.

“And what do you do when that power restricts? Your daughter was forced to leave this country entirely to attain what she desired.” You point out, but he is quick to counter that.
“An option she could only take because of what she had here! Do you think any podunk serf could cross the sea? Let alone enter a school of those… people!”
You aren’t hobbled.
“I’ll admit her earlier schooling no doubt helped, but consider this: if she is to be countess, and has to spend her time conquering a house from the inside out… Would she enjoy herself? Would she be able to do that happily? Would it allow her to reach her true potential?”

He leans forward:
“It may be the [i]only[/i] way. These distractions-”
You raise your hand, and interrupt.
“These are not distractions, lord! You have already admitted that Para- that Sarah finds joy and life in the art of healing others. In the act of pushing back the darkness of ignorance for the betterment of others and, yes, herself!”
He glares at you. Interruptions are not something he’s used to, so you elect to use your momentum.
“Would she be happy playing this… Game? The shuffling of thrones? Do you believe that your brilliant daughter could thrive in a game she holds no love for!?”

A silence. He cannot answer. In a sense, this is a victory, however short lived.'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974311 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)04:54:56') {

'Eventually, he speaks once more.
“She can still do all of that when she rules a house of her own.”
“IF she rules a house of her own. If she does not care for it, who’s to say she’ll conquer? For all you know, she’ll use her vast knowledge and skills to aid all those around her.”
“She is no traitor…” He says, but his uncertainty colours his words.
“She was about ready to kill you, lord. I wouldn’t hope for blood ties to be enough.”

Then, suddenly, Pink interrupts, along with Collar.
“She’s no kobolt!”
“Loyalty isn’t in the blood!”
“None of you are! You guys need quid pro quos!”
Pink spoke in Oileana’s language, Collar did not… and whatever that language was at the end there. You recognize it as an older tongue, usually limited to nobility these days.
You don’t quite know what Quid Pro Quo might mean.

Lord Ambrosius didn’t even turn to them, and you quickly speak to overpower their words, just for now.
“Listen… you are an intelligent man, lord. You want her to thrive. But I think we both know that it won’t be in the way you had assumed or hoped.”

A silence falls over the room, apart from the squeaks of Snikt stopping Teensy from eating a curtain, and Dismas and Chad discussing… armor maintenance, of all things.
Then, after a bit more time… The lord reclines.
He seems to age as he does so, and his hardened features finally soften.
“...I fear you are right. But I don’t know what to do with her. The Game… it’s all I’ve known. It’s all we’ve ever known. Yet she rejected it. And even now, she is becoming something greater, still. I must ask of you…”

He sits closer.
“Why do you reject this power? From what I have gathered, dragons are nearly unmatched, if not in muscles, at least magic. You could use magic to… attain a humanoid form, no doubt, so why reject it wholesale?”
You know the answer:
“The instincts involved are-”
He stops you. Just the word “instincts” seemed to annoy him.
“Then conquer them. I can place a succulent piece of beef in front of my hounds, and they will not charge to devour it. It is because I trained them to do so. When you see my daughter, do you ravish her whenever you please, or do you hold back? Are you a man, or a feral animal?”

He snorts.
“Instincts… We, as humanity, have stepped beyond slavish obedience to impulses like that. You have new instincts. Recognize them, step beyond them. Be better. Become something greater. I cannot grant my daughter the life she desiures, but I stand by my statement. If she could rise beyond the limitations of the human body. If you could… It would be cruel to deny the world that.”
Then, he sighs.
“...As much as I hate to admit it, Reynauld. I know you are a good man. Too good for this world, besides. This world is one that devours men like you.”
“It has. I just survived.”
“But, please. Answer my question. Why not use this gift? Conquer it. Use it.”

>What is your reason?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974324 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)05:26:40') {

'>>5974311
>I am Reynauld Numitor, I am human. I have slain a dragon, as a human, with Blade, gun and rock, no magic needed. What do I NEED to gain so badly that I would sacrifice my very humanity for? Would you have me follow in the steps of my father? Would you see a prade of knights come to slay me? I told you about my family not as sign to measure Noble linage, but as warning. You ask why I do not embrace the demise of my humanity, the answer is simple, there is nothing worth that cost. Now I have scales, before I had steel armour to do the same job. Now I have claws, before I had a sword to tear Monsters apart. Now I breath fire, before I had pistols to vealch fire and death. What i can do has not changed, only the matter in which I do them. What have I really gained, is it worth what it has cost me already l? Do you think a dragon would make for a better ruler? I have net the godking of the dragons, only an insane man would wish for that.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974328 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)05:49:11') {

'>>5974324
>>5974311
>And before you ask me what good my humanity does me, let me ask you, have you ever been so angry you ate a man? Do your instincts tell you that humans are weak cattle, nothing but live stock that thinks too highly of itself... The consequences of me losing control over these "new instincts" are far more costly than a hound devouring a roast before you tell it to.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974336 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)06:09:39') {

'>>5974324
>>5974328
>>5974311
>My Humanity is all that lets me control these instincts, and I know what lies down the path of letting go of them. I have seen it. I saw it in the Crusades, I saw it in my Father, I saw it in the Archmage Og, and I saw it try to take a hold in Sarah. I do not fancy myself some transcended human who will beat the odds and wrangle more control from this power than it claims control over me. I am Reynauld Numitor, and I am a human.

Apologies for the multipost response, apparently I couldn't organize my thoughts fully all at once.

>My area got temp blocked while I was writing this...'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974389 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)09:07:57') {

'>>5974336
>>5974328
>>5974324
Well done and we'll said full support for this post'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974519 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)13:46:31') {

'>>5974328
I suspect that his instincts as a nobleman from a feudal society that believes in royal bloodright IS that regular humans are cattle, or at least chattel. Rage, even the urge to kill and devour a person, aren't UNIQUELY draconic, even if they're more pronounced in dragons. Ask the Maori, the Mixtecs, or the Dutch... or the in-universe equivalents, who must surely exist or have spiritual successors.

>>5974311
>My humanity is all that lets me control these instincts, and I know what lies down the path of letting go of them. I have seen it. I saw it in the Crusades, I saw it in my father, I saw it in the Archmage Og, and I saw it try to take hold in Sarah. I do not fancy myself some transcended human who will beat the odds and wrangle more control from this power than it claims control over me. I am Reynauld Numitor, and I am a human.
That said, this seems like the legit reason Reynauld (and anons) hold back from embracing the dragon transformation: fear that we'll lose our empathy and perspective and become a tyrant or killer, based on our past experiences in the quest and backstory. I don't know that the old man will find that persuasive, though. Seems to me he thinks acting out of fear of corruptibility to be a sign of weakness.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974684 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)18:21:47') {

'>>5974519
What modifications or alternatives would you suggest how do we make him understand?'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974695 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)18:26:34') {

'>>5974684
I'm not sure, or I'd have suggested them. Paracelsus' father doesn't seem like the sort to understand until he's forced to do so. Maybe we could specify that we're afraid of ego-death and of losing our sense of purpose and noble (not in the sense of blood so much as purpose) bearing? He might respect that. Ultimately, I'm less interested in his respect for us than his lack-of-interference with Sarah, though.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974698 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)18:30:15') {

'>>5974324
>>5974328
>>5974336
Supporting this fantastic response.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974703 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)18:38:21') {

'>>5974695
we tried the hard way, there's always the easy way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzo4rZxF3x4'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974711 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)18:46:22') {

'>>5974695
Oh we could bring up the literal mental battle we had to fight against dragonold.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5974787 && dateTime=='04/10/24(Wed)21:40:15') {

'>>5974324
>>5974328
>>5974336

supporting the loooooong response chain'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5975081 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)06:36:13') {

'>>5974711
This would be a good addition
>>5974336
Now that I've managed some sleep I might also add somewhere in my ramblings
>Do you think this a gift bestowed upon me by some benevolent god? No, this a curse thrust upon me by a mewling welp in it's final deaththrows. Some misbegotten attempt for the dragon to be reborn from my flesh. Not for me to uplifted from the herd of Humanity, but a vain attempt for the a second chance for a monster to live and destroy.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5975509 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)19:16:18') {

'>>5975081
Nice add it'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5975589 && dateTime=='04/11/24(Thu)20:27:38') {

'>>5975081
worth adding in he seems to not understand how this curse started or that to even get to this "stable" status we are at was a nightmare in of itself'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5978974 && dateTime=='04/16/24(Tue)06:15:41') {

'Well, if he doesn’t quite get it by a simple explanation, you suppose that, instead, you’re going to have to use your very best attempt at being an orator. You actually enjoy telling stories, it’s just a shame you don’t know so many.
And, up until recently, you weren’t in a position to tell many stories either. You take a deep breath, and try to maintain your emotional stability.
“Lord… I am Reynauld Numitor and I am human. I have slain a dragon, as a human, with a blade, a gun and a rock, no magic required. So, I ask of you, what do I NEED to gain so badly that I would sacrifice my very humanity for it?”

The lord leans back for a moment, apparently understand you’ve got an extended point to make. Or he doesn’t know what to say yet, either way, you take advantage of his doubt to keep on talking.

“Would you have me follow in the steps of my father? Would you see a parade of knights come to slay me? I told you about my family not to measure Noble lineage, but as a warning! You ask why I do not embrace the demise of my humanity, the answer is simple, there is nothing worth that cost.”
The lord doesn’t agree there, and finally speaks once more:
“Humanity is a title, and little more. You are human so long as you call yourself that. And, even now, look at the power that’s been granted to you! A crossbow bolt is deflected by your bare skin!”

You scoff:
“I have scales now, but before I had steel armour to do the same job.”
And there’s more, of course. You decide to get into that.
“Now I have claws, before I had a sword to tear Monsters apart.”
The lord is about to say something, but you interrupt him before he can speak.
“Now I breathe fire, but before I had pistols to belch fire and death. Humanity has struggled, successfully, to gain everything a dragon has!”
The lord, however, quickly points out something important:
“And yet, what is stopping you from having both? Do your scales reject steel? Do your claws stop you from using the sword you very much still carry? Did your guns cease functioning because you can breathe fire?”

You shake your head:
“Not my point. What I can do has not changed, only the matter in which I do them. What have I really gained, is it worth what it has cost me already l? Do you think a dragon would make for a better ruler? I have met the god king of the dragons. I can already tell you that a dragon ruler is little more than the greatest folly!”

The lord stands up, faster than a man of his girth would usually manage.
“But you are not that god king! Have you so little respect for your person that your body is what makes you!? What good does this nebulous idea of “humanity” truly offer you that you no longer have now!?”'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5978975 && dateTime=='04/16/24(Tue)06:17:17') {

'“Very well. Have you ever been so angry, so enraged, that you ate a man? Clamped your teeth around his belly and splayed the guts just to devour them? Do your instincts tell you that humans are nothing but cattle? Livestock that thinks highly of itself!?”
The lord scoffs.
“To kill is intrinsic to humanity as well. Not to mention, have you met the average peasant out there!? The only difference between cattle and man is ambition.”

Well, that’s one hell of a statement.
“Fool that you are! You would toss away ambition for a curse because it is easier! You order me to become as an animal! The cost of losing control is more complicated than a dog eating a roast before you let it! It would lead to the deaths of many people!”

“You are a man of war. How is it any different from when a soldier loses control! You know what happens to a man when the fighting is over, and all that remains is blood! I can see it in your eyes!”

Bringing up the crusades… You feel your heart squeeze, and for a moment, a pit of fear seems to settle in your stomach, as you yell back at this… creature.
“YES! AND IT IS THROUGH HUMANITY, THROUGH EMPATHY, THAT WE STEP AWAY FROM SUCH HORRORS!!”
You exhale… smoke shooting out of your nostrils unbidden.

“It is my humanity that lets me wrestle control of these instincts. I have seen what lies down the path of letting go of humanity, to see yourself above it! I saw it in the crusades. I saw it with my house! I saw it archmage Ogg… and just now, it almost took hold of Sarah! I am not some… transcendent saint! I am not so proud to think that I will be the ONE exception! The person who can beat the odds and wrangle more control from this power than IT claims control over me!”

The lord cross his arms:
“So is that it? You fear power itself? You accept, then, that most of humanity is little more than animals, and you fear being a wolf where others are sheep?”

“Did you think this was a gift? Bestowed on me by a benevolent God? This is a curse! A curse thrust upon me by a mewling whelp in its final death throes! A spiteful, misbegotten attempt for the creature to be reborn in my flesh!”

“Yes, of course. And does this creature still call to you? Do you still listen to it? Do you reject the notion of choices!? Are you a man or a slave, Numitor!? You have killed it once, and from what I have been told, it has been slain once more! The failure of a wizard does not mean you or my daughter will go mad! You assume your body is what makes you, when it is YOU that makes the body!”

You look at the man… and this is simply too easy.
“So you have chosen to be obese? You said you were strong once, yet evidently, you have thrown this away.”

The man flinches… and falls quiet. It seems there is no retort to that.

“I am Reynauld Numitor. Nothing less.”'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5978976 && dateTime=='04/16/24(Tue)06:20:00') {

'The man looks away.
“You don’t… You’ll regret this, when your body begins to fail. Sarah will regret this. Her mother is but a taste of what she shall be. Don’t… reject this. Control it. Find a way! If you love humanity so, then become its guardian!”

“I am, and will be, a guardian for humanity. I will not reject humanity to do so.”

Lord Ambrosius just… sits back down. All at once, he just seems like a tired old man, instead of the brash loudmouth from a moment ago.
“...I see. Very well. You’ll take my daughter with you, then. I couldn’t stop her even if I tried, I bet. Then… I ask one thing of you.”
He looks at you.
“Beware the court. Do not let them take my daughter… and please. When it is possible. Tell her I always loved her, and wanted what was best for her. But I just couldn’t understand her.”

Wow. He just… gave up entirely. This is a lot more sad than you had hoped.

>You should tell her yourself. Tonight, perhaps, once she was able to calm down

>I’ll tell her. We’ll be leaving tonight.

>Try to speak with this man
This is just kind of sad.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5979083 && dateTime=='04/16/24(Tue)11:03:06') {

'>>5978976
Be atrong for her, one more time. Control your own instincts to be the father she needs, right now. It might help her to keep her own humanity.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5979307 && dateTime=='04/16/24(Tue)17:44:43') {

'>>5978976
>>You should tell her yourself. Tonight, perhaps, once she was able to calm down'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5979373 && dateTime=='04/16/24(Tue)19:41:27') {

'>>5978976

Beautiful and Sad update Spine'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5979506 && dateTime=='04/16/24(Tue)23:47:00') {

'>>5978976
>Lord Ambrosius, it would be prudent for you to convey this to her personally. Perhaps tonight, when her emotions have settled, would be an opportune moment. Your words will hold more weight than you may realize. While I cannot guarantee it will repair all that has transpired between you, know that the initial step on any path is often the most challenging.
As for the court," assume a noble knight's stance, despite your form's limitations, "I offer you my solemn oath as a wandering Knight and my unwavering pledge as the last scion of the house of Numitor. Any who dare to bring harm upon Saraph shall face a swift and merciless fate."
>"I understand that our views differ, but in time, I hope you will comprehend why I hold mine. For what good is it to conquer the world, if you must surrender everything that makes you who you are, all that you cherish and could become? I have witnessed many well-meaning souls set out on a path to eradicate the very decay they loathed, only to succumb to the darkness they vowed to eradicate.
>They deceive themselves, believing they can remain in control, that they can become the exception who employs power for good. Alas, by the time they acquire the might they sought, their very essence has been corrupted, and they are but another malevolent force marring the land.
>This world will not be saved or transformed by monstrous entities or self-proclaimed ascendant beings who have forsaken their humanity. The true champions are the ordinary men and women who persevere against insurmountable odds, the unsung heroes who selflessly lay down their lives to repel the horrors threatening to consume what remains of our civilizations and hope.
It is these resolute individuals,
>placing one foot in front of the other despite overwhelming reasons to surrender, who stand unwavering against the encroaching darkness. As long as the radiant flame of the human spirit burns in the hearts of humankind, no malevolent force, no matter how formidable, can hope to prevail. That is the power of humanity, Lord Amrosius, what power could ever hope to measure up against it

great update, I hope we can prevent his depression arc before it begins, seems Lord Ambrosius has lost his faith in humanity, but deep down wants to see this power used to make things better but sadly that isn't how this works'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5979507 && dateTime=='04/16/24(Tue)23:48:00') {

'>>5979506
shit that was all meant to be in Greentext save the last line, I messed up the formatting'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5979565 && dateTime=='04/17/24(Wed)00:55:32') {

'>>5979506
I appreciate your sentiment and largely agree with it, but espousing an egalitarian spiel about the nobility of the everyman's selfless spirit isn't going to work on a guy who literally responded to "one time I lost my mind and ate a man" with 'well, commoners are pretty much just livestock anyway, lol".

I think we should just take the W and get him to tell Sarah he loves her.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5979595 && dateTime=='04/17/24(Wed)01:31:16') {

'>>5979565
fair, I just can't help but see some hints that he wasn't always the heartless bastard he portrays himself as now, if he was then he wouldn't care about his daughter as he does and wouldn't try to do what he sees as best to give her the best chance in life in his game of thrones way.

I think we are seeing the aftermath of a man with a good heart who has lived in a terrible place and has grown extremely jaded with time. Will it reach him probably not, do I think it is still worth saying, yeah might stoke the smoldering embers of his own humanity.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5981611 && dateTime=='04/19/24(Fri)17:23:48') {

'>>5979595
I think he's like lots of rich or highborn people and values his own family and friends, but not those he grew up thinking of as essentially subhuman beasts, ie. the weak and lowly born. He might have had the caapcity to value the common folk once, as a chikd, but barring soem dramstic paradigm-shifting event I doubt he can change his spots as an old man.'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5982192 && dateTime=='04/20/24(Sat)10:14:41') {

'"I think it's important that you tell her yourself, lord." You say, but you need to make this a very clear thing, before he moves a bit too fast. Paracelsus is in absolutely no state to hear apologies from him now. "That said, once emotions have settled, you understand? Tonight, maybe, at dinner."
"Yes... At... At dinner. Though I doubt that it will repair much. We haven't seen eye to eye on anything for... Almost as long as I can remember. It was a fire in her that I admired, and yet it was something I hated." He admits. More vulnerable than you would have ever expected the man, frankly. So... it makes sense that you would dig into what he said, as well.
"I understand that our views are still quite different, lord. You think ruling the world would be a virtue, regardless of what one might give up on the way. I've seen what happens to people that set out to eradicate what they deem scornful. Soon enough..."
You sigh, remembering the many people that you have slain with this kind of thinking. The path to the hells was always built on good intentions.
"They all reach the conclusion that what those they hated were doing, is something that should do. Just... "better". Usually, the only change is who benefits."

The lord remains quiet. You just get to the point:
"The world is rotten. It's true. But it won't be saved by some inhuman "other". Humanity's flaws aren't something that something *inhuman* could ever solve. The true champions will always be men and women who persevere. People that look at the past, learn from it, and look towards the future with the intent of doing better."
The lord scoffs:
"Few people that think like that, indeed. It is no wonder people hope for something greater than them... Most people are like cattle, hoping for something to simply solve their issues. And, I suppose, I am no different. As fine as my clothing is, it will not hide a pig, will it?"
"Don't talk like that. Come one... Put one foot in front of the other, stand tall against the dark. As long as the fire lasts, the flame of the human spirit, then nothing will truly prevail against us. That is the power of humanity. It is what other monsters, more powerful monsters than a mere dragon, have tried for centuries already to snuff out. And here we stand. Only ever growing stronger."

The man stares at you for a moment.
"You truly believe that, don't you?"
"With all my heart."
"...You are worthy of my daughter. No doubt. Well. I suggest you walk around the castle but keep your.... changeling with you. Your little... kobolds will be permitted to walk around, but if they do anything untoward, they will be kept in *your* charge."
"Of course."

And... you're free. Now... what's next.

>Go find the lady of the house.

>Go find Paracelsus' brother. She was headed towards him as well, if you recall...

>Skulk around a bit, and ask the servants about what happens here

>Speak to the soldiers out in the yard.
You might be able to teach them something.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5982215 && dateTime=='04/20/24(Sat)10:51:20') {

'>>5982192
>Go find Paracelsus' brother. She was headed towards him as well, if you recall...'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5982251 && dateTime=='04/20/24(Sat)11:42:21') {

'>>5982192
>Go find Paracelsus' brother. She was headed towards him as well, if you recall...'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5982278 && dateTime=='04/20/24(Sat)12:33:00') {

'>>5982192
>>Speak to the soldiers out in the yard.

we have earned the respect of the father now maybe we earn the respect of his men? I think Paracelsus will be fine for a while longer'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5984341 && dateTime=='04/22/24(Mon)17:44:29') {

'>>5982192
>>Go find Paracelsus' brother. She was headed towards him as well, if you recall...'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5985750 && dateTime=='04/24/24(Wed)06:06:40') {

'It doesn’t take that long to figure out where Paracelsus went, fortunately. Though, as you walk, you finally decide to talk to the changeling boy. It’s been long overdue.
“So, boy… How are you doing?”
“Everywhere I go, people seem intent on killing me. I see their stares. You could not understand me, and the one who did sees me as… as some kind of experiment.”
…You stop walking, and turn to him, genuinely concerned.
“I… did not mean to cause more distress.”
“You’re not. You’re… not like the people here. I’m not even sure if you still count as a person, to be fair.”
Well, that stings a little.
“Are you fae? Like me?”
“No… Just cursed by a dragon. And a dragon is… Frankly, I find it strange there are none over here. They are a plague across the mainland, but this land… Hm. Perhaps there is too little gold.”

The boy has another idea.
“Perhaps the gold is harder to steal here? We are a strong country, my lord… Or, perhaps the monsters like me scare them off?”
The competition would make sense… Dragons are strong, but they prefer easy fights, as well. But there is something far more important.
“You are not a monster. Just a victim.”
He scoffs.
“The boy I replaced is a victim! Who knows what they did to him! They put me in their place, and now… Now I see what I truly am. I don’t know… I don’t know what I’ll do even if I’m changed. Do I head back? Introduce myself as the stolen boy?”

He closes his eyes.
“Sorry, my lord. I did not mean to bother you.”
“You’re not bothering me. This is important to think about. If you believe there is no home to be found… Perhaps you could stay with me. Do you like the kobolts?”
“I… I do. They don’t always understand me, but they are kind. The pink one, however… She says that being human would be bad.”

Hm.

“She says that, yes. I don’t agree. She is a fine woman, but her hatred of humanity is… undeniable.”
“Why do you still tolerate it?”
“Pink? Because she is a hard worker, she is loyal, and she guides the klan, in her own way. We may not agree on everything, but I consider her a friend. A close friend, at that.”
You hear giggling behind you from the kobolts that are following you. Seems they’re excited to tell her about that.

“I was not speaking of Pink.”
…Ahh.'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5985753 && dateTime=='04/24/24(Wed)06:07:57') {

'“Humanity, then? I believe I made my point clear against Ambrosius.”
“No, but… You say humanity is what makes you able to resist being a dragon; To resist the instincts. The reason you don’t want this power is because you fear what it’ll make you do. So, you are headed to the wizard.”
“Court mage.” you correct.
“...That’s what I said? But, you are headed for the wizard. Why not ask him to kill the instincts? Remove the downsides?”
Easy enough to answer:
“I do not think I should trust a relative stranger to adjust my mind.”
The boy, however, is smart as a whip, it turns out.
“But you trust him enough to adjust your body?”

You fall silent. For a moment.
“It’s a risk I must take. The body, I can see. The mind, I never would.”
“What if you regain your body, but don’t lose those instincts?”

Well.
“I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, I suppose”

Then, you hear Paracelsus, loudly arguing with somebody. Her brother, guessing from the voice.
“I HAVEN’T ‘GIVEN UP’ ANYTHING! YOU’RE THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO INTENDS TO SERVE THAT BLOATED GAS BAG UNTIL HE CROAKS!” Paracelsus yells. Seems she’s still quite angry. The other figure is equally angry, and you think that the tempers come from the dad’s side of the family.
“I HAD TO WORK FOR THE PRIVILEGE TO BE HERE, YOU SPOILED BRAT! I WENT OUT AND FOUGHT HIS ENEMIES TO BE SEEN AS ANYTHING MORE THAN A BASTARD! YOU WERE JUST BORN INTO THIS!”
“AND WHAT A JOY THAT IS! BEING MARRIED OFF TO SERVE AS ANOTHER MAN’S TROPHY! AT LEAST YOU DO WHAT YOU DESIRE!”

You’d better step in carefully.

>Enter the room, say nothing. Your presence will likely change their tune at least somewhat.

>Enter the room, tell them to calm down

>Don’t enter the room, wait it out.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5986222 && dateTime=='04/24/24(Wed)21:48:27') {

'>>5985753
I am sourly tempted to stay outside and let this play out, but my better judgement says we should go in at minimum listen and intervene if need be.

>>Enter the room, say nothing. Your presence will likely change their tune at least somewhat.

being a moderating presence is fine but let them continue is what I say'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5986278 && dateTime=='04/24/24(Wed)23:02:57') {

'>>5985753
>Enter the room, say nothing. Your presence will likely change their tune at least somewhat.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5986297 && dateTime=='04/24/24(Wed)23:30:28') {

'>>5985753
>Enter the room, say nothing. Your presence will likely change their tune at least somewhat.
"Sorry, are we interrupting?"'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5986337 && dateTime=='04/25/24(Thu)00:24:02') {

'>>5985753

>Enter the room, say nothing. Your presence will likely change their tune at least somewhat.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5987981 && dateTime=='04/27/24(Sat)08:38:55') {

'>>5985753
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5989539 && dateTime=='04/28/24(Sun)17:46:10') {

'You decide that the best way to deal with this is to just be present. You enter the room, and they don't seem to notice you right away.
"ARE YOU REALLY THAT GOD DAMNED ANGRY AT AN EMPTY MARRIAGE!? CONQUER THE OTHER AND FUCK WHATEVER YOU WANT IF IT'S LOVE YOU WANT!"
"I AM NOT A WHORE, BASTARD! I HAVE A MAN THAT I LOVE! I LOVE HIM BECAUSE-"
She notices you, finally, and gasps, her words getting stuck in her throat... but then, after a short pause, she continues. she stopped yelling, at least.
"I love him because he loves me. For who I am, not what I represent!"
The brother looks at you, with some disdain... Though when he looks back at his sister, you suppose there is some level of... doubt, you suppose.
"...I just don't understand you. You were born into high society. You had the luxury of schooling, and against the odds, you took after your father over your mother. You're actually intelligent, you could probably be the queen consort if you applied yourself!"
Paracelsus recoils in disgust:

"Hells... Is that all you think I'm good for!? I'm more than a damned vagina!"
"The Gods all gave us our weapons. That you refuse to use yours, is your problem".

Paracelsus rolls her eyes.
"Alright, very tactful. I'm... Damn it, Why do we always do this!? We just met up again, and we're already yelling about this... this dumb royalty crap, *again*!"
"It's important." Her brother replies, and she just sighs.
"Not to me! And it shouldn't be to you! You have so much more opportunities than being my father's lapdog!"
"Which. Ones." He shoots back, and Paracelsus, uncharacteristically...
Falls silent.

You hazard a guess:
"While I'm not knowledgeable about this land... I suspect she means that you're capable. Driven, almost certainly."
The brother's glare softens for a moment, and Paracelsus is clearly grateful for the assistance.
"Yes! Yes... that's... If I'm blessed to take after my father, then so did you. You're everything he boasts about once being."
"Except I'm a bastard. Born out of wedlock. A small-time commander is the best I can hope for, short of your father dying and all other eligible heirs with him. I'm no kinslayer, and I swore an oath, so that won't happen." He says, sounding almost disappointed at his own morals.
God, this country...
"Then become something more. Become a Hero, wander the land, right some wrongs. You could be more than a commander."
He scoffs.
"A Hero? Don't make me laugh. The king is not well enough to appoint Heroes, even if I was eligible. The realms are safe without the Heroes of old. Have been for close to half a decade."
"They... Aren't around? Hah."
Paracelsus shakes her head.
"Reynauld is a Hero. Or, at least, their country's equivalent. He has to buy his own gear, and that's about the difference."'
;

}

if(Spinejuice && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5989540 && dateTime=='04/28/24(Sun)17:47:11') {

'The brother just stares... and his stern face finally makes way for a smile.
"...Goodness, I didn't realize it yet. But... You're still dreaming, aren't you? Dreaming of the world in books. I thought you stepped away from that when you became a woman, but I suppose the little girl in you never left."
"It's not dreaming if it's true. I'm malformed beyond humanity, changing into something else, something... Both less and more. But I'm happier than I would have ever imagined."

She slowly steps towards you... and then grabs your arm, hugging it tight.
The brother's smile doesn't stop, though there is a sadness to it.
"If only we could switch mothers, aye?"
"Aye... Where is she, anyhow?"
"Her room, most likely. These days, the drink does not satisfy her anymore. She has taken to writing truly horrible books. The woman could scarcely be called literate with what dreck she writes."
"You've read it, then?"
"On occasion. She's come fully undone, Sarah."

...Hm.
There is a moment of trepidation for Paracelsus.
"I've never known her to be sober for long. But now she writes?"
"And she weeps. Even father tried to help her, but she refuses to see him, or anybody."

There is another pause, and Paracelsus swallows.
"I'll... Try to see her. Later. Now, brother, I... I'm sorry for what I said. I don't... I don't want to leave with another fight, you understand? I have to go to court. The court mage will prevent our... Degeneration. I... I admit I still wish to be a dragon, on some level. To live forever, to research forever, to be a beacon of knowledge. But..."
She looks to you.
"I suspect... I'll have to make do with less, in order to have the most valuable thing in the world."
She presses her head against yours, and she begins to blush, before quickly explaining:
"...I'm not usually this sappy, to be clear. I'm just... vulnerable."
"Of course... And you, Reynauld... Half-dragon. Did you wish to say anything to me?"'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5989830 && dateTime=='04/29/24(Mon)00:10:40') {

'>>5989540
>"A chosen Family can be just as valuable and worthwhile as a family born through Blood."

Something as painfully sappy'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5989834 && dateTime=='04/29/24(Mon)00:20:32') {

'>>5989540
"if you're keeping your oath out of virtue, and over and above the pursuit of power, then it seems this land isn't without heroes after all. I don't know you, and won't rpetend to know your circumstances in truth... But our sister is right, i think. I too have had to 'make do with less' for the sake of being true to myself and doing what's right, for me and for the world."'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5989839 && dateTime=='04/29/24(Mon)00:25:29') {

'>>5989540
>"In truth I had come to find Sarah, but I am happy to meet you as well, and I will say this I won't claim to know you, but Sarah thinks highly of you and that is enough for me, along with your words leads me to believe that you are a good man, and in this land I have found very few that I could or would say that about. And in these times one good man can make all the difference. If you should ever decide you wish it, our group isn't shy about taking on new members."'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5989840 && dateTime=='04/29/24(Mon)00:26:43') {

'>>5989839
Good idea, should offer him an in to our little Klan.'
;

}

if(Anonymous && title=='undefined' && postNumber==5990286 && dateTime=='04/29/24(Mon)18:47:21') {

'>>5989839
Supporting.'
;

}

}
}